Instruo arbhar granular processor

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Innerself2007
Common Wiggler

Re: REVERB CONTROL?

Post by Innerself2007 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:09 am

closedLoop wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:30 pm
I'm eagerly waiting for my Arbhar to arrive.

I've read in this thread, and in the Quick Start guide on the Instruo website, references to both a delay and reverb within the module. There aren't a lot of details about how to control it, other than the mention in the Quick Start guide on the CV control of those parameters via the expander. I'm assuming there's more immediate, knob-based control.

Can anyone speak to a more immediate control of these through the general controls? Maybe involving the shift button?
As far as I know there aren't any controls on the module itself to control the reverb or delay, you need to feed the Hold jack on the expander with positive or negative voltage. I was using channel 3 of maths to adjust the amount of reverb on the module.

closedLoop
Common Wiggler

Re: Instruo arbhar granular processor

Post by closedLoop » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:36 pm

pelang wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:44 am
Jason made a long video where he explains the reverb and delay in detail.
Correct! Thanks for the pointer.

The reverb bit is from 1:13:16 to about 1:22:00.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hw73DlxVWrI

To answer my own question, it does appear that the only control of Arbhar's reverb is to feed a bipolar CV into the MOD input of the expander with the proper jumper setting on the back of Arbhar so that it's in reverb mode. No control, and no reverb, without the expander.

pelang
Common Wiggler

Post by pelang » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:52 am

yes + Arbhar comes with the expander

joskery
Wiggling with Experience

Post by joskery » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:14 pm

By the way, has anyone noticed the random grain trigger knob seems a bit fiddly? The extremes on both sides don’t seem to do much, until there’s a slightly abrupt flow of grains. I wonder if this could be helped with firmware.

Hovercraft
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hovercraft » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:39 pm

joskery wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:14 pm
By the way, has anyone noticed the random grain trigger knob seems a bit fiddly? The extremes on both sides don’t seem to do much, until there’s a slightly abrupt flow of grains. I wonder if this could be helped with firmware.
It's working great for me. At the extremes, it stops triggering grains--which is exactly the behavior I want when I'm manually triggering grains. There's a nice balance between manually triggering grains and auto triggering them. If you're not using the manual trigger as a playable control, I suggest you try it and see how you feel about the calibration.

Bartelby
Common Wiggler

Post by Bartelby » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:39 am

I got the module a couple of weeks ago, due to work and kids I've only spent a couple of hours with it. 2 things kind of irritate me, slightly, about the module.
1) If you're using the onboard mic the the clacky noise of record enable button is picked up.
2) This isn't just limited to the Arbhar, but modules that hide selectable options on the pcbs are annoying. Most of the ones I have use jumper connections, so it's easy to make up an expander with switches for those. But the Arbhar has teeny switches for the delay/pan/reverb/hold modes. Such a thing should be accessible from the front, IMHO.

Apart from that, I'm loving the module...

joskery
Wiggling with Experience

Post by joskery » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:32 am

Good point about the clacky button. Maybe firmware could be tweaked to trigger recording on the "falling edge" of the button press?

Hovercraft
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hovercraft » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:15 am

If you use onset detection, you don’t need to touch Arbhar to begin recording. Alternatively, you can use patch into the cv input and use other modules to control any parameter on Arbhar, including record.

Bartelby
Common Wiggler

Post by Bartelby » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:25 am

Hovercraft wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:15 am
If you use onset detection, you don’t need to touch Arbhar to begin recording. Alternatively, you can use patch into the cv input and use other modules to control any parameter on Arbhar, including record.
I know that, but occasionally you just need to hit the button

xxeyes
Learning to Wiggle

Post by xxeyes » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:52 pm

I have a number of questions about Arbhar I hope someone can help me with. I’m new to modular, so please excuse any fundamental misunderstandings.

Am I correct in understanding that Arbhar doesn’t continually process audio live, like Clouds - only audio that has been or is in the process of being captured to the buffers?

Is it possible to capture/process audio from the built-in microphone simultaneously with capture from the IN input?

Can Arbhar handle line level signals, or must they be amplified first? I would like to feed it field recordings from my phone.

With the Layer knob in the Omega position, is it possible to cycle through only the buffers with recorded content? I love this feature but it doesn’t seem to be useful unless there is content in all six buffers. The same question applies to CV control through the Layer jack.

It seems that Arbhar can process larger grains than Clouds, which appears to allow Arbhar to retain more of the character of the source audio in its granular process. However, I see that it can only process 24 grains concurrently as compared to 40-60 in Clouds. Can Arbhar process “granular clouds” as dense as clouds can? I understand Arbhar can process an additional 20 externally triggered grains. Why separate the processing of 20 grains from the master controls for external trigger only? How/why would these separate grain producing methods be used in practice, at the same time?

Based on everyone’s experience so far, is there anything Clouds (in granular mode) remains better at than Arbhar? Is there much you can do with Clouds that you can’t do with Arbhar?

I can’t seem to find a manual for Arbhar. Has this not been released yet?

Hovercraft
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hovercraft » Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:20 pm

xxeyes wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:52 pm
Am I correct in understanding that Arbhar doesn’t continually process audio live, like Clouds - only audio that has been or is in the process of being captured to the buffers?
As soon as audio is recorded into the buffer, it's processed and begins playback. The difference is that by default, Clouds is always recording into the buffer (unless the buffer is frozen), while Arbhar has more control over recording into the buffer. Arbhar can also be set to continuously record into the buffer.
xxeyes wrote:
Is it possible to capture/process audio from the built-in microphone simultaneously with capture from the IN input?
No, the input stage is normalled from the microphone>onset>in. Pluging in an audio source breaks the normalling.
xxeyes wrote:
Can Arbhar handle line level signals, or must they be amplified first? I would like to feed it field recordings from my phone.
The input gain stage can be adjusted for line level sources.
xxeyes wrote:
With the Layer knob in the Omega position, is it possible to cycle through only the buffers with recorded content? I love this feature but it doesn’t seem to be useful unless there is content in all six buffers. The same question applies to CV control through the Layer jack.
Omega position is useful regardless of whether all buffers are full. A lot depends on how you're trying to use the feature. With a fluctuating cv source, the layers will overlap unless the grains are very short.
xxeyes wrote:
It seems that Arbhar can process larger grains than Clouds, which appears to allow Arbhar to retain more of the character of the source audio in its granular process. However, I see that it can only process 24 grains concurrently as compared to 40-60 in Clouds. Can Arbhar process “granular clouds” as dense as clouds can? I understand Arbhar can process an additional 20 externally triggered grains. Why separate the processing of 20 grains from the master controls for external trigger only? How/why would these separate grain producing methods be used in practice, at the same time?
The combination of gate triggered grains, plus auto-triggered grains is a powerful feature. For example, I've hooked a keyboard up to Arbhar with the keys triggering the grains and controlling grain pitch. I can balance the auto-triggered grains against the keyboard triggered grains.
xxeyes wrote:
Based on everyone’s experience so far, is there anything Clouds (in granular mode) remains better at than Arbhar? Is there much you can do with Clouds that you can’t do with Arbhar?
Clouds is a great module, and has it's own sound.
xxeyes wrote:
I can’t seem to find a manual for Arbhar. Has this not been released yet?
The full manual is in process--until then there are two quick start guides--one on the Instruo site, and another that comes with the module.

stujay18
Learning to Wiggle

Post by stujay18 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:46 pm

Hello! Any sense of when places like Perfect Circuit and Detroit Modular might be restocked w/ Arbhars? Thank you!

Bartelby
Common Wiggler

Post by Bartelby » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:01 am

Hovercraft wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:20 pm

The full manual is in process--until then there are two quick start guides--one on the Instruo site, and another that comes with the module.
There also the, pretty, in depth 1 hour 47 minutes long youtube video:

cyclyk
Learning to Wiggle

Post by cyclyk » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:38 am

Hovercraft wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:15 am
Being also a drummer, I'm using it, that way, works great with the onset detection.

Zijnzijn Zijnzijn!
Common Wiggler

Post by Zijnzijn Zijnzijn! » Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:04 pm

Hovercraft wrote:
As soon as audio is recorded into the buffer, it's processed and begins playback. The difference is that by default, Clouds is always recording into the buffer (unless the buffer is frozen), while Arbhar has more control over recording into the buffer. Arbhar can also be set to continuously record into the buffer.
How are you making Arbhar record continuously? I've been plugging into the offset detection input and cranking the hold parameter, but it doesn't always work with more droney stuff

djd_oz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by djd_oz » Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:10 pm

Is the Arbhar capable of time lag accumulation similar to the Morphagene?

corbetta
Learning to Wiggle

Post by corbetta » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:05 pm

djd_oz wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:10 pm
Is the Arbhar capable of time lag accumulation similar to the Morphagene?
It looks like the dub function can achieve similar results but it doesn’t look like there’s a feedback path (with decay) per se

Hovercraft
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hovercraft » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:14 pm

Zijnzijn Zijnzijn! wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:04 pm
How are you making Arbhar record continuously? I've been plugging into the offset detection input and cranking the hold parameter, but it doesn't always work with more droney stuff
After some experimentation tonight, I've found that the onset detection is more sensitive to certain sounds. With a drone, it doesn't always trigger repeatedly--even with sense turned all the way up. The microphone seems more sensitive to triggering. The only thing I can think of at the moment is sending a clock into the capture cv input, set to trigger every 10 seconds (or whatever record length you want). It's reasonable to ask Jason to put in a mode that turns record on, and stays on until the capture button is pressed to turn it off.

@djd_oz Something similar to TLA is possible if you're continuously recording, and have overdub set so the buffer isn't fully erased. I don't think Arbhar feeds the buffer back into itself the way Morphagene does, so it's not quite the same. You could always feed some of the playback signal, mixed with the sound source--back into the record buffer.

landmax
Common Wiggler

Post by landmax » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:05 am

stujay18 wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:46 pm
Hello! Any sense of when places like Perfect Circuit and Detroit Modular might be restocked w/ Arbhars? Thank you!
I would like to know for the UK as well.

interpolate
Common Wiggler

Post by interpolate » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:06 am

Are Kammerl type beat repeat effects possible with Arbhar?

gran_syth
Learning to Wiggle

Post by gran_syth » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:40 pm

Hovercraft wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:14 pm

@djd_oz Something similar to TLA is possible if you're continuously recording, and have overdub set so the buffer isn't fully erased. I don't think Arbhar feeds the buffer back into itself the way Morphagene does, so it's not quite the same. You could always feed some of the playback signal, mixed with the sound source--back into the record buffer.
I am interested in this, does the morphagene has sound on sound recording?

My understanding is that on the Arbhar previous content is kept by the amount set by dub. That means that the Arbhar is not feeding back the current audible output into the recording process, but new content is mixed/layered with the content of the buffer.

Edit: I've just tried to understand the Morphagene manual on this, I thought sound on sound recording works the same way? No?

xxeyes
Learning to Wiggle

Post by xxeyes » Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:34 pm

Thanks for your response, Hovercraft.

Would you please clarify the following:
Hovercraft wrote:
Are you referring to the "Follow" mode? I watched the video explanation of this, but I still don't fully understand. What happens if/when you reach the end of the 10 (12) second buffer in Follow mode? Will the whole buffer, itself, then follow the play/record heads, dropping data off the beginning of the buffer? I understand that onset detection can be used to resets the play/record heads to the start of the buffer, but what if the sound doesn't change for 10 seconds so they don't reset? Must onset detection be used in this mode?

Hovercraft
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hovercraft » Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:47 pm

xxeyes wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:34 pm
Thanks for your response, Hovercraft.

Would you please clarify the following:
Hovercraft wrote:
Are you referring to the "Follow" mode? I watched the video explanation of this, but I still don't fully understand. What happens if/when you reach the end of the 10 (12) second buffer in Follow mode? Will the whole buffer, itself, then follow the play/record heads, dropping data off the beginning of the buffer? I understand that onset detection can be used to resets the play/record heads to the start of the buffer, but what if the sound doesn't change for 10 seconds so they don't reset? Must onset detection be used in this mode?
Yeah, it's a little confusing until you test the module. Follow mode moves the playback head through the buffer, but when the playback head is parked--it still plays back grains from an area around the playback head. The size of the area is adjusted by Spray. Scan moves the playback head through the buffer.

The record head moves through the buffer when you hit the capture button, or when an onset signal is detected. Hold sets the length of the record (up to 10 sec) in conjunction with onset. Any time the record head is triggered, it starts recording at the beginning of the buffer.

It's way more clear if you think of the record and play heads doing their own separate things.

@gran_synth - I think you're right about the difference between Arbhar and Morpagene.

StateAzure
Wiggling with Experience

Post by StateAzure » Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:33 pm

Here's a recent live stream I did using both Lubadh and Arbhar together, with some improvisation with Peak. Peak is directly connected to the Lubadh. Arbhar has a bunch of different sounds on each layer that I pre-recorded earlier from some soft synths.

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:51 pm

^ StateAzure - Beautiful tune and very nice and interesting set-up. Quality all around. :boat:
FS: SP-555 Sampler, Pedals, ASol SQ8 - CHEAP!!!
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... 4&t=227738
WTT: my Mangler for your Rumour

Return to “Eurorack Modules”