Band pass vs filter banks

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Band pass vs filter banks

Post by dooj88 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:52 pm

i like having the ability to isolate frequencies of drones and emphasizing/isolating them to clean up a mix. what are the practical differences between having a few band pass filters and a filter bank with say 8 frequencies? for practicality, let's compare addac's triple bandpass (using 3 on one sound source) vs their filter filter bank module.

ignoring the ability to control individual resonance, i can see saying the bandpass is more versatile in being able choose (tune) which bands you want to emphasize vs the preselected frequencies of a filter bank.. is that about all? or am i missing something else in my application above?

ndkent
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Band pass vs filter banks

Post by ndkent » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:50 pm

Yeah, basically a few bandpass filters with more more parameters will cost more per band and probably takes up more real estate but is more flexible per band. After all a parametric EQ is sort of 3 or 4 bandpass filters with boost or cut.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:28 pm

You should have a look at the AJH Synth Fixed Filter Bank 914 it's perfect for drones in my opinion.

thelowerrhythm
Common Wiggler

Post by thelowerrhythm » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:55 pm

I work primarily with drone and use a lot of bandpass filters and filterbanks. For me they don't really do the same job. If I wanted to sculpt the entirety of a sound I'd use a filterbank, but if I wanted to snag parts of it and do so with precision, I'd reach for a dedicated bandpass. Like it was said above, there's a huge difference in flexibility. Sometimes you want it, sometimes you don't.
:party:

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”