Your favorite iOS synths.

Reaktor, MAX/MSP, VST/AU, etc. A place for all things soft....

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

kinkujin
Common Wiggler

Re: Your favorite iOS synths.

Post by kinkujin » Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:20 pm

There are several sequencer programs on ios you can choose from. Cubasis is one.
1) NanoStudio 2 (daw-like)
2) ModStep (sort of like Ableton) Clip based.
3) AUM (more of a host that you can also record in)
4) ApeMatrix (like above)
5) Others

If interested in this stuff, might I recommend https://forum.audiob.us/

kinkujin
Common Wiggler

Post by kinkujin » Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:23 pm

Wavy Davy wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:16 pm
TC-11 is by far my favorite synth app on iOS, and I have a lot of em.
Nothing comes close, and in fact it is in a class by itself.

I have had it for a few months, and the more I play with it the better I like it.
Here is a link to the developers web site.
http://www.bitshapesoftware.com/instruments/

The presets cover a very wide range of sound types, from Buchla, and Serge type sounds, to lush pads, percussive sounds, evolving sounds, sequences, arpeggiations, traditional VA synth sounds, west coast to east coast, and everything in between.
Also great movement in the stereo field.

The important thing to know, is how you can change (modulate) those sounds while you are playing them, and how the patches take great advantage of the many ways to do that, using all the potential of the iPad/iPod/iPhone.

Multitouch, one or more fingers on the iPad, how fast you move your finger(s) across the surface, the distance from the previous touch, where you touch, which direction you slide your finger(s), how much area of finger you put down, motion of the iPad, and so much more, is used to modulate different aspects of the sound.
It is literally in a class by itself.

I like the large number of well made presets so much, it took me a while before I read the owners manual, to see how it works, and learn more about the interface., and the synth engine behind it.
Once again, my mind was blown by how it works, and what is possible with it.
The synth engine is designed from the ground up, to take full advantage of the iPad's Multitouch and motion sensing.
The best I have seen on iOS devices, and nothing like synths that try to imitate traditional hardware synths.

Click on the link to download the owners manual.
http://www.bitshapesoftware.com/inst...-guide-2.0.pdf

Because you don't have to look at it, to play it, I found myself walking through the woods with my iPod touch and headphones, creating lush soundscapes, with one or two hands.
Like no synth experience I've ever had before.

Playing it on my iPad Pro 12.9" is crazy cool too.
Best of all is having it loaded on all three of my i devices, iPad Air 1st gen, iPad Pro 2nd gen, and iPod Touch 5th gen, and having a jam session.

Because it's so portable, I can play at home through my PA speakers, walking around, or on a park bench with the built in speakers, Bluetooth speakers, or headphones.

If you want to try a free version, before buying the full version, check out TC-Performer.
http://www.bitshapesoftware.com/inst.../tc-performer/
This is a great write up. I did read about it once and went to the app store page but to me it looked daunting. You were able to jump right and get started or is/was there a huge learning curve? It is pricey as far as these apps tend to go. Thanks.

Modulus
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Modulus » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:41 am

Borderlands Granular just got a huge update with tempo synced grains and ring mod. It has definitely moved up the list of most useful ios apps for me.

Phil999
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Phil999 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:55 pm

indeed the Borderlands update makes it an even more valuable external 'module' when the iPad with audio/MIDI interface is situated next to the modular system. Another good thing is that the Borderlands update works with an antique iPad2.

Recent new synths worth mentioning:

- Synclavier Go. A Synclavier on your iPad, or even iPhone. What do you want more?
- Quanta: granular synth
- Continua: 3 VCO synth
- Mononoke: drone or ambient synth, including a separate controller AU plugin for MPE

All four of them feature MPE support. Which means, with the right controller, you have pitch bend per note, and polyphonic aftertouch, and CC74 (usually the vertical axis) for very expressive control.

And of course MiRack: not a port of VCV, because VCV changed their 'open source' copyright since MiRack exists, but there are plenty of well known 3rd party VCV modules available, including Audible Instruments (Mutable Instruments). Commercial VCV modules like Vult modules are not available, and probably won't be available in future. MiRack is basically VCV 0.6, monophonic, and without the Fundamental VCV modules. It is great, very stable, and also has audio in. To date it is a standalone app that can take Inter-App-Audio (IAA) and core MIDI, but there is already a beta version as a plugin (AU).

Tun
Common Wiggler

Post by Tun » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:04 pm

Layr - awesome pads

Wavy Davy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Wavy Davy » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:48 pm

kinkujin wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:23 pm
Wavy Davy wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:16 pm
TC-11 is by far my favorite synth app on iOS, and I have a lot of em.
Nothing comes close, and in fact it is in a class by itself.

I have had it for a few months, and the more I play with it the better I like it.
Here is a link to the developers web site.
http://www.bitshapesoftware.com/instruments/

The presets cover a very wide range of sound types, from Buchla, and Serge type sounds, to lush pads, percussive sounds, evolving sounds, sequences, arpeggiations, traditional VA synth sounds, west coast to east coast, and everything in between.
Also great movement in the stereo field.

The important thing to know, is how you can change (modulate) those sounds while you are playing them, and how the patches take great advantage of the many ways to do that, using all the potential of the iPad/iPod/iPhone.

Multitouch, one or more fingers on the iPad, how fast you move your finger(s) across the surface, the distance from the previous touch, where you touch, which direction you slide your finger(s), how much area of finger you put down, motion of the iPad, and so much more, is used to modulate different aspects of the sound.
It is literally in a class by itself.

I like the large number of well made presets so much, it took me a while before I read the owners manual, to see how it works, and learn more about the interface., and the synth engine behind it.
Once again, my mind was blown by how it works, and what is possible with it.
The synth engine is designed from the ground up, to take full advantage of the iPad's Multitouch and motion sensing.
The best I have seen on iOS devices, and nothing like synths that try to imitate traditional hardware synths.

Click on the link to download the owners manual.
http://www.bitshapesoftware.com/inst...-guide-2.0.pdf

Because you don't have to look at it, to play it, I found myself walking through the woods with my iPod touch and headphones, creating lush soundscapes, with one or two hands.
Like no synth experience I've ever had before.

Playing it on my iPad Pro 12.9" is crazy cool too.
Best of all is having it loaded on all three of my i devices, iPad Air 1st gen, iPad Pro 2nd gen, and iPod Touch 5th gen, and having a jam session.

Because it's so portable, I can play at home through my PA speakers, walking around, or on a park bench with the built in speakers, Bluetooth speakers, or headphones.

If you want to try a free version, before buying the full version, check out TC-Performer.
http://www.bitshapesoftware.com/inst.../tc-performer/
This is a great write up. I did read about it once and went to the app store page but to me it looked daunting. You were able to jump right and get started or is/was there a huge learning curve? It is pricey as far as these apps tend to go. Thanks.
It is very easy to use (one of the easiest) if you only play with the presets.
The manual is well written, and describes all the parts of the synth in detail, with good graphics.

I found it useful to have the manual open on one device, while having TC-11 running on another, so I could read, and poke at it, at the same time.
As with any powerful synth engine, it takes a little while for it all to sink in, but with a little patience, and practice (modifying presets, and working with the provided templates), it starts to make sense.

Another trick I use for absorbing new information, is to read through a manual (it won't take long), without trying to understand it.
Come back to it a day later, and then try to get a better handle on the details.
Repeat this a few times, while experimenting with it, and you will be a pro in no time.

The graphical layout of the synth engine, and how it presents the options to you, are very logical, and easy to get the hang of.
If you are already familiar with synth basics, you will have no problem with it.
He uses common synth terminology, and easy graphics, so no cryptic stuff to remember.
And you can easily Google any terms you are not familiar with, to get more in depth descriptions.

As a long time synth guy, with lots of hardware and iOS synths, I think this is the best non keyboard oriented, synth in my collection.
The more I play with it, the better I like it.
Modifying presets, making my own, and saving them to my own folder is fun, not frustrating for me :hyper:

I will try to make a forum thread "for new TC-11 users", to share any tips/tricks I have learned, and answer questions about anything that was not obvious from reading the manual.

Don't forget to try the free version, TC-Performer (presets only), to get an idea of what it is capable of.
Once I did that, I quickly purchased the full version.
FREE: TC-Performer (plays presets only)

This was a long post, but I wanted to give a clear, detailed answer to your question, and encourage others to try TC-11 :love:

Yes Powder
Powder that makes you say "Yes"

Post by Yes Powder » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:58 pm

I really liked CurtisHeavy UNTIL THE DEVELOPER MADE AN UPDATE WHICH REPLACED IT WITH A DEMO VERSION OF THEIR NEW PROGRAM "MEGACURTIS".

That was probably eight years ago at this point. CurtisHeavy was only $7.99 but I still have a bad taste in my mouth from it.

(((EMP)))
Common Wiggler

Post by (((EMP))) » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:12 am

Some of my favs are (in no particular order)

miRack
Sugar Bytes - Factory
Sugar Bytes - Aparillo
IVCS3
Moog - Model 15
IWavestation
Sunrizer (of course)

There’s just so many good ones now its hard to pick.

SkyWriter
Learning to Wiggle

Post by SkyWriter » Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:04 pm

Synclavier Go
Vogel CMI Pro
Streetlytron Pro
Virtual ANS 3
Jasuto -- 1st iOS synth!
Spectrum

Control
Common Wiggler

Post by Control » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:51 pm

Waldorf Nave.

(((EMP)))
Common Wiggler

Post by (((EMP))) » Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:19 pm

Control wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:51 pm
Waldorf Nave.
Nave is exceptional. I truly wish they would make it a AUv3. Still one the top synths on iOS.

muckmires
Common Wiggler

Post by muckmires » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:48 am

I think the ANS Virtual Synth is amazing, coming at it from a visual sense.

th0mas
Veteran Wiggler

Post by th0mas » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:38 am

TAL-U-NO-LX just released for ios. Insta-buy. That and Drambo <3

crawling wind
Wiggling with Experience

Post by crawling wind » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:06 am

After Drambo, I really need to rethink my app buying habits. That *should* be all I need for a while.

motorhead412
Common Wiggler

Post by motorhead412 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:37 pm

Anyone have any experience with GlitchCore? Looks fun.

Illiac
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Illiac » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:41 pm

motorhead412 wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:37 pm
Anyone have any experience with GlitchCore? Looks fun.
Loving it. Reminds me of Beatlookup in Reaktor. The touch pad is great fun, too. Can’t seem to get tempo to sync in AUM, but am probably overlooking something.

Return to “Music Software”