What's in your 4U Palette?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Shakespeare
Common Wiggler

Re: What's in your 4U Palette?

Post by Shakespeare » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:54 pm

Rocking this right now... my original plan was to have the Palette just be a "going on a trip" case, but it's turned into a separate little industrial drum machine. Last 8 hp are going to go to a 4 channel mute module and... well, something else :hmm:

soggybag
Wiggling with Experience

Post by soggybag » Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:09 am

What do you use for the out on your 4u palette? I'm split between the 1u headphone out or the 1u line out. Really I'd like to have both can they be connected internally?

I'd use the headphone often but the line out would get a lot of use.

mrhooks
Common Wiggler

Post by mrhooks » Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:44 am

soggybag wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:09 am
Really I'd like to have both can they be connected internally?
The line out has a 3-pin output that can send to a 3-pin input on the headphone out.

I wish they would have consolidated the two into a single module; it would save a few HP by eliminating unnecessary input jacks, more if it used a single shared volume knob. I also suggested redesigning the headphone out and line out so they can be used together to allow cueing and mixing their inputs together, but it's all wishful thinking.
If you have an original MI Rings panel you're willing to part with, please PM me.

soggybag
Wiggling with Experience

Post by soggybag » Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:02 am

mrhooks wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:44 am
soggybag wrote:
Really I'd like to have both can they be connected internally?
The line out has a 3-pin output that can send to a 3-pin input on the headphone out.

I wish they would have consolidated the two into a single module; it would save a few HP by eliminating unnecessary input jacks, more if it used a single shared volume knob. I also suggested redesigning the headphone out and line out so they can be used together to allow cueing and mixing their inputs together, but it's all wishful thinking.
Good ideas. I’d like to have both headphone and line out. The line out 1u panel seems to waste the jacks built into the palette, I’d like these to act as line out without taking up panel space in the 1u row.

I just ordered a palette but just went with the headphone jack for now.

Yaitw
Learning to Wiggle

Re:

Post by Yaitw » Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:44 pm

gluepet wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:52 am
exper wrote:I'm thinking of either getting another (or swapping modules from my main cases) to make it a control skiff:
Looking at doing something similar for a hybrid system w/vcv. Maybe swap the second tetrapad for an es-8 and a pam’s...
The ES-8 will never fit into the Palette tho.
Too shallow

versipellis
Wiggling with Experience

Post by versipellis » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:31 pm

It's doable, Os suggested risers and people have done it.
tunes: https://www.soundcloud.com/dycedot
in boston? I run nights: https://www.facebook.com/4OTFEvents/
selling [Moog Sub Phatty, Xaoc Belgrad, NE Cursus Iteritas]: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=229821

mrhooks
Common Wiggler

Post by mrhooks » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:03 am

soggybag wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:02 am
The line out 1u panel seems to waste the jacks built into the palette
How so?
I’d like these to act as line out without taking up panel space in the 1u row.
Mixup can connect directly to the jacks internally. But AFAIK Mixup does not drop signals to line level, so that suggests that the last set of stereo inputs, which don't have an attenuator, will be output at full Eurorack level. Assuming Intellijel doesn't want to redesign Mixup to include line level output, perhaps they could add a jumper to lower those inputs?
If you have an original MI Rings panel you're willing to part with, please PM me.

versipellis
Wiggling with Experience

Post by versipellis » Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:01 pm

mrhooks wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:03 am
soggybag wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:02 am
The line out 1u panel seems to waste the jacks built into the palette
How so?
I’d like these to act as line out without taking up panel space in the 1u row.
Mixup can connect directly to the jacks internally. But AFAIK Mixup does not drop signals to line level, so that suggests that the last set of stereo inputs, which don't have an attenuator, will be output at full Eurorack level. Assuming Intellijel doesn't want to redesign Mixup to include line level output, perhaps they could add a jumper to lower those inputs?
I can't confirm it, but I'm pretty sure Mixup to the output stereo jacks on the Palette case does attenuate. I'm not doing any attenuation on my mixer and its coming in at the same level as most of my outboard stuff.
tunes: https://www.soundcloud.com/dycedot
in boston? I run nights: https://www.facebook.com/4OTFEvents/
selling [Moog Sub Phatty, Xaoc Belgrad, NE Cursus Iteritas]: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=229821

mrhooks
Common Wiggler

Post by mrhooks » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:09 pm

versipellis wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:01 pm
I can't confirm it, but I'm pretty sure Mixup to the output stereo jacks on the Palette case does attenuate. I'm not doing any attenuation on my mixer and its coming in at the same level as most of my outboard stuff.
I guess that connector is different from the front jacks then. That's good to know!

davidjames
Wiggling with Experience

Post by davidjames » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:22 pm

soggybag wrote:
What do you use for the out on your 4u palette? I'm split between the 1u headphone out or the 1u line out. Really I'd like to have both can they be connected internally?

I think you can use both. In the Stereo Line Out 1U manual, it says you can use the 3-pin connector to duplicate the stereo signal to the 1U headphones, and use the 6-pin connector to drive the 1/4" jacks on the case. Although it doesn't explicitly say you can use both at the same time, unless I missed it. I hope it does since I would use it this way.

soggybag
Wiggling with Experience

Post by soggybag » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:07 pm

davidjames wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:22 pm
soggybag wrote:

I think you can use both. In the Stereo Line Out 1U manual, it says you can use the 3-pin connector to duplicate the stereo signal to the 1U headphones, and use the 6-pin connector to drive the 1/4" jacks on the case. Although it doesn't explicitly say you can use both at the same time, unless I missed it. I hope it does since I would use it this way.
Thanks for that reply. I’ll give it a try. I bought palette and a headphone 1u module, they’re in the mail.

soggybag
Wiggling with Experience

Post by soggybag » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:46 pm

I bought a Palette case and the 1U Stereo Line Out. The Palette is pretty awesome. Works great and looks good. It’s a good size for thinking about a couple modules or contained ideas. The depth isn’t a problem though I do have a module that doesn’t fit.

Here’s a question: I have the Stereo Line Out, it connects to the built in jacks with a 3 pin cable. If I get the 1U headphone Out can I connect the line out to the headphone out and still send the line out to the jacks on the case? It would cool to have the line out along with the headphones. You could listen to the headphones and record from the line out.

ATW
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ATW » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:06 am

Loving the palette so far.

I’m planning to fill the remaining 8hp with a Tiptop one sampler and an mk4, that’ll give me a plenty of sequencing and sound sources to play with and loads of triggers, gates, envelopes and midi data. I am using this primarily to create rhythmic patterns and polyrhythms, sometimes melodic. I’ll also be bringing my external semi modular monosynth into one of the vca inputs. it is light on fx, I am going to lean on the mk4 for that.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:08 pm

I made a little video about my use of the Palette earlier this month; had a blast playing with this over the holiday. Using the 301 as a looper and sampler playing, and pushing the SY-05 to the max :

MarkSinister
Learning to Wiggle

Post by MarkSinister » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:50 pm

ATW wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:06 am

I’m planning to fill the remaining 8hp with a Tiptop one sampler and an mk4
Maybe worthwhile checking if other wrigglers have been able to get the Tip-top One and Disting Mk 4 to fit in a palette case as they are both relatively deep modules. I guess it depends on where the power cable is located on these modules. Good luck.

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:01 pm

MarkSinister wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:50 pm
ATW wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:06 am

I’m planning to fill the remaining 8hp with a Tiptop one sampler and an mk4
Maybe worthwhile checking if other wrigglers have been able to get the Tip-top One and Disting Mk 4 to fit in a palette case as they are both relatively deep modules. I guess it depends on where the power cable is located on these modules. Good luck.
I fit a disting 4 in a palette. Not much room to spare, but it did fit.
Current system:
http://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/5549

FS/T: Metropolis, Jellysquasher
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=229687

ATW
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ATW » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:32 am

MarkSinister wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:50 pm
Good call, thanks. I was able to fit the tall dog uplaits which is 43mm depth (incl ribbon), mk4 is 42mm (not sure if that includes the ribbon). The palette case depth is a bit shallower on the sides of the case, will have to do a bit of strategic ribbon tetris, for sure.🤞

ATW
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ATW » Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:09 pm

Here's where I landed with the current state of my 4U Palette. Everything fit—a bit snug on the right half, to be sure. More modules = more cables to wrangle, especially on the right inside corner where there are doulbed up power cables for audio + uMidi, along w/ the usb power port. I wasn't able to get the exact module layout I wanted, I wanted the Mk4 further to the right, but pretty close. OK off to have fun with this…
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Spir4L
Common Wiggler

Post by Spir4L » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:42 pm

Hi guys,
I was thinking about creating a minimal setup to use together with my Digitakt and this is what I ended up with:

what are your thoughts?

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:57 pm

This should be quite fun to jam with, but maybe light on modulation ? Although I never quite got what you could do with Drezno.

I put this little thing together for the coming week, decided to go with the LIP this time.

It sounds like this :
http://www.instagram.com/p/B8o5ukrhFMb/

cjstandley
1-Post Wiggler

Post by cjstandley » Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:35 pm

Current plan, might change function for MI stages and three sisters for squawk dirty.

ATW
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ATW » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:03 pm

Looks good, keeping things nicely focused. There’s always the possibility of micro plaits and clouds to free up some hp.

Jason Brock
just visiting

Post by Jason Brock » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:44 pm

I've named it lerilletui

Nutritional Zero
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Nutritional Zero » Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:12 pm

5D913AE7-D6CC-418F-9DAC-DD357569F140.jpeg

ATW
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ATW » Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:50 pm

Looks like some nice audio mangling is on deck. And the black & gold & silver play well together here. HWhat is the module furthest to the left w/ the clear knob?

Cheers

Return to “Eurorack Modules”