Twisted Electrons MEGAfm

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

darcmorcel
Common Wiggler

Twisted Electrons MEGAfm

Post by darcmorcel » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:13 am

A new desktop synth by Twisted Electrons, the MEGAfm, based on the SEGA Megadrive/Genesis soundchip :

https://twisted-electrons.com/product/megafm/

peripatitis

Re: Twisted Electrons MEGAfm

Post by peripatitis » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:19 am

They make some nice design choices at Twisted Elctrons.
I don't know why I should "care" about the sega thingy.
But if the price is right..
Does it sound nice or is it limited to chiptunes and bit-reduced sounds?

darcmorcel
Common Wiggler

Post by darcmorcel » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:25 am

You can already listen some sound demos on the product page and see if it suites you :)

xonetacular
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by xonetacular » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:26 am

This looks cool. Definitely dont need but i love the therapsid

BenA718
Veteran Wiggler

Post by BenA718 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:29 am

That certainly looks interesting! I have two AY3 modules and they get used a lot, especially the noise! With two AY3s and a multichannel sequencer like the NerdSeq you have everything you need to make chiptune; I use them more for flavor. This definitely has me interested, though...

jomomobobo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jomomobobo » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:19 am

I'm definitely interested in this. I've really been liking the demos and like that it's not just chiptunes. They layout looks well thought out, if a little cramped.

I have a TherapSid MkII and have really liked using it compared to my old SidStation, though changing patches is... grating. I really hope they make a Mk III and give it the same treatment as the MEGAfm (1/4" jacks, 5-pin MIDI, headphone out, step sequencer... and maybe an optional split-second mute when changing patches).

I'm tempted to sign up on the pre-order.

Annwn
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Annwn » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:27 pm

I was hoping someone would release a realtime and characterful FM machine in this current swarm of wavetable synths. Could be perfect!
Agreed, there's absolutely no reason why a 4-op FM chip needs to be exclusively for chiptune sounds either.
I finally bought an FB-01 the other day and with a good editor it's capable of some truly beautiful sounds. I imagine this would be similar just with more crust.

Sir Ruff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sir Ruff » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:22 pm

Really excited about this, basically an insta-buy. I have really been enjoying using the OSS Mastro recently for a pretty wide plethora of murky/dirty FM sounds, but the controls are definitely pretty limited (which so far has been fine). I commend TE for going all out and finally doing what is required to make FM fully accessible (ok, there is the jellhaus programmer but I really think 4-OP is probably most people’s mental limit for FM). One thing I AM wondering about tho is how much of that first generation aliasing it has. I am partial to clean FM sounds and never really liked the grunge/noise of the early stuff.

I do think the whole Sega association is a bit pointless though and unnecessarily gives this potentially self-defeating connotations of chiptune stuff, as has already been noted above. Just because the chip happened to be used in a game system doesn’t mean actually has anything to do with “chiptune” type music, i.e. squarewaves and swept noise, anymore than a DX or TX. At least the demos show it can do some great sounding stuff.
Benjamin Vraja (1950-1996) - Anthology: https://benjaminvraja.bandcamp.com/album/anthology

rowsbywoof
Ultra Wiggler

Post by rowsbywoof » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:12 am

The Yamaha YM2612 chip is pretty dope, and fueled a lot of the soundtracks of my youth. Having a couple in the MEGAfm with a pretty decent looking interface is tempting. I have an old GenMDM setup that gets zero use, mostly because it's a pain to work with :D I'm not sure I'd use the MEGAfm, but I really want it.

Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave

Post by Voltcontrol » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:39 am

peripatitis wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:19 am
474 Euro excluding VAT their site says. That's more than a used Digitone was my first thought reading the number.

The specs and sound demo's are pretty tasty I have to say.

I'm interested in a clear shot of the panel, if anyone can find one, please share.
So far only fuzzy screengrabs from their intro video:
Last edited by Voltcontrol on Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave

Post by Voltcontrol » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:52 am

rowsbywoof wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:12 am
The Yamaha YM2612 chip is pretty dope, and fueled a lot of the soundtracks of my youth. Having a couple in the MEGAfm with a pretty decent looking interface is tempting. I have an old GenMDM setup that gets zero use, mostly because it's a pain to work with :D I'm not sure I'd use the MEGAfm, but I really want it.
I'm just starting to read into GenMDM. Would you say that it's hard to setup, get results from or is it reliability that's a pain?

rowsbywoof
Ultra Wiggler

Post by rowsbywoof » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:05 am

Voltcontrol wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:52 am
rowsbywoof wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:12 am
I'm just starting to read into GenMDM. Would you say that it's hard to setup, get results from or is it reliability that's a pain?
Just a little weird to setup, but not really that bad. The tools work well, and I’ve actually not had any reliability issues with it... It just takes more setup than I usually want to bother with. Super cool device, though, I definitely had a blast with it in the past.

This looks to be pretty immediate, though, and having access to parameters without needing a computer is a huge plus to me. I can see plunking this down on a desk and having some fun. With the GenMDM, half the time I was more tempted to pop in Outrun then make music with it. ;)

Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave

Post by Voltcontrol » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:13 am

rowsbywoof wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:05 am
This looks to be pretty immediate, though, and having access to parameters without needing a computer is a huge plus to me.
This bit helped me make a decision, thank you. :cloud:

slicetwo
Common Wiggler

Post by slicetwo » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:06 am

Forgive my ignorance, but since this is all digital, what's so special about the Yamaha chips vs. something like the sound from FM8, the Digitone, or a FM app on my iPad?
Radioactive Sandwich | Spotify | Bandcamp | Instagram

Digitone/Digitakt/0Coast/Octatrack MKII/VirusC/Fatman/iPad/FLStudio

Things for sale on Reverb

Sir Ruff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sir Ruff » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:42 am

slicetwo wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:06 am
Forgive my ignorance, but since this is all digital, what's so special about the Yamaha chips vs. something like the sound from FM8, the Digitone, or a FM app on my iPad?
If you ignore the grungier character of early chips, there’s technically no difference. But this is also like asking what’s the difference between using a hardware synthesizer and a VST :-) and when it comes to FM, in particular, I really think having hands on controls is beneficial because there’s a lot more guess work that goes into what kind of sound you end up with. For me at least, having immediate access to all those parameters makes the whole process much more enjoyable.
Benjamin Vraja (1950-1996) - Anthology: https://benjaminvraja.bandcamp.com/album/anthology

target_destroyed
Wiggling with Experience

Post by target_destroyed » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:51 am

peripatitis wrote:
The Mega Drive's soundchip was quite advanced at the time it came out as far as consoles were concerned, far more versatile than the mostly square wave chips of the NES. Check out the Streets of Rage series for some examples of what it can do.

I think it will definitely appeal to people such as myself who grew up with those games (video game music is largely responsible for getting me into synths and electronic music in general) but I certainly wouldn't say making chiptunes is the only thing it would be good for. FM is a powerful synthesis method that was always largely crippled by terrible & frustrating interfaces. Having something like this with tons of controls will be awesome.

slicetwo
Common Wiggler

Post by slicetwo » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:14 am

Sir Ruff wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:42 am
slicetwo wrote:
If you ignore the grungier character of early chips, there’s technically no difference. But this is also like asking what’s the difference between using a hardware synthesizer and a VST :-) and when it comes to FM, in particular, I really think having hands on controls is beneficial because there’s a lot more guess work that goes into what kind of sound you end up with. For me at least, having immediate access to all those parameters makes the whole process much more enjoyable.
Oh I totally get the hardware vs. software thing in terms of tactile response, I was more curious as to the sonic characteristics themselves. Thanks!
Radioactive Sandwich | Spotify | Bandcamp | Instagram

Digitone/Digitakt/0Coast/Octatrack MKII/VirusC/Fatman/iPad/FLStudio

Things for sale on Reverb

the tone ranger
Common Wiggler

Post by the tone ranger » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:35 am

This is a dream come true for me. I think I’ll pre order once I get home from work and listen to all the demos.

Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave

Post by Voltcontrol » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:32 pm

slicetwo wrote:
This video explains it (rather well imho):

Annwn
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Annwn » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:20 am

I may have missed it but has anyone spotted a portamento control? Also, I know it does 12 voice unison but I wonder if it does simple 1 voice monophonic with fingered portamento like the other 4-op DXs? Could be quite important for me as that steppy glide is a favourite feature.

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:26 am

The did it for the TYPEface.
“no matter how fine you grind the dead meat, you’ll not bring it to life again“

silkynight
Wiggling with Experience

Post by silkynight » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:50 am

i ll just leave this here...

Technologear?
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Technologear? » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:08 am

silkynight wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:50 am
i ll just leave this here...
That's exactly what I thought of too! It has contributed to my serious GAS for the MEGAfm, I've been staring at my studio gear with a threatening "do I really need you, how much can I flip you for" glare.

I need to see a workflow video first, creating a sound from scratch.

naos
Common Wiggler

Post by naos » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:28 am

Voltcontrol wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:39 am
peripatitis wrote:
474 Euro excluding VAT their site says. That's more than a used Digitone was my first thought reading the number.

I'm interested in a clear shot of the panel, if anyone can find one, please share.
I wish they'd mass produce this and ship it at a much, much lower price.

Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave

Post by Voltcontrol » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:37 am

naos wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:28 am
Voltcontrol wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:39 am
peripatitis wrote:

I wish they'd mass produce this and ship it at a much, much lower price.
Who you gonna call?
Uli Behringer!

Return to “General Gear”