Serge cheeks/boat solution for mixed R*S & LW system

Discussing some incredible modules that don't quite fit into the other forum categories.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

deltaphoenix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Serge cheeks/boat solution for mixed R*S & LW system

Post by deltaphoenix » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:02 pm

So, I have amassed a Serge system that I am digging and I am wanting to get the boats off of my floor and put together in a nicer manner.
I have 2 R*S XL boats and one LW format (cLee) boat and it is the normal 17” wide size. So, ideally I would like to figure out some sort of XL solution for the LW format Serge modules, this way I can get a few more modules to round out what I have. Has anyone figured out a solution for this?
I know I could go with Eurorack rails with sliding nuts but that would not provide a boat solution. I suppose I could attach the rails to a wood box or something.
Alternatively, I could trade the 2 XL boats for 3 normal sized one and then have a 4 panel Serge but I would like that additional 1/2 panel worth of modules.
Last edited by deltaphoenix on Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

the bad producer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Serge cheeks/boat solution for mixed R*S & LW system

Post by the bad producer » Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:24 am

How wide are XL RS boats?

deltaphoenix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by deltaphoenix » Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:50 am

25.5” I believe (17 x 1.5)

I will pull my tape measure out in a bit and confirm

the bad producer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by the bad producer » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:57 am

I thought this morning that the best way would be to take some tools to the *RS* one and add rails, but I note now that it is super shallow so not useful in fact, for this.

deltaphoenix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by deltaphoenix » Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:50 pm

I am wondering if a 6 space Buchla boat will work. I believe a 4 space = 17”

teleport
Common Wiggler

Post by teleport » Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:34 pm

Have been puzzling on a related note. I have a setup that currently consists of four Hammond single-panel boats and a couple LW Clee's (with a few more single panels in the works).

Am anticipating wanting to have some flexibility between configurations and to switch from the main studio configuration to an occasional "travel-system" for playing with friends and whatnot, so keeping the boats modular is a goal. What I've been picturing is a system of trays two or three boats-worth wide (similar to the buchla setups) that could have cheeks joining several tiers. (basically exactly like the long Buchla cases held together with cheeks, but a bit bigger to accept a boat and without screw tabs, (some other way of securing the boats in these would need to be devised, maybe velcro or a friction fit). In this scheme the individual boats could easily disembark and could be rearranged for their differently configured voyages and solo missions. The only part of this that I'm having trouble picturing is the power inlets positioning - mine all have 4 pin XLR's on the side (R*S style, added to the CLee's also). (an easy fix could just be to ditch the xlr's and run an MTA pigtail out the backside, and have feet on the boats or a channel in the big tray for clearance).

I believe the ratio between R*S XL boats and a standard is (eta just saw this is confirmed above) 1.5 to 1, so a 3x standard-wide could accept two XL's.

Finding this attractive because it retains the macro-modular paradigm and mobility of boats, (with a related cluster of units), and sort of extends the Voltron style concept. What would these be called, docks? bays?

Return to “Buchla, EMS & Serge”