Expert Sleepers ES8 / Logic X

Discussion and support for Expert Sleepers' Silent Way software and hardware.

Moderators: Kent, os

falloutsoldier
Learning to Wiggle

Expert Sleepers ES8 / Logic X

Post by falloutsoldier » Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:49 pm

Im having a problem with my ES8 - I think its probably a logic issue but I cant work it out

I have my ES8 Set up as an aggrate device with my UAD apollo 16

I have managed to send audio out to the ES8 - process it with my modular & then send it back in

I can see the lights flashing for the in & out on the ES8 Module

I can also see the meter on the audio input channel responding in Logic and saying there is signal coming in

but I cant hear anything...

If I press record on logic it records the audio coming in through the ES8 & then when I play it back the recorded audio I can hear it like normal, but it doesn't seem to be passing though logic for me to hear it when I press play without recording it

I have tried pressing the R & I buttons on the logic channel

its routed to the main output & other sounds are coming out of the main output, except the input of the Es8

Im really confused, especially as if you record it, its working fine

if anyone could help me would be greatly appreciated :)

Joey P.
Common Wiggler

Re: Expert Sleepers ES8 / Logic X

Post by Joey P. » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:12 pm

Do you have SOFTWARE MONITORING checked in LOGIC PREFERENCES>AUDIO?

falloutsoldier
Learning to Wiggle

Post by falloutsoldier » Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:46 pm

I didnt, but I tried it with it on & nothing happened - I dont have software monitoring on as it makes the signal double up when using the Apollo Software

I just cant work it out :despair:

falloutsoldier
Learning to Wiggle

Post by falloutsoldier » Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:23 pm

maybe this is a problem with using UA console software & and having ES8 as an aggregate device

would i need to route it in through the console software maybe? is that possible?

falloutsoldier
Learning to Wiggle

Post by falloutsoldier » Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:40 pm

If i have software monitoring turned on it won't sound doesn't come out when its playing, but when I press stop on logic I hear a quick second of the audio come through

so strange

Joey P.
Common Wiggler

Post by Joey P. » Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:19 pm

Didn’t realize you were using Apollo. I use an ES-3/5 with Apollo over ADAT. Apollo doesn’t support aggregate devices, but that’s not to say it shouldn’t work. But pretty sure you need software monitoring on to hear it unless there is some monitoring app with ES-8 that allows for direct monitoring. You could bag the USB and use the ADAT in/out as a converter, then you’d just use Apollo ADATs in logic and console directly to your ES-8 analog i/o. Do you have a rack Apollo with both ADAT in and out?

falloutsoldier
Learning to Wiggle

Post by falloutsoldier » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:53 am

Really Appreciate your help!

Im still a bit confused what ADAT is if im totally honest, I dont think if my Apollo has it:

Im using this Apollo 16 Thunderbolt 2 - https://studiocare.com/products/univers ... -interface
which is plugged in via thunderbolt to the mac

then Im using the ES8 which is also plugged into the mac via USB

I have the apollo / ES8 as an aggregate device in the mac sound settings

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:05 am

I think you are correct that your particular Apollo interface does not have ADAT.

This may not help at all, but I’ve had the same symptoms you describe with aggregate devices (different devices though) if all the interfaces aren’t already powered on when I boot my Mac. If my Mac is running first, and then I power up the interfaces, often the aggregate device doesn’t really come together correctly and I have to either reboot the computer or rebuild the aggregate device in the Audio MIDI setup.

Plumbstone
Common Wiggler

Post by Plumbstone » Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:54 am

The latest UAD update does support aggregate devices but you do need to have software monitoring on as there is no way to monitor the extra inputs through the Console app. I am using an Apollo with an ES8 via aggregate and it all seems to work fine most of the time. I usually have my Audio/Midi setup open so I can quickly uncheck and recheck the ES8 which usually clears up any issues.

If you're able to record audio into logic from the ES8 inputs then it is almost definitely a monitoring issue in Logic as opposed to the UAD. Maybe post up a screenshot of your Logic audio preferences (the general tab) but I simply have software monitoring on, Auto Input off, and thee 'focused' and 'independant' boxed unchecked and it all works fine.
Screenshot 2020-03-08 01.01.04.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

falloutsoldier
Learning to Wiggle

Post by falloutsoldier » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:46 am

thanks for your replies :)

I have the same audio settings as your picture

so I tried turning the es8 & apollo one before I switched on the computer

when I went into logic, I played it & nothing happened, then when I turned software monitoring on while logic was playing it started to work

but then if I press stop in Logic & start playing again it stops working & if I press play with software monitoring checked, it doesnt work

I have to uncheck software monitorin.... then press play.... then check software monitoring while logic is playing for it to work

does anyone have any idea why this is?

Ideally would prefer not to have to do that every time I want to use it

again thank you for your help!

falloutsoldier
Learning to Wiggle

Post by falloutsoldier » Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:56 pm

still struggling with this if anyone can offer any help

Return to “Expert Sleepers”