manual hard and soft sync

Post your patches here! Put the format(s) in the subject.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

analogsplitter
Common Wiggler

manual hard and soft sync

Post by analogsplitter » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:38 am

Most of my VCO's have sync, but I'm not sure, they must be hard sync?

Is there any way to patch the VCO up so that it responds with more of a soft sync sound?

In other words, I'm looking for patches that create different sync sounds... Any ideas?

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: manual hard and soft sync

Post by cptnal » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:46 am

Interesting... :hmm:

If soft sync involves reversing (inverting?) the wave it's easy enough to invert a signal and switch between it and the original. The tricky bit would be controlling the circumstances of the switch. Maybe a comparator, but the threshold would be crossed twice per cycle (window comparator?). I don't think a slope detector would work either - consider the saw wave, falling for its whole cycle.

Whatever anyone suggests I'm sure investigating the possibilities will lead to interesting results. :tu:

analogsplitter
Common Wiggler

Post by analogsplitter » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:36 am

Through zero vco’s have a slightly different sound as well,but I’m not sure how that would effect the sync timbre...

cycad73

Post by cycad73 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:13 pm

Soft sync resets only when the second oscillator is above a threshold. so in theory you should be able to use a comparator and an AND gate to convert hard to soft sync.

VCO2 -> comparator
comparator, VCO1 -> AND gate
AND gate -> VCO2 sync

I haven't tried this though. It may fail because of transients caused by the gating. In which case the VCO1 needs to trigger a very thin-pulse envelope generator, this should get rid of the other transients.

What I have tried is a sort of feedback thing where I take both square wave oscillators into a mixer and use the mixer output as a sync signal. This sort of works to get subharmonics, but isn't really that stable, and is very sensitive to the levels of both oscillators.

helix
Wiggling with Experience

Post by helix » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:42 pm

FM Aid by happy nerding often sounds really "syncy"

Return to “Synthesis Techniques”