Looking for Suggestions

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Kodek3301
Learning to Wiggle

Looking for Suggestions

Post by Kodek3301 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:48 pm

Hello my fellow friends of culture and holy bleepybloop,

since i got a lil bit more time to spare because of the current circumstances, im looking for some new modules (GAS slowly intensifies)
My Problem atm is that i like synths a little bit too much, so i kinda enjoy every sort of module and i dont feel that something is missing my rack right now, so im more interessted in stuff that triggered this curriosity/exploration type of feel in you guys.

Sorry if that Question is too unspecific, im just curious what you guys enjoy right now to get some new ideas :hihi:

Current Setup:
MI Plaits
MI Clouds
MI Veils
MI Ripples
Antumbra Atom
Dreadbox Drips v2
Dreadbox Dystopia
Dreadbox Nostalgia
Erica Synths Black Hole DSP 1
Pico Drums & Trigger
Make Noise Maths,
Befaco Muxlicer
Disting Mk4
uO_c
Minibrute 2s
Drumbrute Impact
Moog Dfam
Beatstep Pro
Bunch of Doepfer VCA's, Mults, Mixer and so on

windchill
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Looking for Suggestions

Post by windchill » Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:35 pm

Everyone's goals are different so this suggestion may not work for you but looking at what you currently have I'd recommend getting a really nice, analogue complex VCO, something with serious character that would contrast with the Plaits and the Atom: a Verbos Complex Oscillator or Make Noise DPO perhaps. Other powerful options, though perhaps with slightly less obvious character, might be an Instruo cs-l, or an Intellijel Rubicon 2.

Agawell
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Agawell » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:09 pm

i'd try a matrix mixer, if you don't already have one

maybe a link to you rack on modulargrid would be useful
Instagram

Utility modules are the inexpensive, dull polish that makes the expensive, shiny modules actually shine - and stops them tarnishing too!!!

NeolithicElectrophones
Common Wiggler

Post by NeolithicElectrophones » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:47 pm

I'd recommend any of the more chaotic signal modules from NLC. Spasm, Hypster, hyperchaos deluxe. They're great modulators, but at audio rates they are incredible signals to feed into the resonator input on atom or through clouds etc...

For sonic exploration, I recently built a couple dispersion delays from NLC and boy do those create textures I haven't found in anything else. Giant bono is also ridiculous and fun with lots of nuance hidden behind its settings.

If you enjoy MI, have you thought about a Warps? Stock firmware is lovely, but with parasites there's a huge amount to explore and for a clean tape delay emulation its my favorite module.

Kodek3301
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Kodek3301 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:50 pm

Thanks alot for your replies!

@windchill
Yeah im absolutly aware of that, thats why im looking more for a kind of "inspiration", see stuff from a different persepctive etc.
Oh i was eyeing with the DPO for quite some time several months ago but somehow forgot about it, thanks for bringing that up!
I'll definitely check the other options out too, just curious, what would be your favorite?

@Agawell
I've to be honest, i never took a look into Matrix Mixers, started my Eurorack Journey only about 2 years ago, so i consider myself still quite inexperienced tho im spending an unhealthy amount of time with my rack :hyper:
Is there a certain Mixer you would recommend?

Oh yeah sure, sorry about that, my page was kinda messy, cleaned it up and put everything into one rack

Here you go:
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1074457

Beside that there's also a Minibrute 2s, Beatstep Pro, Keystep and a external Mixer which i only use for the rack

Kodek3301
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Kodek3301 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:11 pm

@NeolithicElectrophones
Oh man i never read about NLC before, damn those thingies look incredibly fun! Will definitely take a closer look on their module list, thanks for the input!

I actually almost shot a cheap Warps a few weeks ago but someone was a little bit faster than me, but MI Stuff is quite common here on the second hand market so ill surely grab one sooner or later :mrgreen:

Agawell
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Agawell » Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:38 am

Kodek3301 wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:50 pm

@Agawell
I've to be honest, i never took a look into Matrix Mixers, started my Eurorack Journey only about 2 years ago, so i consider myself still quite inexperienced tho im spending an unhealthy amount of time with my rack :hyper:
Is there a certain Mixer you would recommend?
they are pretty basic modules really - so any - if you fancy some easy DIY York Modular or AISynthesis - otherwise just find a smallish/cheaper one - they can get big - fyi an interesting thing to do is route one of the outputs back into one of the inputs
Instagram

Utility modules are the inexpensive, dull polish that makes the expensive, shiny modules actually shine - and stops them tarnishing too!!!

Kodek3301
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Kodek3301 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:23 pm

@Agawell
I surely saw them while browsing modules, but never digged into the possibilities mixing cv signals etc. still a lil bit biased from regular synhts
Great! So its perfectly fine to go with a Doepfer A-138m? Space isnt really a Problem
Im guessing, it behaves kinda like the good ol' headphones into ext-in trick?

@all
After spending the last few nights without sleep, reading alot about your options/suggestions i finally made a decision, i'll go with a Cs-L, Hypster and Doepfer a-138m.
Thanks a lot for helping me out guys!

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:54 pm

Besides Maths, what are you using there for modulation? I see a ton of things that need movement.

Intellijel Quadra - 4 simple envelopes or LFO's - 12HP
DOEPFER A-145-4 quad LFO - 4HP
Frequency Central ADSR SYSX or CEM - 4HP
EMW Triple Triangle LFO - 6HP
FS: SP-555 Sampler, Pedals, ASol SQ8 - CHEAP!!!
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... 4&t=227738
WTT: my Mangler for your Rumour

Kodek3301
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Kodek3301 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:18 am

MindMachine wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:54 pm
Besides Maths, what are you using there for modulation? I see a ton of things that need movement.
Quite alot actually, running hemisphere on the o_C which i use mainly as an adsr and lfo, same with the disting
Enjoying the minibrute2s too, as a modulation source, 2 LFOs (3 if you switch the second OSC to LFO Mode) , 1 ADSR, 1 AD with loop mode and 2 independent 64step sequencer tracks which you can use as Lfos, Env, Gate etc

But still a cool input cause im playing with the thought replacing the o_c and disting for those 2 functions for something more playable/less menu divy and just took a look at the Quadra sucessor, will grab one of those in the near future too i guess :mrgreen:

foliephonics
Common Wiggler

Post by foliephonics » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:15 am

How about some chaos ? A Triple Sloth for instance.
Nothing to wiggle but so much modulation !

Kodek3301
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Kodek3301 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:25 pm

foliephonics wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:15 am
How about some chaos ? A Triple Sloth for instance.
Nothing to wiggle but so much modulation !
NeolithicElectrophones also recommended me some NLC stuff, i'll definitely grab some of those as soon as life is back to normal, not sure how good importing stuff from the US works right now :D

NeolithicElectrophones
Common Wiggler

Post by NeolithicElectrophones » Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:37 pm

Not getting notifications on this for some reason.

Cool to see you settled on some NlC. The Hypster is fantastic, you will not regret it!

If you join the Nonlinear circuits builders guild on facebook, there are a number of great builders in Europe that most likely have things stocked and should offer a quick turnaround at a fair price. Very chill and helpful community on there as well, plus you get nice updates on new designs from the man himself, Andrew F.

Glad I could help. Happy music making and wishing you the best in these tough times!

Kodek3301
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Kodek3301 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:29 pm

NeolithicElectrophones wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:37 pm
If you join the Nonlinear circuits builders guild on facebook
Yeah checked out some vids on YT, definitely a module where i can space out easily, what are your thoughts on the tripple sloth foliephonics mentioned? Looks pretty cool too especially for generative stuff i guess and it would free up maths a bit for those super slow cv's ( and most importantly i would be still in budget if i take a second NLC module :mrgreen: )

Ahh nice! Thanks for that! Was only checking out reverb, importing modules from there worked flawlessly everytime, its just the custom offices in austria which can be a huge pain in the a** from time to time, Atom for example was kept there for like 4 weeks, so , if possible, i prefer ordering modules in the EU

Thank you, same to you! Luckily im not that affected by the chaos, my social quarantine already began when i bought the minibrute2s :hyper:

NeolithicElectrophones
Common Wiggler

Post by NeolithicElectrophones » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:03 pm

Customs are a drag here In California, can't imagine from the horror stories I've heard how it is there.

Regarding Sloths:
I've owned four and ended up trading with friends until I kept one. Not due to dislike as much as not using them. Truly, one for me is enough.

As Foliephonics said, they offer a huge amount of modulation possibility but minimal hands on control.

Build wise I would go for the 8hp sloths and a passive 2-4hp attenuator to allow more control with the rest of your system.

If you want slow and evolving soundscapes the sloths with additional attenuation allows for it. It's one of the few modules that I've interacted with that made me say "crap I should just sit back and enjoy this" . No wiggling needed.
There aren't a lot of modules that approach the nonlinearity of natural systems but I think sloths does it extremely well. Giving time to appreciate, think, imagine etc...
Thought this was a limitation at first but it has really made some of my more ambient patches require concentration in the initial patch which carried over to non ambient and live jam settings, so very rewarding over time.

Final recommendation is that if you do get one, record as much as you can, Chua attractor based CV circuits are wonderful and unpredictable, mostly great but sometimes mindblowing.

Kodek3301
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Kodek3301 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:50 am

Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:03 pm
Final recommendation is that if you do get one, record as much as you can, Chua attractor based CV circuits are wonderful and unpredictable, mostly great but sometimes mindblowing.
Great thats excactly the vibe i got from it! Already have 2 Doepfer A-183-1 and some stuff to feed the module, should be good to go
Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:03 pm
Thought this was a limitation at first but it has really made some of my more ambient patches require concentration in the initial patch which carried over to non ambient and live jam settings, so very rewarding over time.
I exactly know what you mean, grabbed myself an ether v2 recently (wild littly thingy), running the recordings thru 2 filters and clouds leads to some very interessting ambient soundscapes and with a little bit of work and Dfam-magic it morphs, most of the time, into some funky little jams :mrgreen:
Now im really curious how ether would sound in combintation with the tripple sloth haha

Return to “Eurorack Modules”