How much iPad does one need?

Reaktor, MAX/MSP, VST/AU, etc. A place for all things soft....

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

jdaddyaz
Wiggling with Experience

How much iPad does one need?

Post by jdaddyaz » Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:51 am

I'm keep seeing all these great apps being released for IOS but not much for android users. I'd like to utilize a tablet to hands on control ableton and also use some of these really cool sound mangling apps coming out. Would an IPad 2 cut it or do I need to aim higher. Cheaper the better.
Be good to yourself, and be good to others.

gryfon1
The Chaos Acres Home for Electrons

Re: How much iPad does one need?

Post by gryfon1 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:09 pm

Good news/bad news. You almost certainly don’t need to max out the system memory. I’ve got an iPad Pro 9.7” with 128G of system memory. I have 95.51G free.
But I would advise one of the iPad Pro models rather than one of the others.

listentoaheartbeat
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by listentoaheartbeat » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:54 am

A new iPad 10.2 is by far the best option for music apps on a budget. You won't save much buying used but miss out on performance and future-proofing. I am currently using an iPad 2 in the studio and it is super laggy even with sequencers and patch editors.

nostalghia
Ultra Wiggler

Post by nostalghia » Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:15 pm

Factory certified refurbs from Apple are a good option (1 year warranty, same as new):
https://www.apple.com/shop/refurbished/ipad/64gb-wi-fi
“If you look for a meaning, you'll miss everything that happens.” - Andrei Tarkovsky
https://soundcloud.com/nostalghia70s

murch33
Common Wiggler

Post by murch33 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:39 pm

On a machine I can’t upgrade after the fact I’m much more inclined to go all in on. I just picked up an 11” iPad Pro and have no complaints. Sure it was almost $1k, but I know it’ll run anything I could possibly want for the foreseeable future.

If it was a laptop or desktop then sure, maybe grab something more affordable and upgrade later as needed. But if you go with a lesser iPad and find out it’s not enough for you then your only option is to do it all over again.

Phil999
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Phil999 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:26 pm

iPad2 is still very useful, as a sequencer or controller. I have two of them, today mainly for colour correction control (element-VS app from Tangent) in DaVinci Resolve and in CaptureOne. The important thing is, for music application, the right audio/MIDI interface for iPad. A simpler and cheaper variant is an iRig guitar pedal with TRRS socket where you can insert the iPad or old iPhone into the studio, or a self-built cable.

The iPad2 has a 32-bit CPU, more modern apps run on iOS 10 and higher. But there are plenty of good apps for 32-bit CPU.

eclectics
Wiggling with Experience

Post by eclectics » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:56 pm

Last year i updated my ipad 2 to whatever the basic model was then. I've been really happy with it.

iPad 2 can go up to IOS 9.35. If you get a good deal, it's a good way of trying things out, but as usual, the action favours newer, more powerful ipads.

Some great programs will still run on ipad 2; but you can't always get older versions of them if you didn't already have the original. For some apps apparently you can download itunes business edition, which lets you download apps to your computer, then if your ipad is too old to use them it will prompt for an older edition-- but not all apps have older editions available.

Some of the apps I really liked on ipad 2 are Aum, Audioshare, ivcs3, audiobus 3, borderlands, tc-11, thumbjam, animoog, bs16-i, genome, lemur, samplr, little midi machine, nodebeat, garageband.

Gribs
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Gribs » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:29 am

I just haven’t found the iPad to be a very useful tool for me for making music other than noodling. Your personal satisfaction might be different.

Other than very basic things like reading, email, forums, YT, and other social media, the one place I have found an iPad Pro with the pencil V2 to be useful is note taking and cranking out mathematical computations and ideas for work. I still like to write notes and the new pencil is the first time a stylus has worked well for me. I tried to convert to electronic notes and an old-fashioned stylus on an original iPad quite a while ago and gave up due to frustration with tracking errors. Now I take my iPad to meetings, especially with vendors, and write using Notability all the time.
----------------------------------------

jdaddyaz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jdaddyaz » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:44 pm

Thanks gang!
Be good to yourself, and be good to others.

oisin
Veteran Wiggler

Post by oisin » Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:32 am

i still use my ipad 2 for midi / controller stuff (touchable and some sequencing).. but its quite slow - but pretty amazing that it still handles alot of apps.

Control
Common Wiggler

Post by Control » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:50 pm

I’m still using my Air 2 and still handles pretty much what I throw at it.

Return to “Music Software”