Tiny laptop for Max/msp

Reaktor, MAX/MSP, VST/AU, etc. A place for all things soft....

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

lionelfischer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Tiny laptop for Max/msp

Post by lionelfischer » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:19 pm

Besides the tiny GDP Win2 laptop, is there anything else similar size (could be a tablet also) with more than 6GB Ram that could run sample heavy max patches (40 tracks of uncompressed audio, but just doing simple volume and pitch adjustments)

skautkurt
Common Wiggler

Re: Tiny laptop for Max/msp

Post by skautkurt » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:06 pm

How about a Thinkpad x230? 12.5" Screen (the IPS one is waaaay nicer), quite okay Batterylife,
a good CPU, and often sold with 8GB and an SSD on ebay. Best thing: they are cheap as chips. :75: They most likely will have some blemishes, as a lot of them are leasing devices, but I really like them. (also quite tough and light, and the x230 is the first gen with 2 USB 3.0 Ports)

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:39 pm

Look at used machines. There are always great deals for used laptops that are still powerful enough to run Max/Msp on.
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

rjungemann
Ultra Wiggler

Post by rjungemann » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:47 pm

I'm using my Surface Go mostly for playing softsynths in Reaper with an external controller, and mucking around with Max atm. Just be sure to get the 8GB version. It's not a powerhouse but totally fine for audio and light coding.

An app combo that I really like is LoopMIDI + XotoPad. XotoPad is a multi-touch interface like TouchOSC or something, but can be used as an MPE controller a little like GeoShred but simpler. With it, you can make MPE synths in Max with the new MC polyphony feature, and then play them on the same machine with XotoPad.
My modular (ModularGrid). Check out my new synth-pop album, Umbram.

Ears
Common Wiggler

Post by Ears » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:43 pm

I bought a refurbished Surface Go! for use with my Haken Continuumini when I travel. It’s so tiny but works really well for the editor (which I think is written in Max).

And gonna check XotoPad - def am a fan of touch and outside of iOS it seems to be ignored as a music UI gamechanger.

hamildad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hamildad » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:36 am

holding out for an update on the Surface Go model which is planned for Spring summer.

I was always on the fence but if the rumours of a processor upgrade are true, I will be using that for Live Suite and Max, but going to be realistic about what it can handle without glitching out.
My Synth Instagram here * My Synth videos here
-
External PSUs and DC jacks are the hallmarks of toys. - Graham Hinton.
-
I am one of the "tiny fraction of a percentage of oversensitive idiots" who feels the name of this site sends the wrong message.
-
This is primarily for melody and historical educational purposes - Analogue Music

Return to “Music Software”