Multimeter suggestions?

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

gbiz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Multimeter suggestions?

Post by gbiz » Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:08 pm

neil.johnson wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:37 pm
gbiz wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:30 pm
Neil, if you don't mind sharing, can you remember where you got your 3478a calibrated ?. I really should get around to replacing the battery in mine before it runs down & it's cal cert expired a while back. Post battery swap would be a good time to get it done.
Sure: https://www.absolutecal.co.uk/index.html

They have an (incomplete) list of equipment that they can calibrate here: https://www.absolutecal.co.uk/general_p ... ments.html

Depending on where you are and how quickly you need it calibrated they might pick up and return in their own van. I think they get a lot of business from the Cambridge area so twice a week (IIRC) they send a van up here. They are based in Portchester, Hants.

Neil
Cheers Neil ! :tu:

Excellent, I'm just along the coast from them, in Worthing. There's still a few instrumentation/temperature measurement/control companies around here, so it's possible they visit along here too. I'll contact them. If not it's only an hour on the train, it'd be cheaper than a courier.

Many many years ago I worked at a local temperature control company, now long gone unfortunately. I was trying to remember where we got the meters & the voltage & resistance references calibrated. I had a vague recollection it was further over towards Southampton. I just checked their history page & they were at Titchfield back then, so it may well have been them :)

Flounderguts
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Flounderguts » Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:46 pm

I got a Siglent at their blem sale for $125. Well worth keeping an eye on those type of websites for their blem/refurb/clearance sales.
----------------------

Flounderguts

rosch
roadkill

Post by rosch » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:22 am

Does the Brymen BM867s go into the 1mV range so i can read values relevant to matching transistors?

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:02 am

I started with an Amprobe PM51A. it was trash. horrible design. $36 disposable. hard to service the battery. impossible to service the probes. at work I use fluke 175 (I didn't pay for it). other people had the 87A.

for $25 this AN8008 is pretty damn good with 10,000 count.

those HP/agilent/keysight 6 + 1/2 digit meters on ebay are hit or miss. you usually pay more for the calibration. you would have a hard time checking how good it is if that is your only meter. sure you can get them for $99 but that usually comes with added risk. if you got a calibrated HP on ebay for $99 then you got lucky. next time buy two and sell me one. I always look but I never find one with any recent dates from any certified calibration organization. I see them with fail stickers right next to the pass sticker.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

Return to “Music Tech DIY”