Drum machine recommendations for OT

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

MatttheKat
Common Wiggler

Drum machine recommendations for OT

Post by MatttheKat » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:40 pm

Hi everyone.

I am looking to get a drum machine as a companion to use in a small setup for jamming with my Octatrack MK1 and some other synth(using a TD3 atm). Ideally, I would get a machinedrum, but I would like to keep my cost down a bit. I have been looking at something like a Roland R8 or Kawai XD-5 or possibly even a drumbrute. Can anyone recommend one of these or something similar that might work good for just casual jamming and is budget friendly?

Thanks,
Matt

3hands
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Drum machine recommendations for OT

Post by 3hands » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:09 pm

It really depends what you want. The XD-5 is a full on synth and capable of some incredible sounds if you put the time into it. On the other hand the Roland TR09 is great for bread and butter house sounds. The R8 is just all sorts of lovely. What’s your end goal musically? :) that’s a good place to start!

Hope that helps a bit!
Gum is fun, but not on a cat.

My minds an art gallery.

MatttheKat
Common Wiggler

Post by MatttheKat » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:17 pm

I suppose I am after something that can cover my bases if I wanted to get a little abstract. I think that is what was drawing my towards the xd-5 in the first place. I suppose if I want just 909 stuff I can run that as samples from the OT. To answer your question, I like to jam with some typical 4x4 housey stuff, but also really like to get some strange drums/percussion going as well and use the OT's effects processing/sampling to take it to some interesting places(I know a 303ish syth is pretty vanilla, but I have others I can use to go a different direction if desired).

slicetwo
Common Wiggler

Post by slicetwo » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:37 am

If you're willing to wait, just get a Machinedrum. I had one, and while I ended up selling it as it didn't fit my music, it can go f'ing crazy in experimentation. I personally didn't like the 12bit sampling engine so you could get away with a non-UW version which could be cheaper. Pair it with the OT sequencer and you get the best of both words, plus resampling into the OT for more mangling. I don't know much about it, but maybe the AudioThingies Doubledrummer would be a contender?
Radioactive Sandwich | Spotify | Bandcamp | Instagram

Digitone/Digitakt/0Coast/Octatrack MKII/VirusC/Fatman/iPad/FLStudio

Things for sale on Reverb

0BSRVR
Common Wiggler

Post by 0BSRVR » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:41 am

Nord Drum 2. You can sequence it with the OT. Sometimes it's nice to have everything tied into 1 sequencer. I had an OT, Rytm, and eurorack synth all with their own sequencer. I found it way too many sequencers to wrangle in a live situation. Now I sequence everything on the OT and the workflow is much more streamline and productive. Just my 2 cents.

My System:

Travel Case: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1020365

Studio Case: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1010495

heckadecimal69
Common Wiggler

Post by heckadecimal69 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:34 pm

R8 is a good idea too though. Unique and very good sequencer, and the sounds are good. The cards are awesome if you can find them. Then again you can get all of these samples and use them on OT, which is what I do now.

I'd +1 on saving for a MD.

estin
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by estin » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:17 pm

If you are comfy with elektron work flow I think any basic drum machine option is going to seem too limited. If you are leaning towards a MD i'd hold out for that, but really adding another elektron machine of any kind would be fantastic for drums.

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:52 am

you name the MD but then the R8 and XD-5 that are both sample-based and sounds very different to the MD. Also one have a sequencer, the other doesn´t, so I can´t understand your selection criteria.

If you like the sound of the MD (digital, that fits IDM and minimal techno very well) then I support the Nord Drums suggestion and use the OT to sequence it. In this kind of sound the Korg ER-1 is also a good choice, both MK1 and MK2. And the Volca Drum is kinda similar in sound/synthesis with even more parameters and options but a not so direct user interface

If you want something sample-based then the ones you named are good options. I´d personally go with a module that could be sequenced from the OT instead of using 2 different sequencer, just because I like the elektron workflow and sequencing features (that are far superior than most old drum machines and also a lot of new ones). So maybe the R8m is a good option too.

I also like the RY-30 that is also sample-based, with some nice synthesis options

MatttheKat
Common Wiggler

Post by MatttheKat » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:31 am

Since I am using the OT as my main sequencer, the drum machine having its own was irrelevant to me. I ultimately would like the MD for its sound/flexibility but was looking at lower cost options such as the r8 or XD-5(those two seemed to appeal to me more at the time of the post). I appreciate all the suggestions everyone. I may keep an eye out for a good deal on one of those rack units until I can get a MD.

Martebar
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Martebar » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:46 am

Don't discount dedicated sample based drum machines, stuff like the Volca Sample or the Model:Samples are really not costly and they can really be all you need for your drum duties. The Model Samples has filters, distorsion, delay, reverb, and the Elektron sequencer while the Volca Sample can be sequenced by the Octatrack and is very very straighforward to use.

gentle_attack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gentle_attack » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:58 pm

Martebar wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:46 am
Don't discount dedicated sample based drum machines, stuff like the Volca Sample or the Model:Samples are really not costly and they can really be all you need for your drum duties. The Model Samples has filters, distorsion, delay, reverb, and the Elektron sequencer while the Volca Sample can be sequenced by the Octatrack and is very very straighforward to use.
What would be the upside of doing that vs just using the OT itself to play samples?

Curious what you're on about, not just giving shit to give shit
Control Skiff ||Big Case || cv.ocd || Manther || OP-1 OP-Lab|| Octatrack Digitone RYTM || BX-8 BX-16 || Monologue KP3+

msegarra
Wiggling with Experience

Post by msegarra » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:14 pm

If a drumbrute impact is within your price range I would suggest it! It amazing has decent amount of clock in and out and individual outputs for kick snare and hats

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:17 pm

gentle_attack wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:58 pm
Martebar wrote:
What would be the upside of doing that vs just using the OT itself to play samples?

Not using the limited audio tracks of the OT for basic drum duties... though I'm sure you can use the 7 or 8 audio tracks of the OT alone for fairly complete performances if you had to. But honestly it seems that the OT was designed to work side by side with other instruments (hence the four audio inputs).

Gribs
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Gribs » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:48 am

Hmm, it looks like Audiothingies DoubleDrummer got discontinued already. I was going to suggest sequencing one of those using your OT. They are small and inexpensive.

Edit: Another option would be an older synth that hat has drum maps, like the Waldorf Micro-Q. It looks like they have gone up a bit in price. Sadly, the Blofeld doesn’t have drum maps. The Blofeld is supposed to be multi-timbral but I don’t know how well it works.
----------------------------------------

seta666
Common Wiggler

Post by seta666 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:40 am

+1 on the volca drum, is a drum synth with very nice sound, endless fun.
You can use 6 midi tracks for it, with the 3 midi LFOs per sound you can make wonders.

Like people say in the Elektronauts forum, the Volca drum is OT/DT food

For X0X sounds just use samples on the OT. It does no make sense to ge another sampler when you already own the most powerful one.

Martebar
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Martebar » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:53 am

gentle_attack wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:58 pm
Martebar wrote:

Well I was in the same situation as you and I realized that having a dedicated sample player allowed me to groupe 6 flex tracks into one thru track, thus freeing some for stuff the OT is better suited for (such as loops,stems and mixing external instruments), I could also apply effects to the whole drum groupe such as saturation and compression. And by using such a sampler, you get a lot of control from dedicated drum machines (minus a few you can only have on them) and you add a diversity of sound you couldn't get otherwise.
Dedicating 4-6 tracks to individual drum sounds, or going through the pain of sample chains/sample locks only leaves you with 2 to 4 tracks for ALL the other sounds, which as too little for me.

soundinett
Veteran Wiggler

Post by soundinett » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:04 am

If you are considering a XD-5 od a R8 as a low cost companion for your OT have a look at the EMU Procussion.
It´s a sample based drum synth you can program into the weird. Sounds of that video are Procussion only:

Last edited by soundinett on Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

subduct
Learning to Wiggle

Post by subduct » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:15 am

if I was getting something for drums to go with my OT I think it would be rytm or maybe a tempest.
rytm would be adding another sequencer sure, but it's the same sequencer, and if you gel with the OT it seems the logical choice?

gringostar
Wiggling with Experience

Post by gringostar » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:43 pm

TR-8 or TR-8s.

Either one can be had fairly cheep on the used market and they not only sound fantastic but are easily the most fun I've had programming drums.

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:18 pm

I mentioned this earlier today somewhere but the Nord Lead 1 & 2 both have a drum / percussion section thats super capable. The drum kits are pre-made using the synths engine and range from 808/909 style drums to stranger percussion patches and FM drums. The coolest part is that you can use the interface to completely alter the sounds. You can get a ton of mileage out of it. You do have to hold down the particular key/sound while you make your tweaks buts its more capable than most drum machines and very undervalued.
TOO FAR GONE

blakeq
Common Wiggler

Post by blakeq » Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:39 pm

R8m would be good, particularly if you get some extra cards to fill the card slots it has.

There is also a module version of the Yamaha ry30, it is the rm50. 1u rack and can be expanded with some minimal (512k...)sample ram that saves the sounds after power cycling to complement the existing sounds. Also has 1 card slot. There is a 8mb card you can get for it to load your own samples.
anselmi wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:52 am
you name the MD but then the R8 and XD-5 that are both sample-based and sounds very different to the MD. Also one have a sequencer, the other doesn´t, so I can´t understand your selection criteria.

If you like the sound of the MD (digital, that fits IDM and minimal techno very well) then I support the Nord Drums suggestion and use the OT to sequence it. In this kind of sound the Korg ER-1 is also a good choice, both MK1 and MK2. And the Volca Drum is kinda similar in sound/synthesis with even more parameters and options but a not so direct user interface

If you want something sample-based then the ones you named are good options. I´d personally go with a module that could be sequenced from the OT instead of using 2 different sequencer, just because I like the elektron workflow and sequencing features (that are far superior than most old drum machines and also a lot of new ones). So maybe the R8m is a good option too.

I also like the RY-30 that is also sample-based, with some nice synthesis options

Return to “General Gear”