Patch bay questions

Discuss everything related to production, recording, composition, etc.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

th0mas
Veteran Wiggler

Patch bay questions

Post by th0mas » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:18 pm

HI

I'm looking to dive into a patch bay. I have a bunch of pedals, some rack FX, a space echo, etc.. and I want to be able to patch a signal path on the fly and then send it to my octatrack or machinedrum to sample, or send to my interface to record.

I just have a few questions.

- Do you just end up spending hundreds of dollars on more 1/4" cables and patch cables? Are there like "patch bay starter kits" I am not seeing?
- Should this also be the point where I start moving my studio to balanced TRS cables instead of all 1/4" mono cables? Can I run half TRS and half mono?
- Any suggestions on brands to avoid or good quality starter 48 point patchbays please send 'em my way

(tried search for a few minutes, didn't find this thread already)

Thanks!

Michael O.
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Patch bay questions

Post by Michael O. » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:24 pm

1. Unfortunately, there’s no real workaround or alternative and the outlay will be in the hundreds if not thousands of dollars, depending on scale and quality.

2. If you’re going to go the distance and get a patchbay, it’s best to do it right- in other words, I’d go trs/balanced, and I wouldn’t use 1/4” at all, but rather Tiny Telephone/bantam. TT is a good bit smaller (i.e. greater functional density per square inch) and more robust than 1/4” jacks and plugs.

3. I’d say the standard is probably ADC, they have a bajillion different variations and are of a very high quality.

So, that all may sound a little disheartening, but there are things you can do to minimize the cost. Specifically, wiring the patchbay (whether solder, punchblock, or whatever) yourself is a huge money saver, as is building the cables yourself. Those two things may sound like a lot I’d you haven’t much experience with soldering, but in practice it could not be easier, and the enduring benefits of the money saved and abilities gained far outweigh the initial monetary cost of a solder station and the opportunity cost of learning the ropes.

It’s a major undertaking, but don’t be discouraged: it will cost a lot in terms of time and money, but time is money in a very real sense, and having a well thought out and installed patchbay enables one to ultimately save an immense amount of time and headache compared to crawling behind a rack and manually rerouting everything every single time you want to alter a signal chain.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:58 pm

For a different perspective, I have a Samson S-patch plus 48 point 1/4" balanced patchbay. http://www.samsontech.com/samson/produc ... atch-plus/

A good feature of the Samson is you can configure the normaling from the front with 3-way mode switches.

I bought 24 1/4" TRS patch cables and the Samson from Amazon (I need to buy everything online where I live). $120 for the patchbay and $50 for the cables. But you are unlikely to ever need all of the 24 cables at once anyway.

Maybe I have bad ears but I can't tell any difference in the signal going through the patchbay or not. It is, after all, just a couple of additional connections in the signal path. As for durability you'll never come close to wearing them out.

A good tip is to make a spreadsheet of the patch connections at the rear. All you really need to remember is everything comes in the top row and goes out the bottom row. Outputs of gear to the top row, inputs to gear from the bottom row. There are plenty of resources on the web about how to use the different normaling options.

I use balanced TRS and XLR cables in the studio. Some will say you don't need them but I have none of the noise problems that seem to plague many people.

SyndieBot2000XL
Common Wiggler

Post by SyndieBot2000XL » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:24 pm

I wouldn’t bother going unbalanced - you’ll introduce a *lot* of noise (really a LOT, impossible to exaggerate this) into your system, and you’ll likely be mismatching impedances all over the place to boot. I set up an unbalanced patchbay about fifteen years ago: it didn’t last very long. So much stray buzzing and noise, it finally just wasn’t worth the headache - I did get pretty damn good at soldering 1/4” tr cables though :hihi:

A couple years ago I decided I wanted to try again and do it right this time - all balanced connections end to end, impedance matchers for the unbalanced stuff - it sounds gloriously clean and I can patch whatever kind of crazy signal chain I need without noticeably degrading the signal. Of course within a couple months of getting this finished I started my way down the eurorack rabbit hole and never recorded anything again ahhahaha :deadbanana: :deadbanana:
It began as a mistake.

GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GuyaGuy » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:37 pm

th0mas wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:18 pm
- Do you just end up spending hundreds of dollars on more 1/4" cables and patch cables? Are there like "patch bay starter kits" I am not seeing?
You can buy TRS cable snakes which can make things easier and cleaner depending on how your rack is set up. I have a combination.
th0mas wrote:
- Should this also be the point where I start moving my studio to balanced TRS cables instead of all 1/4" mono cables? Can I run half TRS and half mono?
You should go balanced whenever possible. Of course not all devices are balanced so you might end up with a combination of devices.
th0mas wrote:
- Any suggestions on brands to avoid or good quality starter 48 point patchbays please send 'em my way
The Samson S-patch plus 48 that dubonaire suggested. Definitely. With others you have to take out the module and flip it to switch it to normalled for example. The switch makes it so much easier to set up and change if you need.

Also: Invest in a label maker to label your patchbay. Also useful for labeling the cables in the back.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:45 pm

GuyaGuy wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:37 pm
th0mas wrote:
You can buy TRS cable snakes which can make things easier and cleaner depending on how your rack is set up. I have a combination.
Yes agree I use snakes as much as possible.

th0mas
Veteran Wiggler

Post by th0mas » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:54 am

Thanks everyone!

My buddy is giving me 4 patchbays for a beer and the condition I take all of them, so I'll start there. I need to assess how much of the gear going into the patchbay is even balanced at all, but will start to move to TRS where it will be a complete circuit to my interface.

I'm already dealing with guitar pedal impedance issues, so I am only planning on patching up the pedals that are decent at it, like the eventide space.

Thanks!

Tun
Common Wiggler

Post by Tun » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:42 am

3hands
Veteran Wiggler

Post by 3hands » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:39 pm

th0mas wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:54 am
Thanks everyone!

My buddy is giving me 4 patchbays for a beer and the condition I take all of them, so I'll start there. I need to assess how much of the gear going into the patchbay is even balanced at all, but will start to move to TRS where it will be a complete circuit to my interface.

I'm already dealing with guitar pedal impedance issues, so I am only planning on patching up the pedals that are decent at it, like the eventide space.

Thanks!
I have a couple of neutrik patch bays that I use with my system. When are you getting yours? I can bring one of mine by if you want to just see what it’s all about. Let me know!
Gum is fun, but not on a cat.

My minds an art gallery.

naos
Common Wiggler

Post by naos » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:56 am

All you need is to buy some jack sockets, make your own design and heat the soldering iron.

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:02 pm

+1 for Samson S-Patch Plus. Super clean and the 3-way toggle provides you so much flexibility.

Alternatively if your on a budget, Behringer makes the PX3000(?). It has a 3-way toggle but sadly its placed on the top of the rack. Not the end of the world but just something to consider.
TOO FAR GONE

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:30 pm

I recently ran everything in my studio into 2 very big patchbays (96 each). I have a lot of shit haha. My first patchbay was a Switchcraft, the second was a Redco. I was hesitant to try the Redco at first, but I would say it sounds fine and is half the price. I really like having the TT patchbay with DB25 connectors. It's a lot more expensive than other options, for sure. But the DB25 connections make life so much easier (especially since my audio interface is mostly DB25). The TT cables aren't cheap, I will warn you that. And the DB25 cable snakes are not cheap either, though you can get a decent cable for $30 to $40 and that's 8 connections. For me this form factor is the least amount of spaghetti, and the most compact (to me this was important given the sheer number of connections I wanted). Were I to do it again, I might do two Redco units, though having the normalization control on the front of Switchcraft is very convenient. Having a patchbay has made life so much easier for me. I'm much creative with my use of effects and I no longer have to deal with latency. This is the beginning of my exploration of using outboard gear for sound processing. I just started a 500 series rack as well. Im very excited to be more organized, and I feel that it has made me more creative and improved the over all quality of my recordings.

IMG_8434.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

StillNotWorking
Veteran Wiggler

Post by StillNotWorking » Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:45 am

I had some 50 pcs bantam patch cables from a studio clean up laying around. Sold them to financed 3 pcs S-patch+ with 6.3mm TRS which makes interconnection with synths and effect pedals easier and much cheaper.

The Samson S-Patch is popular due to the useful normaling switches in front. I've not had any problem with any of those I've purchased, but it's not actually a particular high quality product. A professional bantam setup will last much longer if you can afford it and bother to hassle with adapter cables.

I like the Planet Waves Modular Snake system course I can have the snake in place and only change the break-out connection or use the D-Sub directly when needed. https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/pl ... ular-snake
If you want better quality I believe you have to have them made to order from someone spesialisering in cables. All the ready made cables I've found sub €150 seems to stem from the same sourche.

Inside the S-Patch+
looking for service manual for the Clavia ddrum AT or ddrum III

vav
Beer Master

Post by vav » Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:17 am

Nice timing, I just did this exact thing. I was using a Soundcraft Signature 22MTK as my mixer & interface but it didn’t have enough Aux’s, so I had to rethink it.

I ended up buying a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 and a pal sent me his old patchbay. 8 synths are half normalled to 8 inputs on the Scarlett, other synths are patched Open elsewhere to bring into the Scarlett whenever I need. 8 outputs of the Scarlett are patched Open on the other side, as are several open connection points used for fx ( SE50, Gristleizer, various other guitar pedals & the inputs of the Nord Modular.) At some point I’ll also add all the other synth’s external signal inputs as more destinations from the bay, but cables are indeed expensive if you’re not making them :)

The end result is that 80% of what I’m doing hasn’t changed from the previous setup other than it’s faster access & better sound quality, and the other 20% is no longer a fussy headache and is also better sound quality.
Vactrols are the electronic equivalent of being drunk. -decaying.sine

miles_macquarrie
Wiggling with Experience

Post by miles_macquarrie » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:57 pm

I thought this was a simple explanation. I'm also going to take the patch bay plunge soon. Good luck!
F/S Joranalogue Filter 8

Illwiggle
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Illwiggle » Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:00 am

I Can vouch for the Samson. The switches are just awesome & no gripes about build quality/signal quality. Used ones can be found pretty cheap, I got one for $50... depending on your gear.... I mean the outlay for cabling isnt that bad unless you got a serious studio with mad rack gear & a 32 track console etc...otherwise maybe just a few snakes’ll be needed...

StillNotWorking
Veteran Wiggler

Post by StillNotWorking » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:00 am

Illwiggle wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:00 am
the outlay for cabling isnt that bad unless ...
Tell you I got dismayed when I learned SSL X-desk, you know that little 8 channel thing need 3 x 48 port patchbays to utilize and open up all its functionality.
Not all ports are in use on the last bay though. One could get away with two units if willing to break the upper>out/lower<in rule.

No wonder the SSL sales representative didn't want to go into patching tips. But rather have you think of the mixer itself as the patchpanel which it doesn't really have enough channels to function as.
looking for service manual for the Clavia ddrum AT or ddrum III

Return to “Production Techniques”