Eurorack Rhythm Bank

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

purple_elk
Learning to Wiggle

Eurorack Rhythm Bank

Post by purple_elk » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:28 am

Hello all,
I am looking for a module which contains a wealth of world rhythms programmed into it. Bonus points if I can change the length of the patterns to create polyrhythms.
What do people recommend? I already have grids, btw, and I'm more looking for additional percussion parts.

Thanks in advance

Wjbratcher
Common Wiggler

Re: Eurorack Rhythm Bank

Post by Wjbratcher » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:40 am

http://www.noiseengineering.us/zularic-repetitor

Isn’t that it?

Wish I had one, but I don’t have any room right now

purple_elk
Learning to Wiggle

Post by purple_elk » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:23 am

Ah yes, I remember now.

Cheers!

Multi Grooves
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Multi Grooves » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:36 am

purple_elk wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:28 am
Hello all,
I am looking for a module which contains a wealth of world rhythms programmed into it. Bonus points if I can change the length of the patterns to create polyrhythms.
What do people recommend? I already have grids, btw, and I'm more looking for additional percussion parts.

Thanks in advance
World sounds are characterised by the 2004 works of Godfried Toussaint; you're essentially looking for Euclidean pattern generators.
My personal favourite and best built/laid out in eurorack is ADDAC 402. It's (x4) channels with individual controls for all the important features. I found other eurorack modules with the euclid patterns were not so accessible [Bastl, Little Nerd] or they had a single knob doing everything which just isn't immediate enough [ALM, Pam Workout]. The 402 does way more than just Euclid, so it is a module that will keep you interested for a long time. This is why they rarely come up in classifieds.
...but Cynthia, my Daddy never had a heath kit..

Multi Grooves
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Multi Grooves » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:38 am

Alternatively you could look at the Iron Ether's Pithoprakta. I've not used it much but you need a few sources to make good use of it. Once mastered it is special.
...but Cynthia, my Daddy never had a heath kit..

purple_elk
Learning to Wiggle

Post by purple_elk » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:01 pm

I have a 2hp euclid, and Pamela's new workout. Both great, and I use them all the time. However many, many world rhythms fall outside of the euclidean algorithm

Arneb
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Arneb » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:29 pm

There are also some options aiming for a middle ground between Euclid's limitations and Zularic's intransigence you might want to consider. Starling VIA Gateseq, Shakmat Knight's Gallop and its twin White Gallop, even Mutable Grids though it's not really a "bank".

10 Miles High
Common Wiggler

Post by 10 Miles High » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:17 pm

Grids ?

10 Mh

purple_elk
Learning to Wiggle

Post by purple_elk » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:13 pm

Thanks, I mentioned in my original post that I already have grids, and in looking for stuff for percussion parts to add to the basic kick, snare, hats parts that grids does so well

DeltaTucanae
Common Wiggler

Post by DeltaTucanae » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:50 pm

kwaidan
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by kwaidan » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:58 pm

Another option is to find percussion books or conduct an Internet search on common world rhythmic patterns and simply program them into a sequencer.

Godfried Toussaint‘s book is a good start, but his writing can easily get far too esoteric. One thing he notes is that certain rhythmic patterns are more valued than others, and that some common patterns are often valued by different cultures around the world. The Zularic Repeater borrowed patterns from this book; however, you can find other books which cover the same and similar pattens.

Wikipedia has entries for various African-Cuban rhythmic patterns. Try running search for the clav.

On the cheap end, you can enter patterns into an iPad sequencer like Patterning 2. It has preset memory and MIDI.

With Euro, you can use a sequencer like the WMD Metron that has plenty of memory to store patterns, or find something more cost friendly, like Intellijel Steppy, with limited memory.

Aaronautical001
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Aaronautical001 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:29 am

I’d agree with the points above about doing some reading about Euclidean rhythms. IMO an important aspect sometimes missing in some modules is the ability to rotate the pattern. Euclidean circles can do this and change length as well as many more things. It really is an excellent and highly intuitive module for these purposes.

purple_elk
Learning to Wiggle

Post by purple_elk » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:36 am

The 2hp euclid can rotate, and change length. I play caixa in a samba band so I know some of the patterns from Brazil and African. Some are euclidean, many are not

MarcelP
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by MarcelP » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:34 am

Might want to look into Qu-Bit pulsar as well. It is quite flexible and has cv options. I use that and the Zularic driving into the Confundo Funkitus which can “cross fade” between the two. Hours of twiddly rhythmic fun to be had there!

bodo
Veteran Wiggler

Post by bodo » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:44 am

The temps utile is another option, it has six outputs and can yeild a vast array of interesting patterns, not in the least because of its internal Logic fuctions, and all under cv control!

wavejockey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wavejockey » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:59 am

concerning copying patterns from books : the manuals for ROLAND TR (preset) rhytm boxes have great classic grooves

Return to “Eurorack Modules”