Xaoc Odessa, 1975 Variable Spectrum Harmonic Cluster VCO

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

autopoiesis
Ultra Wiggler

Re: Xaoc Odessa, 1975 Variable Spectrum Harmonic Cluster VCO

Post by autopoiesis » Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:55 pm

ferran wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:05 pm
Thank you, I was confused :bang: , after seeing some Odessa and Elements videos, for my needs clearly more interested in Elements. I've got a lot of VCOs capable of Odessa tricks.
curious: which VCOs are those?

Fog Door
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Fog Door » Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:08 pm

curious: which VCOs are those?
I'm also curious, particularly if they are in less HP. But I'm not holding my breath :lol:

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:16 am

Klavis Twin Wave has seven sines based addative algorithms for odd, even or both. Two at the same time in 8hp.

Odessa has quite a bit more control and a few more harmonics partials though. ;)
My first modular track where I used drum modules! There's also a ton of FM cross modulation from the Instruō Cš-L in there and the Metasonix R56 is a big part of the sound. :star:

We also just did a live performance. Just eurorack, a mixer and two nitwits. :hyper: http://tiny.cc/8ndspz

nikop
Learning to Wiggle

Post by nikop » Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:47 am

synonymist wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:48 am
nikop wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:01 am
This is one of the few decent demos out there. It seems to me that many people don't really know how to make this module sound interesting
Why would they? The Odessa module is only about 20 minutes old, and its functionality is unprecedented in the eurorack domain.

Good things are worth waiting for. And discovery is at least half the fun.

EDIT: Why not buy one, then demonstrate for us how it should be made to sound interesting?
Good point. I already have one... I definitely have fun with it.. so maybe i will. Didn't mean to sound as a wise guy. I believe there are many ways to make it sound interesting, I just start to realise that it is easy to get carried away. You really don't need all that partials for everything.

Fog Door
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Fog Door » Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:31 am

Klavis Twin Wave has seven sines based addative algorithms for odd, even or both. Two at the same time in 8hp

Thanks for the heads up, I have never actually looked at Twin Waves too closely because it is already a definite on my list :lol: . I think Odessa looks really interesting but HP wise it would be a bit of a luxury for me atm, might have to wait for some hypothetical future case :hihi:

joey
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by joey » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:53 am

odessa doing work here:

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:28 am

Odessa melody in this clip. Mainly a rather simple sinewave with some really bright but rather subtle overtones adorning the sound now and then.

My first modular track where I used drum modules! There's also a ton of FM cross modulation from the Instruō Cš-L in there and the Metasonix R56 is a big part of the sound. :star:

We also just did a live performance. Just eurorack, a mixer and two nitwits. :hyper: http://tiny.cc/8ndspz

twistedneck
Common Wiggler

Post by twistedneck » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:25 am

Sinamsis wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:55 pm
twistedneck wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:38 am
I would love a utopia where nothing ever seemed the least bit annoying but reality is XAOC as a great company knows this and is cracking up about it - they will when they see fit make an update if and when they want to - no issues with that at all. but who knows we just may brow beat them into it by buying enough of these babys.
Yeah... or they'll show integrity and tell people with this attitude to fuck off. I know I would/do. Good customer service does not including conceding to every unreasonable request.

autopoiesis's critique is valid and several have voiced this. However, it is a design choice and the maker has explained that and he stood by it. Seems like the issue's resolved.
I love how you are confusing integrity with lack of debate. Nice try straw man, whats coming out is your sad inability to handle the slightest criticism without resorting to 'fuck off'.. then you throw out loaded words like conceding and unreasonable. my my some very thin skin there.

Be Sandy?
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Be Sandy? » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:42 pm

twistedneck wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:25 am
...I love how you are confusing integrity with lack of debate. Nice try straw man, whats coming out is your sad inability to handle the slightest criticism without resorting to 'fuck off'.. then you throw out loaded words like conceding and unreasonable. my my some very thin skin there.
If this debate really has to continue it does so via PM please, not in this thread.
It's fine to critique an argument but when it comes along with assertions about the character of the person making the argument it's getting off topic at best.

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:38 pm

twistedneck wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:25 am
Sinamsis wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:55 pm
twistedneck wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:38 am
I would love a utopia where nothing ever seemed the least bit annoying but reality is XAOC as a great company knows this and is cracking up about it - they will when they see fit make an update if and when they want to - no issues with that at all. but who knows we just may brow beat them into it by buying enough of these babys.
Yeah... or they'll show integrity and tell people with this attitude to fuck off. I know I would/do. Good customer service does not including conceding to every unreasonable request.

autopoiesis's critique is valid and several have voiced this. However, it is a design choice and the maker has explained that and he stood by it. Seems like the issue's resolved.
I love how you are confusing integrity with lack of debate. Nice try straw man, whats coming out is your sad inability to handle the slightest criticism without resorting to 'fuck off'.. then you throw out loaded words like conceding and unreasonable. my my some very thin skin there.

LOL.

There is no debate to be had. I thought that was clear, and is the point of the issue. He said it’s not going to happen. I won’t comment further on that and certainly don’t bother PMing me.

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:34 pm

Spent a little more time with Odessa (seems like I have plenty of that these days haha). I explored some ambient swells using Zadar for complex envelopes, Tallin, Sinfonion's chord output into Hel, and then a RML EFC, Magneto and Erbe Verb at the end of the chain, all processed through Analog Heat (because I can never get enough dirt). The timbral variety from Odessa with subtle changes never ceases to amaze me, and reminds me I have so much to uncover. Also I'm blow away by Zadar even when using it's most basic functions. It is a work of art. Now I need to delve into the Drezno/Jena/Lipsk.

Thoow
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Thoow » Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:44 am

Spend the last days reading all 26 pages of this thread. Waiting for my Odessa to arrive.
Yesterday it finally joined the rack. And it is amazing. Still I have to figure out, what to do with this beast.
Can we share some patch ideas?

I used a the Eleoquencer to send random and quantized CV information to Pitch/CV. Odd an even outputs go into both sections of the 2hp VCA. I drive the CV with ADSR from the Distink. VCA out goes then into Typhoon (Clouds).Paired with some drums and a 2HP pluck, this sounds pretty cool.

Thoow
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Thoow » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:41 am

After a couple of days playing with Odessa I was disappointed. It was hard to get some meaningful tunes out of this beast. It sounds great, but is hard to tame. So I tought, I give the HEL expander a try and see if that makes a difference - or send both back.

And boy, what a differences this makes. Sending additional quantized pitch information (1,3 or 5 voices) to Odessa now allows me to play it musically and to get some amazing sounds out of it. I made a quick video with my first patch and some information about the setup I used.

DynamicTechBass
Learning to Wiggle

Post by DynamicTechBass » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:07 am

My first Odessa Video

Modular is my Life

studioutopia
Common Wiggler

Post by studioutopia » Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:25 pm

Another demonstration.. Odessa's many dynamic parameters lend itself to expression like very few other single oscillators can do.
This recording includes velocity, aftertouch and mod wheel MIDI sources into Odessa like a traditional monosynth voice.
Intellijel Planar 2 XY animation on the Korgasmatron II filters for the Odd and Even partials in stereo adds another dimension.

Here are the patch details:
MIDI-CV from Intellijel µMIDI 1U:
- MIDI Velocity -> Odessa Tilt.
- Modwheel -> Odessa Comb filter warp.
- Velocity + Aftertouch -> Odessa spread - 5-voice mode.
- Gate triggering ZADAR for amp ADSR envelope.
Zadar Q2 looping waveform modulating Odessa comb filter Density.
Odessa Odd and Even partials being sent to Intellijel Korgasmatron II in stereo - LP2 filters with slight offset cutoff, Q and drive settings.
- Intellijel Planar2 XY animation, pre recorded is being applied to the FM1 filter cutoff of both filters.
Final output in stereo with two channels of Intellijel Quad VCA, and recorded live into Ableton Live via Intellijel Mixup.
Beats with Audiothing Latin Percussion, SR-88, and Softube Heartbeat.

black_label
Common Wiggler

Post by black_label » Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:16 am

Odessa owners - what other modules are you finding pair well with Odessa? I’m reading a lot of Zadar for modulation going. Filters? VCAs? Other?

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:49 am

black_label wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:16 am
Odessa owners - what other modules are you finding pair well with Odessa? I’m reading a lot of Zadar for modulation going. Filters? VCAs? Other?
Um, all of the modules I would pair with any VCO (VCAs, VCFs, envelopes, LFOs) plus some extra attenuators since careful modulation is key with Odessa.

studioutopia
Common Wiggler

Post by studioutopia » Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:35 am

lisa wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:49 am
black_label wrote:
Um, all of the modules I would pair with any VCO (VCAs, VCFs, envelopes, LFOs) plus some extra attenuators since careful modulation is key with Odessa.
Totally agree. Attenuators are key - particularly when modulating Bank, Harmonic Factor, Spectral Tilt, Peaking, Spread, Tension and Partials. These do not have an attenuator on the module, and you would miss some very beautiful soundscapes that occur in mV sweeps.
ZADAR is perfect with Odessa.
I'm also really enjoying taming the wide-open full partials and spectral tilt - which gives abrasive and bell-like tones - with dual/stereo filters. I have QPAS and Korgasmatron II - and both of them pair extremely well with the odd/even outputs. Unlike a lot of VCOs, where you may use distortion or peaking of resonance to add growl/bite - Odessa has a lot of complexity - like a wavefolded complex oscillator does - that allows filters to work their warm, softening magic on.
The other delightful thing to play with is AR envelopes of varying lengths attacking parameters like Tension, Spectral Tilt and Density - which reveal a whole other character in Odessa. Sometimes DX7-like, sometimes like a wall of Minimoogs. While Zadar is best for longer evolving shapes, I'm having a lot of fun driving faster envelopes with layers of Intellijel Quadrax channels with varying rise and fall times.
Yesterday, I was also playing around with using my Pittsburgh Primary VCO as a linear Thru-Zero FM source either direct or through a VCA driven by an AR envelope - beyond the sound, quite an awesome thing to watch on Mordax DATA.
If you think of the complex percussive tones you get with Mutable Elements or Rings, and how they model physical instruments - Odessa takes this in a different direction. Equally complex - but less natural, more otherworldly.
I heard Gabor Lazar's Crisis of Representation 4 a while back, honestly - it is still the most disturbing and unique thing I've heard for as long as I can remember. Although I have no idea what he used (it was before Odessa was around), this is one of the sounds that come to mind when I am experimenting with Odessa. listen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zzk0uqHKMlc

black_label
Common Wiggler

Post by black_label » Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:46 pm

studioutopia wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:35 am
lisa wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:49 am
black_label wrote:
Totally agree. Attenuators are key - particularly when modulating Bank, Harmonic Factor, Spectral Tilt, Peaking, Spread, Tension and Partials. These do not have an attenuator on the module, and you would miss some very beautiful soundscapes that occur in mV sweeps.
ZADAR is perfect with Odessa.
I'm also really enjoying taming the wide-open full partials and spectral tilt - which gives abrasive and bell-like tones - with dual/stereo filters. I have QPAS and Korgasmatron II - and both of them pair extremely well with the odd/even outputs. Unlike a lot of VCOs, where you may use distortion or peaking of resonance to add growl/bite - Odessa has a lot of complexity - like a wavefolded complex oscillator does - that allows filters to work their warm, softening magic on.
The other delightful thing to play with is AR envelopes of varying lengths attacking parameters like Tension, Spectral Tilt and Density - which reveal a whole other character in Odessa. Sometimes DX7-like, sometimes like a wall of Minimoogs. While Zadar is best for longer evolving shapes, I'm having a lot of fun driving faster envelopes with layers of Intellijel Quadrax channels with varying rise and fall times.
Yesterday, I was also playing around with using my Pittsburgh Primary VCO as a linear Thru-Zero FM source either direct or through a VCA driven by an AR envelope - beyond the sound, quite an awesome thing to watch on Mordax DATA.
If you think of the complex percussive tones you get with Mutable Elements or Rings, and how they model physical instruments - Odessa takes this in a different direction. Equally complex - but less natural, more otherworldly.
I heard Gabor Lazar's Crisis of Representation 4 a while back, honestly - it is still the most disturbing and unique thing I've heard for as long as I can remember. Although I have no idea what he used (it was before Odessa was around), this is one of the sounds that come to mind when I am experimenting with Odessa. listen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zzk0uqHKMlc
Thanks! That helps. I'm still getting my head around Odessa and trying to figure out how it'll integrate into the setup I currently have or if there are a few things that I'll need at the same time to. It's sounding like my Quadratt probably won't be enough attenuators by itself.

How are you using the 3 outputs? If you weren't sending them into a stereo filter, how would you route them?

studioutopia
Common Wiggler

Post by studioutopia » Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:59 pm

black_label wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:46 pm
How are you using the 3 outputs? If you weren't sending them into a stereo filter, how would you route them?
I haven't used the fundamental other than as a tuning reference. I have been using Odd as Left, and Even as Right, and pass that into a stereo filter - by offsetting the Bank and Harmonic Factor you can create a form of stereo image. It creates interesting phasing/comb filtering effects - like a giant bed of sound to lay down more focused and abrasive voices on top of.

kesserich
Common Wiggler

Post by kesserich » Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:16 pm

studioutopia wrote:
Gabor Lazar does a tremendous job with additive synthesis. I assume in his case he's just NI razor or lazerbass.
When i saw the Odessa announced, I became excited largely because of the shit Lazar has been doing, but after listening to countless demos, i haven't heard much similarity. Is that because most people seem to avoid using Odessa as a bass? Or does Odessa just sound nothing like those Gabor Lazar records?

autopoiesis
Ultra Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:44 pm

Odessa can easily produce all the Crisis of Representation timbres. I think your ears are being fooled by Lazar's signature amplitude modulation patterns.

studioutopia
Common Wiggler

Post by studioutopia » Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:56 pm

kesserich wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:16 pm
studioutopia wrote:
Gabor Lazar does a tremendous job with additive synthesis. I assume in his case he's just NI razor or lazerbass.
When i saw the Odessa announced, I became excited largely because of the shit Lazar has been doing, but after listening to countless demos, i haven't heard much similarity. Is that because most people seem to avoid using Odessa as a bass? Or does Odessa just sound nothing like those Gabor Lazar records?
You're right - I haven't heard much demos that show off the "sine waves that shake your ribs" part of Odessa.
I can't remember seeing any that really demonstrate Odessa's LOW END. Even everything I've recorded so far hasn't really done that... but it's there. I've put together a couple patches in the last week that make my brick walls vibrate. If I could get the envelopes set up right, it would be a dead ringer for "Crisis of Representation 4".. pardon the lousy pun. I found its all in how you apply accurately attenuated AR envelopes against Tension mostly, as well as Spectral Tilt to pull back those glistening upper partials.

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:36 pm

Just received my Odessa today. I bought it mainly inspired by my love of SND, Mark Fell and Gabor Lazar.

I can hear those tones In it for sure, but it’s going to take a bunch of modulation, VCAs and envelopes to get there.
Current system:
http://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/5549

FS/T: Modules/Google Case/Grayscale Panels.
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=229687

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:40 pm

I kind of hate to piss on anyone's parade, I'm sure that Odessa is a wonderful module in the right hands - but just for the sake of balance, I'd like to say that ... it might not be for you. I certainly didn't gel with mine, had it for a few months before deciding it wasn't for me. It had a few sweet spots, but there was just way too much "dead space" in it, in my opinion, areas where it didn't make any sound at all (I know this is the way it's supposed to behave), or where the sound just wasn't particularly interesting - but these of course are just preferences. I had doubts before getting it, but decided to give it a try anyhow.

Anyways, just my five cents. Looking forward to hearing more of what you guys get out of it - I've heard it make sounds I didn't manage to coax out of it, so I'm sure it's great in the hands of someone who knows what they're doing or what they're looking for. :)

Return to “Eurorack Modules”