How to keep bass mono?

Discuss everything related to production, recording, composition, etc.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, lisa, Joe.

sillyquestions?
Wiggling with Experience

How to keep bass mono?

Post by sillyquestions? » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:05 pm

Something thats been on my mind as of late. Wondering if anyone can help.

Been sticking my drums main out into stereo delay as it gives something I seem too like at the moment. Just wondering, is there a way too keep the bass mono? Maybe some sort of pedal, filter or whatever it may be? I want the thud of the low end without the width, just the width on anything above 400Hz?

I have been using Ozone for this which is absolutely perfect but the truth is my laptop is shite and I couldn't rely on it for a live situation.

Cheers!

3hands
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: How to keep bass mono?

Post by 3hands » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:19 pm

Do you have multiple outs on your drum generator? If so just run the stereo out for all your hats, Snares other perc etc... and then run the kick on an individual out.

Sampling is an idea as well! Or just be a muff and build a dedicated drum skiff!!! :)
Gum is fun, but not on a cat.

My minds an art gallery.

Arneb
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Arneb » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:25 am

In the Eurorack world I'd just get a Worng LRMSMSLR, patch your source into L and R In, patch S Out into a high-pass filter, patch that filter's output into S In, and L&R Outs would be what you want.

I guess the general idea (go into mid/side representation, high-pass filter the side component, go back to left/right representation) also applies outside of Euro.

sillyquestions?
Wiggling with Experience

Post by sillyquestions? » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:03 am

3hands wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:19 pm
Do you have multiple outs on your drum generator? If so just run the stereo out for all your hats, Snares other perc etc... and then run the kick on an individual out.

Sampling is an idea as well! Or just be a muff and build a dedicated drum skiff!!! :)

Hi,

Thanks for the input but not sure it will work for what I want. Reason for this is it’s either main out or separate outs, I can’t have 3 on the main and one on the individual if that makes sense.

I was thinking sampling could be an idea. Just not sure what route to go down, I would obviously need it to be stereo samples. This way I could record loops to computer - ozone it, then bang it into a sampler. Hmmmmm.... seems like a good answer :)

sillyquestions?
Wiggling with Experience

Post by sillyquestions? » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:07 am

Arneb wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:25 am
In the Eurorack world I'd just get a Worng LRMSMSLR, patch your source into L and R In, patch S Out into a high-pass filter, patch that filter's output into S In, and L&R Outs would be what you want.

I guess the general idea (go into mid/side representation, high-pass filter the side component, go back to left/right representation) also applies outside of Euro.
Excellent suggestion. I see it’s a DIY kit too. When you say hi-pass filter the side do you mean a Euro filter for doing this? I’m extremely tight on space. I’d be looking for more of an external unit. Thanks for the insight.

Arneb
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Arneb » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:34 am

sillyquestions? wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:07 am
Arneb wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:25 am

Excellent suggestion. I see it’s a DIY kit too. When you say hi-pass filter the side do you mean a Euro filter for doing this? I’m extremely tight on space. I’d be looking for more of an external unit. Thanks for the insight.
With the LRMSMSLR specifically you'd normally use an Euro filter simply because switching gear formats within a signal path is a hassle - adapter cables, in- and output level matching, all those little annoyances. But at the end of the day, filter is filter, whatever suits your workflow best. I guess there's also mid/side encoding/decoding gear in pedal or 19'' format if that suits your working space needs better, I'm just not familiar with the market in non-Euro formats.

naturligfunktion
Veteran Wiggler

Post by naturligfunktion » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:16 am

If you record it there are several ways to keep the low freq in mono. Most EQ have a mid / side thing. Use that to filter away anything you dont want in stereo.

If it is a live situation Im not sure. I wouldnt send the kick into the stereo delay if that is possible, but that maybe not is desirable?

sillyquestions?
Wiggling with Experience

Post by sillyquestions? » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:46 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. Ideally it would be used in a live situation(if that ever comes). Just trying to get all the questions in my head answered.

Thanks anyway people. If anyone’s reading through and has another suggestion I’d be happy to hear.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:44 pm

If you want something for a live situation and you are not going through a DAW then something like https://avensonaudio.com/mid-sider/.

If you go into a DAW there are plenty of plug ins that do mid/side processing and if you use Ableton Live EQ8 has mid/side functionality or you could build a rack using instances of Utility.

sillyquestions?
Wiggling with Experience

Post by sillyquestions? » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:24 pm

dubonaire wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:44 pm
If you want something for a live situation and you are not going through a DAW then something like https://avensonaudio.com/mid-sider/.

If you go into a DAW there are plenty of plug ins that do mid/side processing and if you use Ableton Live EQ8 has mid/side functionality or you could build a rack using instances of Utility.

Cheers dude. I guess for in the studio i'm more than happy with ozone. That's maybe a little large for what I want when playing live.
Maybe I should re-think... and, find a sampler that I can record stereo drum loops in too after produced in my DAW. Guess that would be the best of both worlds.

3hands
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 3hands » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:27 pm

dubonaire wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:44 pm

That’s a great tip! I had no idea things like this existed! Thanks for posting this up!!
Gum is fun, but not on a cat.

My minds an art gallery.

tron23
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by tron23 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:53 pm

Mid-sider seems really nicely done with all the bells and whistles, been using the Worng euro thing for a while and tempted to get something more studio friendly, thanks for posting this. :guinness:

Technologear?
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Technologear? » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:22 pm

sillyquestions? wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:03 am
3hands wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:19 pm

Thanks for the input but not sure it will work for what I want. Reason for this is it’s either main out or separate outs, I can’t have 3 on the main and one on the individual if that makes sense.
What drum machine are you using that can't route out the kick on a separate out and keep it from the Main mix? I can't think of one that is restricted like that.

Utilising the seperate outs could be the answer. Are you avoiding that because of channel count restrictions on your mixer? If so could use a submixer.

Another option: parallel processing. Aux Send the full stereo drums out through your delay, set fully wet, back in on another channel, which you carve out the low end from. Balance the 2 channels as needed to get wet dry mix. It's a hack option not as good as other ideas but may get you by.

Another another option: volca kick. Use that for kick, your drum machine for the rest. Seperate processing then.

sillyquestions?
Wiggling with Experience

Post by sillyquestions? » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:00 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions. My wording was all wrong. Im sure it is possible to use a single seperate out and the rest on the main out. What I meant when I said what I said was it's not an option. Hence the reason for asking what I asked. I like it all going through the main output, I just don't want anything below say 300Hz in stereo. Wouldn't send the drum seperate because it hinders the rhythm i'm going for.

I'll look in to parallel processing! Cheers.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:25 pm

Technologear? wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:22 pm

What drum machine are you using that can't route out the kick on a separate out and keep it from the Main mix? I can't think of one that is restricted like that.
TR-08 and TR-09, unless using USB.

Technologear?
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Technologear? » Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:43 am

dubonaire wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:25 pm
Technologear? wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:22 pm

TR-08 and TR-09, unless using USB.
Ouch, that's a shame. I went the tr8 and it's good enough for me (although not my main machine) so ignored those two.

naturligfunktion
Veteran Wiggler

Post by naturligfunktion » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:11 am

tron23 wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:53 pm
Mid-sider seems really nicely done with all the bells and whistles, been using the Worng euro thing for a while and tempted to get something more studio friendly, thanks for posting this. :guinness:
A nice trick is to send your bass to a bus with a chorus on, making it wide and phat. Then u take an EQ and cut away the bottom end or everything on the sides. Makes a really nice bass sound 8-)

Return to “Production Techniques”