Oakley Classic VCA demo

Discussion and support for users and builders of Oakley Sound musical products.

Moderators: Kent, Synthbuilder

BWBKc6VyUr
Learning to Wiggle

Oakley Classic VCA demo

Post by BWBKc6VyUr » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:57 am

Hi, is there an audio or video demo of the Oakley Classic VCA available somewhere ?
(Preferably of the eurorack build, if it sounds significantly different.)

Synthbuilder
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Oakley Classic VCA demo

Post by Synthbuilder » Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:08 am

BWBKc6VyUr wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:57 am
is there an audio or video demo of the Oakley Classic VCA available somewhere ?
Not that I know of.

Although all the Eurorack audio demos on the site use the new version of the Classic VCA as the final envelope shaping VCA.

I did think about doing some specific VCA demos but it doesn't have its own sound as such since it's just a clean VCA. There is some overdrive behaviour when you hit the audio inputs really hard but it's pretty subtle and you'd probably not hear that from an mp3. However, if I get chance I see if I can make some samples of this.

The nice thing about it is that the linear control is mode is just that. It turns down the gain very smoothly even as it descends into the noise floor. The 2164 based VCAs tend to have sharp edge at very low attenuations and abruptly go from a low volume to absolute silence. Again, you'd be hard pressed to hear this behaviour with any mp3, or even wav, unless you are looking for it.

Tony

BWBKc6VyUr
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Oakley Classic VCA demo

Post by BWBKc6VyUr » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:06 am

That's a great description, thanks! I'll go listen to the VCA on your other demos with that in mind, but it would be great to get to hear specifically what you described so keep me posted if you get round to making Classic VCA-centric demos.

Return to “Oakley Sound Systems”