Buchla System purchase 2020?

Discussing some incredible modules that don't quite fit into the other forum categories.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, lisa, Joe.

Tonefloat01
Wiggling with Experience

Buchla System purchase 2020?

Post by Tonefloat01 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:31 pm

Hello Buchla World!

Apologies way in advance for asking these questions but I’m new to this world and want to make an informed decision before buying!

So been thinking about this long and hard and I believe that 2020 is the year that I’d like to acquire a Buchla system but I have some questions...

1. Is Buchla still in business? (Looks like their website is very dated IMHO...)
2. Is a Buchla system a wise investment in 2020?
2. Can’t seem to find Skylab (or other) systems in stock anywhere, is this due to demand? Built to order? Discontinued?
3. I can’t find a 2020 price list on the Buchla site (but can add it up via their retailers which is a pain).
4. How long does it take to get a system ordered & made (wait time)?

I think that a Skylab system sized system would be what I’m envisioning with the modules listed below:

1. 259e Twisted Waveform Generator
2. 259e Twisted Waveform Generator
3. 251e Quad Sequential Voltage Source
4. 225e MIDI Decoder / Preset Manager
5. 261e Complex Waveform Generator
6. 227e System Interface
7. 281e Quad Function Generator
8. 250e Dual Arbitrary Function Generator
9. 292e Quad Dynamics Manager
10. 266e Source of Uncertainty
11. 291e Triple Morphing Filter

Thanks in advance for your help! :guinness:
The space you occupy determines the time that you live in.

deltaphoenix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Buchla System purchase 2020?

Post by deltaphoenix » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:51 pm

1. Yes they are in business.
2. I doubt that any modular is really a wise investment but Buchla sure is a lot of fun.
3. Not discontinued, just email Buchla.
4. Really, Buchla is selling through their retailers now. Luckily the guy that primarily owns Buchla also owns one of the retail outlets (Foxtone)
5. IDK

Also, your desired modules won’t fit into a Skylab case. A Skylab holds 10 spaces of modules and you have 13 spaces of modules. I would drop one of the 259e and the 251e, get some cv processing - say a 257e and get a 12 space case.
Last edited by deltaphoenix on Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mutierend
Veteran Wiggler

Post by mutierend » Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:00 am

Foxtone and Noisebug are the two dealers in the US.

Tonefloat01
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Tonefloat01 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:06 am

Thanks @deltaphoenix for your reply!

Sorry, my mistake to list the 259e twice..
I see your point regarding the CV module in place of the 251e__
Definitely food for thought, thanks!

Wiggling with Experience

Post by 01235813 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:39 am

Tonefloat01 wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:31 pm
Hello Buchla World!

Apologies way in advance for asking these questions but I’m new to this world and want to make an informed decision before buying!

So been thinking about this long and hard and I believe that 2020 is the year that I’d like to acquire a Buchla system but I have some questions...

1. Is Buchla still in business? (Looks like their website is very dated IMHO...)
2. Can’t seem to find Skylab (or other) systems in stock anywhere, is this due to demand? Built to order? Discontinued?
3. I can’t find a 2020 price list on the Buchla site (but can add it up via their retailers which is a pain).

I think that a Skylab system sized system would be what I’m envisioning with the modules listed below:

6. 227e System Interface

1. They are very much in business. Eric Fox is the owner and is doing a stellar job. - The website- dated? You should have seen Dons..
2. There are very few objects I would buy in form of an investment. Buchla is not one, probably better than whiskey..?
3. Look at their website, it has a link to all of Buchla dealers.
4. I've had to partake in patience when ordering Buchla.. it was always worth it.

momo
Ultra Wiggler

Post by momo » Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:01 pm

Just to give balance to the above, I’m not sure I would recommend a newcomer to dive in because:

Buchla USA have other priorities (besides 200e, which while they might call their flagship is also their most niche product)
We’ve not had a new 200e module for a number of years
We’ve not had firmware support for even longer

I don’t wish to detract from any efforts from the current owners, but have to be honest that it’s tough being this patient as an existing user and not really knowing what the future holds (hence my opening statement).

At this stage, and I’m not being facetious, it might seem a better idea to buy into the Keen Association ecosystem. I hope the future holds some bright good times but for now 200e is pretty stagnant, sadly.

mestlick
Common Wiggler

Post by mestlick » Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:25 pm

An even more different opinion:
A Buchla system is a true instrument that you can play for a lifetime, so if playing modular is your hobby or occupation it is a great investment.
Think of it like buying a Steinway.

I would start with either an Easel, or plan on expanding into an 18-24U case.
I started with an Easel, and quickly ended up with 16U more.

deltaphoenix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by deltaphoenix » Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:43 pm

momo wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:01 pm
Just to give balance to the above, I’m not sure I would recommend a newcomer to dive in because:

Buchla USA have other priorities (besides 200e, which while they might call their flagship is also their most niche product)
We’ve not had a new 200e module for a number of years
We’ve not had firmware support for even longer

I don’t wish to detract from any efforts from the current owners, but have to be honest that it’s tough being this patient as an existing user and not really knowing what the future holds (hence my opening statement).

At this stage, and I’m not being facetious, it might seem a better idea to buy into the Keen Association ecosystem. I hope the future holds some bright good times but for now 200e is pretty stagnant, sadly.
I would say that you aren't totally wrong - my system is a mix of Keen and Buchla. Keen is bringing a lot of innovation which is great.

I have spoken with Eric a couple of times, for extended periods of time and asked him some of these same questions. Eric basically said there were ideas of Don's that were in various stages of development, Joel was involved in all of these projects and who knows Don's creative mind better than Joel? Eric didn't commit to a release date or share specifics but he did essentially say that 200e isn't dead. This 208c project was definitely in development at that time and the priority. This being a successful release helps fund additional 200e modules essentially.

Eric is a businessman (and seemingly a good one) so of course he led with a product that has the potential to sell to a wider audience. ALso, I am not in the know about any details but that is the net net from two long conversations.

jsheaucsb
Common Wiggler

Post by jsheaucsb » Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:43 pm

I'll also chime in. The stagnation of modules doesn't detract from the simple reality that Don was light-years ahead of most manufactures when it came to instrument design. It will take me a lifetime to explore what I have in my 200e / 200v system. Its an investment in where you want to take your music and for me its been incredibly rewarding.

Foxtone is more than just a dealer of Buchla USA. The owner of both companies is a super nice guy named Eric.

Tonefloat01
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Tonefloat01 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:17 pm

Thank you everyone for providing me with your insights regarding a purchase of a Buchla system.
I totally understand both the passion and frustration of owning boutique and exotic gear.
I’m not looking to ‘invest’ in a Buchla to make money down the road just to make great electronic music into the future.
I know that the new easel command (208c) is coming out soon and I hope it does very well for them as some of you have stated.
Hopefully that will free up some revenue in order to make some new 200e modules that Don envisioned but never made it to the stores.
The 1979, Keen Association and Norther Lights modules are amazing additions to the Buchla format and definitely give me more options.
Thanks again for all the help! :guinness:

mirf59
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mirf59 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:13 pm

Tonefloat01 wrote:
Hello Buchla World!

6. 227e System Interface

Buchla is an indulgence. File under "you only live once."

There is a special exhilaration that comes for some when they play a Buchla. I think it's what happens when someone who loves music, and making music, encounters a great, inspiring instrument. When my young son first played mine, he told me, "dad, never sell this!" (I should probably ask him again once he has some idea of what's financially reasonable)

You have to get OK with putting more money into your instrument than you've put into your car.

Brian

~~~~

mutierend
Veteran Wiggler

Post by mutierend » Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:29 pm

mirf59 wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:13 pm
You have to get OK with putting more money into your instrument than you've put into your car.
Easy fix: buy a more expensive car!

Tonefloat01
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Tonefloat01 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:11 pm

If I bought a more expensive car then I couldn’t get more gear.
:cry:

rolsteins
Common Wiggler

Post by rolsteins » Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:54 pm

Tonefloat01 wrote:
Hello Buchla World!

6. 227e System Interface

Go for used Nord G1.

Tonefloat01
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Tonefloat01 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:50 pm

rolsteins wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:54 pm
Tonefloat01 wrote:
Hello Buchla World!

6. 227e System Interface

Go for used Nord G1.

You’re joking right....

notmiserlouagain
Veteran Wiggler

Post by notmiserlouagain » Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:01 am

Tonefloat01 wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:50 pm
rolsteins wrote:
Go for used Nord G1.
You’re joking right....
Only from a certain perspective, if you´re looking for advanced modular synthesis, the Nord has all you´d ever need, so you would buy the Buchla for some other reason,
just a thing to be clear about bfore spending almost ∞ $... :tu:
He who eats with most pleasure is he who least requires sauce.
Xenophon

Tonefloat01
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Tonefloat01 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:53 pm

I totally understand the power of software synthesis (I’m a Kyma user..) but I stare at a screen all day at work and to spend a second more staring into a DAW with countless VST’s and editors puts me off.
The modular worlds (Eurorack & soon Buchla) are sonic escapes and much appreciated time away from all the screens.
Thanks for the advice though!

Tonefloat01
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Tonefloat01 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:01 pm

Okay, so I’m doing my advance purchase research and have been watching all the Buchla videos up on YouTube studying all of the modules that they are using in a patch that inspires me. I couldn’t for the life of me find a couple modules and finally found they were made by Studio h.
I go to their website but they seem to only sell some cards for the preset manager or music easel... do they not make modules anymore?
Also, besides them and Northen Lights, Keen, 1979, and Kilpatrick who also makes Buchla format modules?
I’m not a DIY guy so I’m looking to purchase assembled modules.
Thanks in advance for the continued answers to my newbie questions! :guinness:

Default1
Common Wiggler

Post by Default1 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:21 pm

Tonefloat01 wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:01 pm
Okay, so I’m doing my advance purchase research and have been watching all the Buchla videos up on YouTube studying all of the modules that they are using in a patch that inspires me. I couldn’t for the life of me find a couple modules and finally found they were made by Studio h.
I go to their website but they seem to only sell some cards for the preset manager or music easel... do they not make modules anymore?
Also, besides them and Northen Lights, Keen, 1979, and Kilpatrick who also makes Buchla format modules?
I’m not a DIY guy so I’m looking to purchase assembled modules.
Thanks in advance for the continued answers to my newbie questions! :guinness:
Welcome to the world of Buchla!

Studio H is the work of DougCL. He usually responds very quickly to any email enquiries, and the only way to find out if and when any of the Studio H modules may be available new would be to send him a message.

Noisebug always seem to have some of the 1979 modules listed for sale.

Keen generally tends to release in small runs, and these quickly get sold out.

Northern Light has also done some small runs of modules, and only a limited number are available at any one time, but this is all clearly on their website.

Even when you order Buchla USA modules, if you are ordering one of the more esoteric or expensive modules, there may be a lead time for them to build it and send it out.

As others have said, to buy Buchla requires a degree of patience. Sometimes that module you want (like the Eardrill Pendulum Ratchet!!!) you will just have to scour Reverb, Facebook and the MW marketplace until ones pop up, as the limited run has finished.
http://thesonnydownsquartet.bandcamp.com
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFJ8EW ... -wbwwAVY8Q
The Sonny Downs Quartet is now also on available on Spotify and Apple Music.

Ossicle
Common Wiggler

Post by Ossicle » Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:37 am

mirf59 wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:13 pm
Buchla is an indulgence. File under "you only live once."

There is a special exhilaration that comes for some when they play a Buchla. I think it's what happens when someone who loves music, and making music, encounters a great, inspiring instrument. When my young son first played mine, he told me, "dad, never sell this!" (I should probably ask him again once he has some idea of what's financially reasonable)

Brian

~~~~
Well put.

Tonefloat01
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Tonefloat01 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:02 am

Those Eardrill modules look fantastic! Thanks for the heads up.

ignacio
Common Wiggler

Post by ignacio » Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:09 am

I agree with the sentiment that an easel is the way to start. It's a contained instrument that you can actually play.

rolsteins
Common Wiggler

Post by rolsteins » Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:25 pm

Tonefloat01 wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:50 pm
rolsteins wrote:
Tonefloat01 wrote:
Hello Buchla World!

6. 227e System Interface

Go for used Nord G1.

You’re joking right....
no, seriously.

REcDeso12oi
Common Wiggler

Post by REcDeso12oi » Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:16 pm

Yup. Sounds and works exactly like a Buchla.. GREAT SUGGESTION
---------------

http://chasedeso.com

REcDeso12oi
Common Wiggler

Post by REcDeso12oi » Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:26 pm

also all trolling aside, I'd say 2020 is the first year in a while that I would actually recommend people get into Buchla. Have nothing but high hopes for the future of the company. Think Eric is doing a great job:)

My recommendation would be to start small. Can't recommend the easel enough. It's totally my desert island synth. Then I'd recommend getting a 12u case and slowly start filling it up. Diving into a skylab would be an amazing journey. but I will say it's going to be overwhelming. But sooooo freaking fun.

:miley: :miley: :miley: :omg:

Return to “Buchla, EMS & Serge”