What do you feed your BIA, especially after midnight?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Muff McMuff
Wiggling with Experience

Re: What do you feed your BIA, especially after midnight?

Post by Muff McMuff » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:09 am

Benjolin rungler cv into the trigger. Other Benjolin outs as modulation. Swap them about, attenuate and some cool sounds can be found and a lot of stuff thats a bit meh.

fileandplot
Learning to Wiggle

Post by fileandplot » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:34 am

xcc wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:51 pm
fileandplot wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:59 am
xcc wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:45 pm
Tetrapad/Tete for me. Magic combo for me. Also Pams.
How are you using them with the BIA?
With the Tete/Tetrapad in Combo mode, I’m using one fader in Euclidean mode to send triggers, then a Unipolar fader (or two) to change the parameters. Another quantized Unipolar fader to pitch if I want a bass or melodic line at the same time. The switches and LFO modes are also fun. It can get pretty crazy.

Pams can perform similar functions in a more basic way without the pitch control (but you could use a quantizer if you have one).
Ok, that sounds like it could yield some really hands on results. I was thinking about some sort of Tete/Tetrapad/Planar/Ladik K-010 combo for live interplay. Thank you.

xcc
Common Wiggler

Post by xcc » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:47 am

fileandplot wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:34 am
xcc wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:51 pm
fileandplot wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:59 am
xcc wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:45 pm
Tetrapad/Tete for me. Magic combo for me. Also Pams.
How are you using them with the BIA?
With the Tete/Tetrapad in Combo mode, I’m using one fader in Euclidean mode to send triggers, then a Unipolar fader (or two) to change the parameters. Another quantized Unipolar fader to pitch if I want a bass or melodic line at the same time. The switches and LFO modes are also fun. It can get pretty crazy.

Pams can perform similar functions in a more basic way without the pitch control (but you could use a quantizer if you have one).

Ok, that sounds like it could yield some really hands on results. I was thinking about some sort of Tete/Tetrapad/Planar/Ladik K-010 combo for live interplay. Thank you.
Sure thing. Yeah it’s as hands on or hands off as you want. The way the Tete records is really cool to be able to constantly make big or small changes as you go. I wish I had room for a Planar.

LameAim
Wiggling with Experience

Post by LameAim » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:31 pm

Well kids, I needed a euro sequencer as well, so I ended up skipping the Mimetic Digitalis for now and went with a Metron along with a pair of Volteras.

All praise due to the Analogue Heaven sale this weekend for making this possible :hail:

suckerformimi
Common Wiggler

Post by suckerformimi » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:19 am

Does BIA not accept negative voltages at all? My understanding is that the knobs on the new version are CV offsets when you have CV to the corresponding input. Do the inputs still ignore negative voltage in this case?

fjoesz
Common Wiggler

Post by fjoesz » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:27 am

voltage block and planar2
but I really like the suggestion to feed it short envs

scragz
Common Wiggler

Post by scragz » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:58 pm

suckerformimi wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:19 am
Does BIA not accept negative voltages at all? My understanding is that the knobs on the new version are CV offsets when you have CV to the corresponding input. Do the inputs still ignore negative voltage in this case?
All NE oscillators accept 0-5v and have a tendency to glitch out when receiving negative voltage. It's a real shame! They suggest using Pons Asinorum which has a reverse envelope but it's a clunky workaround.

GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GuyaGuy » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:03 pm

I just got mine but the Varigate 8+ and Voltage Block combo has been serving it well!`

cg_funk wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:57 pm
I will feed my BIA LFOs. But I run them through a Quadratt first, to offset and scale them down... I like modulating the attack the most.

The BIA also likes to eat gates. Usually I’ll also attenuate then to taste.. The instantaneous CV changes seem to play well with the aggressiveness of the module.
Just curious what you mean by it liking to eat gates. Do you mean it responds a lot differently depending on the voltage?

cg_funk
Wiggling with Experience

Post by cg_funk » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:00 am

GuyaGuy wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:03 pm
I just got mine but the Varigate 8+ and Voltage Block combo has been serving it well!`

cg_funk wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:57 pm
I will feed my BIA LFOs. But I run them through a Quadratt first, to offset and scale them down... I like modulating the attack the most.

The BIA also likes to eat gates. Usually I’ll also attenuate then to taste.. The instantaneous CV changes seem to play well with the aggressiveness of the module.
Just curious what you mean by it liking to eat gates. Do you mean it responds a lot differently depending on the voltage?
I mean that the instantaneous voltage changes sound really great. You can also send it LFOs (offset to positive 0-5V), and it will make more subtle changes, but if you send gates to the unit it can sound like a totally different drum with each trigger. You can easily get it to be both a kick drum and hi-hat with a couple gate inputs.

It tends to do wacky things with negative voltages also.. so it's a bit designed to take +5V inputs to the different channels.

GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GuyaGuy » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:11 am

cg_funk wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:00 am

I mean that the instantaneous voltage changes sound really great. You can also send it LFOs (offset to positive 0-5V), and it will make more subtle changes, but if you send gates to the unit it can sound like a totally different drum with each trigger. You can easily get it to be both a kick drum and hi-hat with a couple gate inputs.

It tends to do wacky things with negative voltages also.. so it's a bit designed to take +5V inputs to the different channels.
Ah got it. So you're sending gates into the CV ins and not just the trigger in. It's my first foray into modular drums so when I got mine I thought I'd have to spend some time to get the hang of it. Just a few minutes after plugging a single gate and some voltage sources into it I had a great fucking beat out of the thing. It makes it too easy!

I'll try feeding the other inputs some gates. And I want to see how it responds to gates of different lengths.

Dennis
Common Wiggler

Post by Dennis » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:20 pm

i use my nerdseq (and soon CV expander) as well as the trigger expander, still experimenting with that but its the most controllable fashion i found to not worry about it while playing live. if i wouldn't have the nerdseq i would use my voltage block for that nice playability (shown by baseck)

xcc
Common Wiggler

Post by xcc » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:42 pm

Just got a Clep Diaz, and it’s brilliant with the BIA.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”