E-RM Polygogo

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Severed head
Veteran Wiggler

Re: E-RM Polygogo

Post by Severed head » Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:09 am

versipellis wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:58 am

DivKid does Polygogo too!
and strategically plugs his new module as well
WTB: modules, MA35 filter.
:help:

versipellis
Wiggling with Experience

Post by versipellis » Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:50 pm

So, if I were to plan to get into video synthesis with this, what would I need to generate the same visuals? Two oscilloscopes?
tunes: https://www.soundcloud.com/dycedot
in boston? I run nights: https://www.facebook.com/4OTFEvents/
selling [Qu-bit Bloom; NE Cursus Iteritas]: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=229821

cat_abyss
Learning to Wiggle

Post by cat_abyss » Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:28 pm

versipellis wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:50 pm
So, if I were to plan to get into video synthesis with this, what would I need to generate the same visuals? Two oscilloscopes?
Usually oscilloscopes have an X input and a Y input, which would give the same visual as the screen if you patch the two outputs to em (with the right scale and zoom, etc).
The usual sweeping motion of an oscilloscope comes from an internal sawtooth normalled to the X input.

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:55 pm

versipellis wrote:
If you want to get into video synthesis and be able to create this (and a gazillion more stuff) with one module - Erogenous Tones Structure. That thing is just absolutely mental. Love it to bits. :love:

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:55 am

Wish it offered the tuning lock button that FrapTools just introduced on the BRENSO. What a great idea!

versipellis
Wiggling with Experience

Post by versipellis » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:56 am

cat_abyss wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:28 pm
versipellis wrote:
Usually oscilloscopes have an X input and a Y input, which would give the same visual as the screen if you patch the two outputs to em (with the right scale and zoom, etc).
The usual sweeping motion of an oscilloscope comes from an internal sawtooth normalled to the X input.
Daisuk wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:55 pm
versipellis wrote:
If you want to get into video synthesis and be able to create this (and a gazillion more stuff) with one module - Erogenous Tones Structure. That thing is just absolutely mental. Love it to bits. :love:
Thank you both so much! Is Structure the only thing that can do it? Are there any other visual eurorack scopes?
tunes: https://www.soundcloud.com/dycedot
in boston? I run nights: https://www.facebook.com/4OTFEvents/
selling [Qu-bit Bloom; NE Cursus Iteritas]: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=229821

MikeLeeBirds
Common Wiggler

Post by MikeLeeBirds » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:32 am

mdoudoroff wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:55 am
Wish it offered the tuning lock button that FrapTools just introduced on the BRENSO. What a great idea!
It DOES have tuning lock! Push all three buttons together and the pitch is locked.

MikeLeeBirds
Common Wiggler

Post by MikeLeeBirds » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:33 am

There is a additional mode which allows only integer FM ratios.
It works kind of like an octave switch when using FM. Very handy.

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:09 pm

MikeLeeBirds wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:32 am
mdoudoroff wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:55 am
It DOES have tuning lock! Push all three buttons together and the pitch is locked.
Cool! I guess no manual is available, yet?

MikeLeeBirds
Common Wiggler

Post by MikeLeeBirds » Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:18 pm

mdoudoroff wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:09 pm

Cool! I guess no manual is available, yet?
The developer’s idea was that there won’t be a manual because everything is pretty self explanatory and can be learned/experienced by playing around.
I mentioned to him that I love Make Noise manuals because they are very detailed and give a lot of background to the ideas behind a module, synthesis methods, etc. and I’d love to learn as much about the workings of Polygogo as I can.
But unless he changed his mind since the last time we spoke there will not be a manual.
I can imagine, though, that if there are enough requests for more theoretical insight he could be swayed.

Lux A Turner
Common Wiggler

Post by Lux A Turner » Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:32 pm

OMG!!! :woah: Oh Wow!! :sb: Oh damn :doh: Hmmmmm... :hmm:

I love everything about this, except the size.

The price isn't such an issue, because it's so HUGE that there's all sorts of other stuff I won't be able buy, if I stuff this into the 6U 104HP I have in progress. According to MG: I would actually save $300 on the overall cost of the rack, if I went that route.

Then again, it would make another 3U pretty inevitable...
It may stop, but it never ends.

My Rack (a work in progress)

Agawell
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Agawell » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:43 am

Lux A Turner wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:32 pm
it would make another 3U pretty inevitable...
it already is!
but an extra 6u, not 3
Instagram

Utility modules are the inexpensive, dull polish that makes the expensive, shiny modules actually shine - and stops them tarnishing too!!!

Lux A Turner
Common Wiggler

Post by Lux A Turner » Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:47 pm

Agawell wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:43 am
Lux A Turner wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:32 pm
it would make another 3U pretty inevitable...
it already is!
but an extra 6u, not 3
Oh, behave! :lol:

Seriously though: lovely as this is, I think I should get to know the toys I already have in a little more detail, before committing to another voice. While I'm doing that, I shall mull over some of the other complex oscillators and 'non-standard' sources again; now that I realise I can make the space without compromising the 'spirit' of the instrument...
It may stop, but it never ends.

My Rack (a work in progress)

dani
Common Wiggler

Post by dani » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:11 am

The resonance and video/user output of this module is quite low for such an interesting oscillator.

How does it compare to other (big) oscillators as Shapeshifter, Loquelic Iteritas or other complex oscillators? Does it generate new unheard timbres? Is the range and diversity high enough to recoup the hp size and price?

Is it just a graphical hype or does it drive on the quest for unheard sound sculptures?

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:48 am

We don’t exactly know.

I’m currently looking at Polygogo as an alternative approach to things like complex oscillators. Seems to play in the same timbral garden, but takes a different approach. It has some things in common, like the wave folder-ish feature and internal modulation, maybe with a little parametric wavetabley-ness thrown in?

I still think it looks like fun.

mOBiTh
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mOBiTh » Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:12 pm

whats the point of the screen exactly?

Buyakasoundman
Common Wiggler

Post by Buyakasoundman » Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:45 pm

mOBiTh wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:12 pm
It’s visual feedback and it is lovely. Linear faders and active visual feedback lend itself to a different creative approach than say Maths. Where one rewards experimentation rooted in acquired knowledge and experience, the other rewards a simpler sense of play. The cynic might say it’s childlike, dumbed down, or gimmicky, but I think it looks extremely fun.
If I read too much apprehension in your question, and you’re genuinely interested in it’s function, there are quite a few demo vids on the tube that show how the screen reflects modulations of different oscillator settings.
Last edited by Buyakasoundman on Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MikeLeeBirds
Common Wiggler

Post by MikeLeeBirds » Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:31 pm

Buyakasoundman wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:45 pm
mOBiTh wrote:
It’s visual feedback and it is lovely. Linear faders and active visual feedback lend itself to a different creative approach then say Maths. Where one rewards experimentation rooted in acquired knowledge and experience, the other rewards a simpler sense of play. The cynic might say it’s childlike, dumbed down, or gimmicky, but I think it looks extremely fun.
If I read too much apprehension in your question, and you’re genuinely interested in it’s function, there are quite a few demo vids on the tube that show how the screen reflects modulations of different oscillator settings.
This!

I‘ve heard some say that the screen is nonsense and a toy. I absolutely disagree as it brings me joy to also see what‘s happening. I find it makes it easier to got back to certain sounds by trying to find certain shapes again.
Being able to visualize audio and modulations to better understand what‘s happening is why I bought DATA in the first place.

Everyone‘s mileage may vary, of course.
Last edited by MikeLeeBirds on Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MikeLeeBirds
Common Wiggler

Post by MikeLeeBirds » Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:34 pm

mdoudoroff wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:48 am
We don’t exactly know.

I’m currently looking at Polygogo as an alternative approach to things like complex oscillators. Seems to play in the same timbral garden, but takes a different approach. It has some things in common, like the wave folder-ish feature and internal modulation, maybe with a little parametric wavetabley-ness thrown in?

I still think it looks like fun.
I sold CS-L after I played with Polygogo. I can imagine that CS-L is more feature rich and can go more places and be more complex. But I love the range of sounds Polygogo produces and the ease and fun in tweaking its incredibly intuitive interface.

nniikkoo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by nniikkoo » Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:13 am

How does this compares to Modcan FMVDO? Since both modules do digital FM. Anyone have experience with both modules?

synonymist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by synonymist » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:55 pm

mOBiTh wrote:
Apparently it is to spare the module being simply functional and usefully smaller.

erm polygogo utilitarian layout mockup.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

racooniac
Wiggling with Experience

Post by racooniac » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:06 pm

i would be totally interested in a screen-less smaller polygogo because more different timbres is never wrong.
but i dont wanna spend all those HP just for eyecandy at the moment, maybe later when my rack is bigger ;D

nangu
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nangu » Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:45 am

I’m not sure losing the screen would make it much smaller. It’s a super-thin single-PCB design, and there’s probably important stuff going on underneath the display’s footprint. However, it would definitely make it much less fun. Seeing what’s happening is very useful and makes it a lot faster and nicer to use. And it’s kinda hypnotic. I’m biased because mine will be seeing some video use for oscillographics and whatnot (the built-in preview will be awesome for that!) but there’s no way I’d ever buy a version of this that didn’t have a screen.

I suspect that people aren’t talking about this module a lot simply because there aren’t very many out in the wild yet. I get the feeling that they’re doing final assembly and QC by hand and then shipping them out in small batches. I just got mine on Saturday.

I don’t have a ton of time on it yet and it’s in a drum-centric 6u at the moment- that was the fastest place I could carve out room for it. My early impressions are that it’s truly magnificent, and that it doesn’t seem to get lost in the weeds quite as quickly as other complex oscs when under heavy modulation. Hoping to post a video or two sometime soon..

gummyboy
Wiggling with Experience

Post by gummyboy » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:03 am

What does "OP ratio" button do exactly?
Is it sort of quantization?

It has 3 steps. off, in and out, and stay on.

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:57 am

OP ratio quantizes the 1:N ratio. See Loopop’s video starting around 9:00.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”