Ways of using Fourses Module?

home of post-70s electronics

Moderators: Kent, bartlebooth

tenshun
Wiggling with Experience

Ways of using Fourses Module?

Post by tenshun » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:34 pm

Hi,
i just picked up a Fourses module to go along with my other Mobenthey modules.
i was just wondering what are some of the ways you are incorporating it with the other modules?

So far i have been mostly using it as a modulation source with the capacitor switches set to the lowest setting. frotm there i am sending the differnent outputs to other Mobenthey line.

ookrsia
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Ways of using Fourses Module?

Post by ookrsia » Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:24 am

I'm interested in any answers, as well. Just recently got a set of IFM modules, Fourses included. Still havent had time to get into it really.

Based on a quick read the whole concept of the Bounds/Bounce seems quite hard to understand, meaning in what way in reality it actually effects the oscillators. This might be somethign that is very obvious after you've just done some tests, but I was kinda sad to realize there's so little information about IFM modules in the world, and even in this forum.

numan7
the most autistic amongst us

Post by numan7 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:04 pm

there is (or at least has been) a history-of-fourses document somewhere on the ciat-lonbarde web that goes into the the evolution and the variations of the concept (arp-type, serge-type, tarp-serge-type, etc). you might find it a bit idiosyncratic (like much of the cl universe), but it's all good (imho).

now as you might be aware, the eurorack version lacks the "interspezal sexon" portion of the full/classic instruments which handled the coupling of electrical currents from the interface surfaces (usually constellations of brass screws in wood panels, called "sandrodes", patched with test-lead cables and capable of being modulated by touch) to the circuits.... you can attempt to simulate the missing behavior by modulating the top two cells with the output of the bottom two cells patched through a dual sample-and-hold module (or quad if you've got a pair)... and then maybe patch the outputs from the top cells to the audio and cv inputs of a low-pass (or band-pass) filter (or something like that)... and maybe find a way to couple to a touch surface (like intellijel tetrapad, for example)... like gate-outs to s/h trigger ins, pitch-cv outs to bottom/lower fourses cells cv-ins, pressure out to cv-amount of (or vca cv in front of) lpf/bpf, etc.... it's actually very nice to have pair (of fourses) if this ('interspezal sexon simulation') is something you're attempting to do.

and besides that, fourses can act as a quad-oscillator that can exhibit interesting and/or chaotic behaviors in complex patches (if you're into those sorts of things) - i'm admittedly not always completely pleased with the sounds mine make, but i nonetheless almost always find them interesting (sometimes modular synthesis is more akin to wrestling or karate for me than it is music listening - and i find fourses to be a true kung-fu fighter in that regard).

cheers
"well keep your eyes on the road, your hands upon the wheel..." :driving:

numan7
the most autistic amongst us

Post by numan7 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:16 am

:roll: you know, that seems like a rather superficial way of describing things....

:hmm: so let's try this again...
yes it has four oscillators inside, but you also get to modulate each of the "perspex tube" boundary voltage levels between the adjacent oscillators (...so in a way it could be thought of as having eight waveshapers).

and then you get two outputs per oscillator (one of the hallmarks of the ciat lonbarde instrument design philosophy, btw - i think PB calls it the verso-inverso principle... or maybe it's the other way around - then again, that concept might be more about the touch interfaces such as are found on the tet/sid organus family of instruments - i forget and should go read up on that stuff again...) that are related in frequency but also subject to what is going on at each of the boundaries.

in practice i find it a useful metaphor to think of fourses as a physical model of some spongy or elastic solid material, moreso than as a quad oscillator with waveshapers (or whatever). and i believe this viewpoint came about from reading one or the other of PB's CL articles (but again it's been a while, and i should revisit all that stuff sometime).

at the moment, one of my fourses is interpatched with a eurorack wogglebug (smooth/stepped, random) and a maths (slew limiter and cv processing) module that are in turn controlling and influencing a bunch of other modules. this patch had already been set up for a number days and had kind of run its course and was starting to seem dull. adding fourses breathed new life into the patch and made it more interesting (to me at least).

let's see... it's nothing very complicated (yet at least) - the wogglebug's 'woggle cv' output is modulating fourses lower bound 2, while fourses low/inverso(?) bounce output 3 is patched into the wogglebug's sample/hold input (and this used to generate the wogglebug's stepped output which in turn is patched into a quantizer that is patched into various pitch-cv inputs and so on). the fourses range switches are set at low-high-low-low (for 1-4). maths channel-1 end-of-rise output is patched into the wogglebug's clock input. at this point i'm thinking of patching another of the fourses bounce outputs into one of the maths inputs (and maths outputs to bounds inputs, etc.). we'll see where it all goes tomorrow...

anyways i hope that's somewhat helpful and that you have fun with your fourses!

cheers
"well keep your eyes on the road, your hands upon the wheel..." :driving:

jimmie
Veteran Wiggler

Post by jimmie » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:32 am

thanks for interesting read. please keep coming!

Return to “Ciat-Lonbarde”