What do you feed your BIA, especially after midnight?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

BlinkyLights
Veteran Wiggler

What do you feed your BIA, especially after midnight?

Post by BlinkyLights » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:47 am

Will finally be picking one up, meant for percussion duties though I'm well aware of its flexibility.

Anyway, for those who use it percussively in any way at all, what particular Modulation are you feeding it and how is that working out for you? Enough? Too much?

I intend to give it its own dedicated Mod Source(s), whatever it needs to thrive, so I'm just looking for ideas and headstarts and to clear up any expectations / needs.

Primarily looking for "dont bother w X, its not Y enough", or "Z works perfectly in these ways...", or "I think subtle is best for This and That, I use Whatever and it rocks...".

Things like that.

I will of course experiment on my own, regardless.

Thanks.

ggillon
Veteran Wiggler

Re: What do you feed your BIA, especially after midnight?

Post by ggillon » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:51 am

BlinkyLights wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:47 am
Will finally be picking one up, meant for percussion duties though I'm well aware of its flexibility.

Anyway, for those who use it percussively in any way at all, what particular Modulation are you feeding it and how is that working out for you? Enough? Too much?

I intend to give it its own dedicated Mod Source(s), whatever it needs to thrive, so I'm just looking for ideas and headstarts and to clear up any expectations / needs.

Primarily looking for "dont bother w X, its not Y enough", or "Z works perfectly in these ways...", or "I think subtle is best for This and That, I use Whatever and it rocks...".

Things like that.

I will of course experiment on my own, regardless.

Thanks.
Mimetic digitalis.

It was basically made for this. 4 tracks of unipolar CV values (BIA doesn't accept negative CV so don't bother with LFOs), X/Y axis control of the sequence, random access, shortcuts to automatically assign values to steps, shortcut to automatically assign pitch CV to steps over 1 octave.

Like I said, mimetic digitalis was basically designed to modulate Noise engineering VCOs.

Oh and it's just a great sequencer overall. If I had any HP left I would buy another one to drive other modules

e: more about the negative voltage; I and other users noticed that if fed negative CV to the various inputs of BIA, it can alter the pitch when reaching negative values. That's a bummer because it means no bipolar LFOs. But all the knobs on the BIA are offset so that can be still managed. You could set the offset to noon (2.5V I guess?) and send an attenuated bibolar LFO to reach a 0-5V modulation.

I wished the manual included the ranges for the CV inputs because it took me a lot of trials and errors to find this out as I thought my BIA was faulty at first when sending unattenuated bipolar LFOs to it.
Last edited by ggillon on Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:14 am, edited 3 times in total.

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:39 am

Pam's. Same reasons as above but eight channels.

(Edit: Not same, similar.)
Is it finished?
Latest Tune:
Sounds: SoundCloud , Freesound
Racks: Big Case, Top Row, Funboat, Tinicase

inoshi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by inoshi » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:32 am

Hyperchaos deluxe + lets splosh.
Honorable mention for voltage block driven by cv.

:tu:

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:47 am

The BIA guzzles CV.

My main recommendation is to avoid developing too much of a patching habit around it—remember to try new things. Also, I’ve found that sending (short) envelopes into the parameters of the BIA can be rewarding.

cg_funk
Wiggling with Experience

Post by cg_funk » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:57 pm

I will feed my BIA LFOs. But I run them through a Quadratt first, to offset and scale them down... I like modulating the attack the most.

The BIA also likes to eat gates. Usually I’ll also attenuate then to taste.. The instantaneous CV changes seem to play well with the aggressiveness of the module.

otnemem
Common Wiggler

Post by otnemem » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:56 pm

Pam's and varigate for me. Seem to be a splended pair for the BIA

Foghorn
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Foghorn » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:10 pm

BIA gets nasty with complex waveform LFOs.
I have this EMW wavetable LFO that has 30 or so really strange waveforms.
Other odd LFOs like MI tides and I have an old Synthrotek voltage controlled LFO where I like to modulate the LFO with another LFO or an envelope.
Also, sample & hold random modules (Doepfer A-148, Wogglebug, Erica Pico RND or a Ladik R-120 random).
I think that having a fairly fast slew on the modulation produces more nasty results which is what BIA does best.
I also have used a Dixie II to modulate most CV inputs at one time or another.
The most important thing is having a polarizer or offset/scaling module like shades, blinds or Triatt to scale and offset the modulation.
My favorite polarizer is a Doepfer A-183-2 because I bought a bunch of them and they are easy to use.

Foghorn
Stay Calm - We are in this forever :hmm:
.......Not really a musician.......

xcc
Wiggling with Experience

Post by xcc » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:45 pm

Tetrapad/Tete for me. Magic combo for me. Also Pams.

shockletit
Common Wiggler

Post by shockletit » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:16 pm

Mangled LFOs from O&C Quadraturia app, each set to different frequency ratios with lots of random XOR and AM values entered until some parts of the wave just become become spray.

However, the BIA is a module I tend not to use often and really find it hard to get anything out of it that I'm happy with and considering dumping it. Guess it's not for everyone. Although I have a had a half-dozen or so magical things happen with it, all more or less by accident or being really uncaring about what I'm attempting to do. Still think it's going up for sale later this month.

ggillon
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ggillon » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:52 am

shockletit wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:16 pm
Mangled LFOs from O&C Quadraturia app, each set to different frequency ratios with lots of random XOR and AM values entered until some parts of the wave just become become spray.

However, the BIA is a module I tend not to use often and really find it hard to get anything out of it that I'm happy with and considering dumping it. Guess it's not for everyone. Although I have a had a half-dozen or so magical things happen with it, all more or less by accident or being really uncaring about what I'm attempting to do. Still think it's going up for sale later this month.
It has a really distinct sound and it's easy to get tired of it.

But at the very least it is an awesome kick and just for that it will keep its place in my rack. Filtering it also helps a lot in taming it.

LowOver
Common Wiggler

Post by LowOver » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:21 am

i use a frames in sequencer mode and a turingmachine.... :sb:

MarcelP
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by MarcelP » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:33 am

ggillon wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:52 am

It has a really distinct sound and it's easy to get tired of it.

I tend to find this with the NE oscillators generally: they can each produce a wide range of immediately impressive sounds by setting the front panel controls but the static nature can get tiring. Modulating everything with a bit of random, slow LFOs, envelopes, etc, all carefully amplitude adjusted can make the sound a bit more variable and hence organic/alive. They love modulation - ANY modulation!

Bishop Dust
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Bishop Dust » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:59 pm

The Bishop's Miscellany is a cool sequencer to quickly create particular rhytmic sequences, personaly i experimented a lot with the Dinky's Taiko but it seems some wigglers has a lot of fun patching it with a BIA / BI

Graffie
Common Wiggler

Post by Graffie » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:39 pm

In my experience. Mutable Instruments Grids (gate output mode) is a pretty fun hands on rhythmic cv source for the BIA. Sometimes combined with a logic module for an extra free rhythm.

chuckleone
Common Wiggler

Post by chuckleone » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:45 pm

Like others have said - Mimetic Digitalis - match made in heaven(or hell), so much fun.

The BIA is my primary drum module but you can coax some amazing bass lines out of it as well and when heavily modulated, it can be an entire rhythm section. Lately I have been using the dual shift register algorithm in the Disting Mk4 to trigger the BIA for more interesting drum patterns while modulating the BIA's various inputs with a combination of Erica Synths RND attenuated by the Zlob Attenumix feeding it a LFO, S&H, random pulses, etc and dialing back the modulation source via the Attenumix's knobs.

I've had this module for quite a while and just when I think I've maxed out what it can do, I stumble upon something new. Yes it has a unique, signature sound to it, but it's one module I have never gotten tired of using.

fileandplot
Learning to Wiggle

Post by fileandplot » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:59 am

xcc wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:45 pm
How are you using them with the BIA?

xcc
Wiggling with Experience

Post by xcc » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:51 pm

fileandplot wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:59 am
xcc wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:45 pm
How are you using them with the BIA?
With the Tete/Tetrapad in Combo mode, I’m using one fader in Euclidean mode to send triggers, then a Unipolar fader (or two) to change the parameters. Another quantized Unipolar fader to pitch if I want a bass or melodic line at the same time. The switches and LFO modes are also fun. It can get pretty crazy.

Pams can perform similar functions in a more basic way without the pitch control (but you could use a quantizer if you have one).

markincork
Learning to Wiggle

Post by markincork » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:15 pm

Slightly before midnight, but hooked up an Korg SQ1 and it produced some nice results.

ronni
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ronni » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:12 pm

i hope my question is not very irrelevant to the subject;
is there a way to get sustained sounds -or even drones- from BIA?

ggillon
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ggillon » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:26 pm

ronni wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:12 pm
Audio range square wave into trigger input

scragz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by scragz » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:40 pm

ronni wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:12 pm
On the Manis you can turn the combined Envelope knob all the way to the right to disengage it entirely. Doesn't look like Basimilus functions the same.

LameAim
Wiggling with Experience

Post by LameAim » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:49 pm

I really liked the sound of the BIA when I first got it, but have struggled to integrate its sound with the music I make. As far as kicks go, I think I might be more of a dirty, deep 808 hiphop-ish kind of guy. Haven't given up on the BIA yet, though - I know it's capable of a lot, and I haven't been feeding it nearly enough modulation. Gotta do something about that :D

reppiks
Obscure Intergalactic Destroyers!

Post by reppiks » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:58 pm

Send the output of the Loquelic Iteritas into the BIA trigger input for superb constant gritty noise harshness!

Misk
Common Wiggler

Post by Misk » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:49 am

right now? all of my nerdseq :)

Return to “Eurorack Modules”