Linnstrument for Easel 208c

Discussing some incredible modules that don't quite fit into the other forum categories.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Ichor&Gore
Learning to Wiggle

Linnstrument for Easel 208c

Post by Ichor&Gore » Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:04 pm

In anticipation of the longer wait for the 208c i have been looking into controllers for the command and i keep wondering about the linnstrument. I emailed Roger but he wasnt aware of the 208c but stated that if it has midi it will work. Buchla didn't answer.

I would love a 218 to go with the 208c however i wouldnt mind exploring the linnstrument. An earlier post by another member indicated that used with a 200e system there were clicks present. Wondering if this was due to the midi conversion module used or user error.

Anybody have positive experience with the linnstrument and Buchla? Yes i would love a 218 and yes i see the kits though was hoping for a modern version keyboard. Your thoughts?

tele_player
Common Wiggler

Re: Linnstrument for Easel 208c

Post by tele_player » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:34 pm

The Linnstrument is intended for polyphonic use - and the 208c isn't very polyphonic.

Have you considered an Arturia Keystep? A Sensel Morph?

gruvsyco
Wiggling with Experience

Post by gruvsyco » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:07 pm

I did a quick search on the google as I'm looking at buying a Linnstrument soon. I love alternate controllers. I already have a Push2, Future Retro 512 and the Buchla 223.

It looks like according to this viewtopic.php?t=184709 Someone had troubles with their Linnstrument on a 200e system. I know the Buchla guys are trying to hammer out all the MIDI bugs on the new 208 though so that may not be an issue?

As far as polyphony and monophony (? is that a word)... here's a video of a guy using one with a TTSH. I don't think that would be an issue at all and would probably give you similar expression as the touch capacitive Buchla controllers.

Wiggling with Experience

Post by 01235813 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:07 am

My thoughts:

do you have any other plans for the Linnstrument? I think it would be totally worth it if you intended on using it in a regular midi/DAW environment as well as with the Easel. I wouldn't buy it for the sole purpose of controlling the easel. I think the linnstrument really shines when using it with chords and polyphony. I feel as if it would be an expensive controller if you only intend to use it with the 208c.

I'm totally sold on the 208/218 combo so if I didn't have a 218 I'd take a look at the Korg Mikrofreak.

I would wait with the controller. There have been some awesome clips online but to this day I'm not 100 percent sure how deep midi will be implemented in the Easel Command, I would wait and see and then buy a controller based upon those ins and outs.

Ichor&Gore
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Ichor&Gore » Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:43 pm

gruvsyco wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:07 pm
I did a quick search on the google as I'm looking at buying a Linnstrument soon. I love alternate controllers. I already have a Push2, Future Retro 512 and the Buchla 223.

It looks like according to this https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... p?t=184709 Someone had troubles with their Linnstrument on a 200e system. I know the Buchla guys are trying to hammer out all the MIDI bugs on the new 208 though so that may not be an issue?

As far as polyphony and monophony (? is that a word)... here's a video of a guy using one with a TTSH. I don't think that would be an issue at all and would probably give you similar expression as the touch capacitive Buchla controllers.

Yeah this is what I am talking about. Thanks for posting the video. I had not seen this as i was focused solely on the Buchla Linnstrument equation. I wondered if that post your referencing ( and I read it too ) was due to using the Buchla Midi unit. In any case even if the new 208C doesn't work with it I can always use a midi to pulse etc.

Ichor&Gore
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Ichor&Gore » Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:48 pm

01235813 wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:07 am
My thoughts:

do you have any other plans for the Linnstrument? I think it would be totally worth it if you intended on using it in a regular midi/DAW environment as well as with the Easel. I wouldn't buy it for the sole purpose of controlling the easel. I think the linnstrument really shines when using it with chords and polyphony. I feel as if it would be an expensive controller if you only intend to use it with the 208c.

I'm totally sold on the 208/218 combo so if I didn't have a 218 I'd take a look at the Korg Mikrofreak.

I would wait with the controller. There have been some awesome clips online but to this day I'm not 100 percent sure how deep midi will be implemented in the Easel Command, I would wait and see and then buy a controller based upon those ins and outs.
I would use the Linnstrument for everything. I do want a 218 and kits are reasonably priced however I noticed that the kits have some differences and i wonder if the missed features would be an issue. I do hope Buchla re releases the 218 at some point.

Wiggling with Experience

Post by 01235813 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:03 pm

Ichor&Gore wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:48 pm
I would use the Linnstrument for everything. I do want a 218 and kits are reasonably priced however I noticed that the kits have some differences and i wonder if the missed features would be an issue. I do hope Buchla re releases the 218 at some point.
I have a BUSA 218e and a 218r, the 218r is based on the original. In comparison to the 218e the 218r is missing the arpeggiator as well as midi functionality. The midi the 218e brings along is limited but the new 208c has that base covered.

Another thing the 218e has is the ability to fine tune the pressure sensitivity (I use this all the time).

The BUSA 218e doesn't have frets. It has one touch plate more (4) for octave transposition.

I really enjoy the 218r, sure it's missing the arpeggiator but it plays really well. I find that it reacts slightly quicker and I am able to play a little faster with it. There are absolutely no grounding issues. (I have to add that the 218e I have is from BUSA and it rarely ever acts up, nothing worth mentioning.) I enjoy both and am happy to play either or. Alas, they do feel like slightly different controllers, same spirit. I would't want to choose between either or. The 218r is awesome and if well built is rock solid and a perfect compliment for the easel. Being that the 218e isn't being offered at the moment, I can only recommend it.

All that being said, the new easel was intended to be used with all kinds of modern equipment, I can't wait to try this out. I'm really curious as to how other controllers hold up but I don't see anything replacing the 218.

Ichor&Gore
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Ichor&Gore » Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:36 pm

01235813 wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:03 pm
Ichor&Gore wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:48 pm
All that being said, the new easel was intended to be used with all kinds of modern equipment, I can't wait to try this out. I'm really curious as to how other controllers hold up but I don't see anything replacing the 218.
Same here. I've read that March April is the ship date but I am skeptical. I am leaning towards the Sensel at the moment and mostly because everyone demonstrating the Linnstrument uses a lot of pitch bending and vibrato. It's cool for a moment.

Return to “Buchla, EMS & Serge”