[AVAILABLE] TTSH V4 Build Thread

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

synthcube
you will be assimilated

Re: [AVAILABLE] TTSH V4 Build Thread

Post by synthcube » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:29 pm

hello folks--
- a quick update on various matters
- we are delighted to see completed TTSH v4 starting to make their way into this thread!! Thank you all for sharing!!
- the vast majority of paid pre-orders have been shipped; there are a few paid pre-orders that will go out within the next few days.
- if you made a pre-order and have not yet paid your invoice, please do so.
- Midimplant update-- one batch has been sent to kit builders from early in the run. We've been informed that mid-late February is the excepted date for the remainder of them.
- Slider pot caps-- we are still awaiting these (ordered last fall !!)-- we will keep everyone posted on progress
- those of you who ordered assembled/tested units-- they are all under construction; some very close to being finished, others still a few weeks out...

- as always--- never miss a chance to thank fuzzbass for his work on this version and the build guide--

smiler
Learning to Wiggle

Post by smiler » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:52 am

synthcube wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:29 pm
hello folks--
- a quick update on various matters
- we are delighted to see completed TTSH v4 starting to make their way into this thread!! Thank you all for sharing!!
- the vast majority of paid pre-orders have been shipped; there are a few paid pre-orders that will go out within the next few days.
- if you made a pre-order and have not yet paid your invoice, please do so.
- Midimplant update-- one batch has been sent to kit builders from early in the run. We've been informed that mid-late February is the excepted date for the remainder of them.
- Slider pot caps-- we are still awaiting these (ordered last fall !!)-- we will keep everyone posted on progress
- those of you who ordered assembled/tested units-- they are all under construction; some very close to being finished, others still a few weeks out...
What about gate boosters? My kit had a sticker inside that box saying that it is going to be shipped later.
synthcube wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:29 pm
- as always--- never miss a chance to thank fuzzbass for his work on this version and the build guide--
Praise!

thecivildefense
Learning to Wiggle

Post by thecivildefense » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:01 am

fuzzbass wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:01 pm
thecivildefense wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:33 am
fuzzbass wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:18 pm
Here is your enlightenment: On the Kenton, (02) Multiple Trigger on means a new trigger and a short drop in Gate, when notes overlap. So the ADSR will restart when you trill or overlap notes. This provides nothing at all if you are using a sequencer, but greatly improved keyboard articulation and less, er... mush.
I know lots of you are using the Arturia Keystep. Anyone know if the keystep can be set to multiple trigger? It's not by default, and I'm missing it in the manual if it's there...
I just updated Midi Control Center and the Keystep firmware, and the multiple trigger function for the CV gate output is still not there.
FYI It might help for those using keystep to request a multiple trigger option through support. With enough requests maybe they'll work on it. Here's the response I got about a multiple trigger option:

I'm sorry for the inconvenience,

I have logged this as a feature request as its not possible at the moment,

That being said I'm unsure wether it would fit the specs of the keystep, I will however make sure to bring this up with the developers,

I remain at your service if you have the slightest further question,

Yours Musically
***** - Arturia Support

smiler
Learning to Wiggle

Post by smiler » Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:02 am

I'm having some trouble populating the front side LED section using fuzzbass's guide (table 8). I might be blind but I can't find a spot on the board for the 10k resistor or the 8th BC337.

search64
Ultra Wiggler

Post by search64 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:02 am

smiler wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:02 am
I'm having some trouble populating the front side LED section using fuzzbass's guide (table 8). I might be blind but I can't find a spot on the board for the 10k resistor or the 8th BC337.
Post a picture.

Though the spot you probably missed is underneath the volume slider for the left speaker... alternatively perhaps you missed the one near the slide switch for the preamp.

smiler
Learning to Wiggle

Post by smiler » Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:26 am

search64 wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:02 am
smiler wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:02 am
Post a picture.

Though the spot you probably missed is underneath the volume slider for the left speaker... alternatively perhaps you missed the one near the slide switch for the preamp.

In the picture the board is on the bench stuffed with the ceramic caps.

search64
Ultra Wiggler

Post by search64 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:02 am

It’s not the best quality picture and mine is already finished, but I think this makes 8...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

smiler
Learning to Wiggle

Post by smiler » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:35 am

search64 wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:02 am
It’s not the best quality picture and mine is already finished, but I think this makes 8...
Hell yea! The right most one is missing :party:

Any idea about the 10k resistor in the LED section? I searched through this thread and found some confusion about that there should be 19 10k resistors in total (per fuzzbass's instructions) but only 18 are included in the BOM (viewtopic.php?f=17&t=218153&p=3147273#p3147273).

fuzzbass
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by fuzzbass » Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:59 pm

Based on discussion here, and further exploration of the MIDImplant, I have updated the build guide to version 1.9

Better calibration and configuration steps for MIDImplant;
Expanded discussion of base frequency selection for calibration;
Improved final assembly steps.
Wired for weird

Jim the Oldbie
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Jim the Oldbie » Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:07 pm

Thanks Fuzzbass! I hope to finally have time to really start in on mine next weekend - time to review the new guide.

funzel
Learning to Wiggle

Post by funzel » Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:25 pm

Hi guys,

First off all, thank you everybody fir sharing their information etc. I hearby can confirm building my very first TTSH succesfully. My hard to find parts where all supplied by utsource. The rest by mouser and some by tayda. Utsource have not let me down jet with their components.

Secondly I want to share some findings and experiences I came across on the way. First problem I ran into was losing two components in cleaning out empty bags. Keep stuff organised and check twice where you put components and empty bags.

Another little issue was my sine output. Not seeying a sine on startup can be caused by no calibration. Mine came alive after doing so. But I was allready thinking the shaper was broken.

My spring reverb had a huge dirty distorted buzz when rising its slider. Problem seemed to be the ac/dc adapter being very close because of my test setup at the time. Removing the reverb from its initial position to another seemed to solve this. Not sure if this was really the cause, but I am sharing some thoughts and observations hey. Reverb works like a charm now.

When the modulation slider at the oscillators did not have any effect. This was because one jack had a faulty normalisation switch that did not when back to its original position. Solved by testing a few times with a jack insertion.

Make sure you filter opens up nicely before checking it inputs. Mine was setup in a way all waveforms seemed a bit weird at the output because of a max cuttof at around 1000hz I guess.

Last but not least, a dead s&h and clock can come alive after you start calibration. So did mine anyway. All of a sudden the whole synth works, and boy it sounds good and is a joy to program. Reading the schematics and calibration routines is a joy. Very well documentation on its functions.

On to building a case! Wish I started a bit earlier.....

thomaskobrick
Learning to Wiggle

Post by thomaskobrick » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:02 am

I've started my build this weekend. I think I was procrastinating starting because it seemed like such a big job, but it's going fairly quickly. Soldered most of Sunday and last night and got through all of my resisters flat on the boards. Tonight I'm going to match some transistors and get to work on the capacitors.

To echo others here, the build guide has been amazing and a real life-saver. The kit was been wonderful to work with - you can tell all the love that went into the making of this project. Every time I empty a resister bag I get excited (and little nervous haha). But so far (fingers crossed) so good.

I sorted my resisters and put them in containers ranging from 0-1k, 1k-10k, 10k-100k, etc, and that has made finding them really quick. Then I test them just as way to slow me down and sanity check. I almost made a few 68k/6k8 "substitutions" and realized I have to be very mindful of these! I hope I caught them in time!

With any luck I'll be jamming by the end of next weekend.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

minimamoralia
Learning to Wiggle

Post by minimamoralia » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:34 pm

Hey everyone, long time reader, very rare poster. This is my first build of this size and complexity, I'm pretty good at following instructions but not super well versed in electricity. Of course, thanks so much to all the users posting here about their experience and especially Fuzzbass for all the time put in to the build guides and answering questions here.

I finished all soldering and began checking my power supply, (synthcube kit) checking power gets distributed to the board, trimmed both V+ and V- to 15V without a problem, my led's all lit up, and one speaker began to hiss (nothing crazy, seemed like a reasonable amount, but it was only the right speaker). After a little while, the 10 ohm resistor in the Amp section right below the R speaker output connector let the smoke out.

Going back to the isolated PSU, I now no longer have any output. 12V comes in, goes through the Muratas, gets to the resistors and capacitors, and then i lose it. I found a reversed 47u electrolytic on the -15V side, replaced that, and began testing again, but I get the same result. Does it seem likely that I fried the LDO regulators? There's no voltage anywhere on those, or the 2x Bourns trimmers.

Thanks for any insight! Sorry for the newb question (and mistakes!)

spacecadet
Common Wiggler

Post by spacecadet » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:34 pm

See my advice further up on the previous page or so about debugging the PSU. That also explains somwhat how the PSU is configured and the roles the resistors play in its operation.

Which resistors were you probing across? There is only one resistor for each murata and its used to adjust the output voltage up to 15.8v. It may not have any significant voltage of its own across it.

Also bear in mind the 'ground' is isolated between the input and output side of the muratas, so you need to be mindful of where you are connecting your meter's negative probe when looking at the PSU

Please do yourself a favour and check the polarity of ALL the electrolytic capacitors on TTSH before you do anything else. Also double check all the diodes.

There needs to be 15.8v on the Murata's output to have any chance of getting 15.v on the LDOs, as the former feeds the latter.

Do yourself a second favour and download and study the pinouts on the murata and LDO datasheets. Just google their part numbers from the BOM

Also google for TTSH v3 schematics and look for the PSU schematic page in the pdf.

Having said all of that, if you really are not well versed with electricity (thanks for being honest about that), and you don't know how to interpret and understand the docs I just referred to, then really you should be letting someone else who can do this for you. Perhaps there is someone close by in Philly on here who could help?

Regarding frying the O/P speaker amps, the most likely scenario is you have miswired the headphone socket and/or your socket is different to the one in the BOM. One check here before switching things on is you should measure the resistance across the plug for the speakers , before you connect them to the mainboard. It should match the impedance (at dc so likely as little lower than rated impedance) of the speaker. Another possibility is you have mixed up the driver transistors or fitted them the wrong way.

Bofore you proceed any further there you will need to replace the O/P transistors and the 10ohm resistors as they will now be damaged. And triple check your speaker and jack socket wiring.

minimamoralia
Learning to Wiggle

Post by minimamoralia » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:28 pm

Thanks spacecadet, i had been reading over your PSU post from upthread and beginning to look through the documents you linked, and while I understand some of it I'm definitely going to need to spend more time researching what I'm doing. I'm usually keenly aware of polarity as I place things but yes I will triple check myself now that I know I messed up. There are some people I can reach out to locally for sure and will do that before proceeding.

I probed 12V getting to the 27k resistors, referenced to the DC plug ground, but maybe that is useless information. I checked the headphone connector wiring several times, and my part is from Synthcube, so I'll look at the transistors.

Many thanks! I bought this thing to challenge myself to learn more (and because I fell in love with a 2600 20 years ago) and I guess it's time to dive much deeper.

thomaskobrick
Learning to Wiggle

Post by thomaskobrick » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:02 am

Was anyone smart enough (unlike me) to take a picture of their circuit board before stuffing it? I’m feeling a little paranoid, and would love to sanity check my resisters before I power it on. I would settle for a picture of a stuffed board as well, just to have another point of reference. I was getting a little loopy by the end of the “main board night”, and stopped when I noticed I had stuffed the wrong multiple of resister with the same digits. Thanks!!!

My status - VCOs, filters and power boards built apart from matched transistors, and resisters done on main board - working through capacitors and diodes tonight.

This is so much like meditation - I have the windows open and no TV or music on, just in this zen like state like being a kid.

spacecadet
Common Wiggler

Post by spacecadet » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:19 pm

Its resistors sir! :lol:

See some photos below:

spacecadet
Common Wiggler

Post by spacecadet » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:20 pm

and...

Jim the Oldbie
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Jim the Oldbie » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:30 pm

Wow, nicely done SC! This will be a useful reference.

thecivildefense
Learning to Wiggle

Post by thecivildefense » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:24 pm

Does anyone have the part numbers for the 2 and 3 pin headers (male and female) used for example on the gate booster PCB? I can get the molex like in the filter/osc but would rather have locking ones that fit. I don't see that in the full BOM. Want to get some for midimplant and for spare power access points because I'm going to open mine up and want to do everything at once while I can

fuzzbass
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by fuzzbass » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:22 pm

thecivildefense wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:24 pm
Does anyone have the part numbers for the 2 and 3 pin headers (male and female) used for example on the gate booster PCB? I can get the molex like in the filter/osc but would rather have locking ones that fit. I don't see that in the full BOM. Want to get some for midimplant and for spare power access points because I'm going to open mine up and want to do everything at once while I can
Mouser 5716404452 MTA-100 header, friction lock, 2P, tin contacts
Mouser 571-6404453 MTA-100 header, friction lock, 3P, tin contacts
Mouser 571-3-640440-2 MTA-100 wire housing, closed end, friction lock, 2P, IDC, 22AWG, tin contacts
Mouser 571-3-640440-3 MTA-100 wire housing, closed end, friction lock, 3P, IDC, 22AWG, tin contacts

All currently in stock at Mouser. If you don't want to buy from them, their listings show the manufacturers part numbers.

.100 IDC termination tool:
571-598031
Wired for weird

fuzzbass
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by fuzzbass » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:35 pm

minimamoralia wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:34 pm
Hey everyone, long time reader, very rare poster. This is my first build of this size and complexity, I'm pretty good at following instructions but not super well versed in electricity. Of course, thanks so much to all the users posting here about their experience and especially Fuzzbass for all the time put in to the build guides and answering questions here.

I finished all soldering and began checking my power supply, (synthcube kit) checking power gets distributed to the board, trimmed both V+ and V- to 15V without a problem, my led's all lit up, and one speaker began to hiss (nothing crazy, seemed like a reasonable amount, but it was only the right speaker). After a little while, the 10 ohm resistor in the Amp section right below the R speaker output connector let the smoke out.

Going back to the isolated PSU, I now no longer have any output. 12V comes in, goes through the Muratas, gets to the resistors and capacitors, and then i lose it. I found a reversed 47u electrolytic on the -15V side, replaced that, and began testing again, but I get the same result. Does it seem likely that I fried the LDO regulators? There's no voltage anywhere on those, or the 2x Bourns trimmers.

Thanks for any insight! Sorry for the newb question (and mistakes!)
Not sure about your PSU I have not broken one yet. Both the LDOs and the Muratas are designed to tolerate some abuse. I have smoked one of the amps just like you did, and it did not take out the PSU.

But if you smoked a resistor in the the amps section, you have either: 1 miswired the headphone/jack/speakers; 2. Plugged a TR cable in there, which is a no-no, or 3. you have a reversed diode in the amps section.
Wired for weird

fuzzbass
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by fuzzbass » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:40 pm

spacecadet wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:34 pm
Bofore you proceed any further there you will need to replace the O/P transistors and the 10ohm resistors as they will now be damaged. And triple check your speaker and jack socket wiring.
This may be correct, but I toasted a 10R resistor in one of the amps when I had a nearby diode backwards. Nothing else was damaged, not the epitaxial transistors, not the LDOs or the Muratas. It was just a stinky resistor and a diode swapped out, and back in action.
Wired for weird

spacecadet
Common Wiggler

Post by spacecadet » Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:01 pm

True. This is a classic class A/B amp design

The diodes are used to bias the bases of the push/pull transistors just into their active region even when there is no signal input. This is to avoid crossover distortion. Having one the wrong way around will I think force one transistor hard on, subjecting the 10ohm resistor to a bit of a beating

thecivildefense
Learning to Wiggle

Post by thecivildefense » Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:39 pm

Thanks for the part #s fuzzbass!

Return to “Music Tech DIY”