Modular Synth Basics! Cases, power, modules, CV?! Come in :)

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

Post Reply
Tim010
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:24 am
Location: Rotterdam

Post by Tim010 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:22 am

:tu:

User avatar
defalut
Common Wiggler
Posts: 235
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:26 am
Location: Sweden

How to make a note "hold" when using external sequ

Post by defalut » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:47 pm

Edit. Never mind then..

sterio
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:38 am
Location: France

Post by sterio » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:53 am

Hello ! I'm new around here, and want to start getting into modular. However, I have one question for you guys: I'm currently choosing a power supply and case.

A popular choice is the Happy Ending kit by Tip Top Audio. But when I see the specs, what is the advantage over a Doepfer A-100 LC3 Low Coast Case ? The Doepfer can deliver more power on the -12V rail. On the other side, the Zeus module has +5V rail but it seems that really few modules use +5V. It could also power another row and I would only have to buy the rail, right? What are your thoughts and advices about it?

JoshuaD
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:16 am
Location: Tampa, FL

Post by JoshuaD » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:24 pm

@flx

Thanks for the videos. Really enjoying them as I contemplate beginning my journey into the modular world.

- Joshua

epic_zhukovsky
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat May 25, 2019 6:02 pm

Suggestions for extending Ableton Live/Nord Stage 3 setup

Post by epic_zhukovsky » Sat May 25, 2019 6:21 pm

Hi!

I'm looking to see how Eurorack can expand the capabilities of a setup consisting of a Nord Stage 3, Ableton Live, and Ableton Push 2. I would like to use Ableton Live for sequencing, arranging, recording, and mixing, but other than that I would like to work primarily with physical devices and controls (rather than VSTs).

Here are some of my spontanous goals and interests:
  • Making ambient pads with rich textures (perhaps with something like Mutable Instruments Clouds and 4ms Spectral Multiband Resonator)
  • Working with recorded samples (perhaps with something like Mutable Instruments Ears and Make Noise Morphagene)
  • Making FM/Autechre-like sounds in a hands-on way (perhaps with something like Mutable Instruments Plaits or Akamie's Castle)
My audio interface is a RME Fireface UCX. Since it has ADAT, I'm thinking that Expert Sleepers ES-3 might be a good way of controlling, sequencing, and feeding audio into the rack, through Ableton Live and CV Tools.

Any thoughts about what modules that could work well in my setup would be appreciated.

Also, I'm curious about to what extent, and how, Nord Stage 3 can be used in combination with a Eurorack setup (for instance as a sound source).

Thanks!

epic_zhukovsky
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat May 25, 2019 6:02 pm

ModularGrid sketch and questions

Post by epic_zhukovsky » Sun May 26, 2019 7:08 am

I wanted to expand on my previous post with a concrete ModularGrid sketch, and some specific questions. Any feedback would be appreciated!

Image

Some questions:
  1. Would I need some other module to appropriately control Akemie's Castle (or a module like Mutable Instruments Plaits)?
  2. To what extend does Plaits' FM capability overlap with Akemie's Castle?
  3. Would it make sense to add 4ms Spectral Multiband Resonator to this setup?
  4. How soon will I need Espert Sleepers ES-5 in order to expand the ports on Expert Sleepers ES-3?
  5. What would be an appropriate substitute for Mutable Instrument Clouds (or should I try to find one second hand)?
  6. Is Veils a good choice for a mixer for this setup?
  7. What possibilities would modules like Verbos Electronics Harmonic Oscillator and Mutable Instrument Stages open up in this setup?
  8. Would the sound sources work well by themselves, or would it make sense to add modules like Mutable Instruments Stages?
Brilliant videos, by the way! I learned a lot! :)

User avatar
scanningthemirror
Common Wiggler
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:53 am

Post by scanningthemirror » Fri May 31, 2019 2:54 pm

I really wanted to use an intellijel rainmaker with my guitar
Was thinking of buying a Strymon AA.1, the rainmaker, and Pam's new workout for modulation. Would this be sufficient or do I need other modules?

Scott
Common Wiggler
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:37 pm

Power consumption question

Post by Scott » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:24 pm

Thanks again for the video series. I've learned a lot!

Scott
Common Wiggler
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:37 pm

This can't be correct

Post by Scott » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:56 pm

Hello from Newbie Land. I recently purchased a DIY Clouds unit — already assembled and tested. The -12 was at the top rather than the bottom of the connection "grid." That means the red strip is up rather than down. To get it to plug into the flying bus board correctly — the little notch fitting into the power connector — I have to twist the cable to connect it to the Clouds unit.
So, holding my breath, I did just that and viola, it works. No smoke, lights flash, knobs cause sound to be affected. But IS it right?
Having never used Clouds before I presume it's doing all the correct things, the twisted cord just doesn't make sense to me.
Thoughts anyone?
Thanks in advance,
Scott

Granular
Common Wiggler
Posts: 120
Joined: Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:39 pm
Location: Switzerland (Bern)

Post by Granular » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:15 am

Great Videos for Eurorack Beginners like me :yay:

Thanks for all the good work :guinness:

Arneb
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 586
Joined: Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:50 pm

Re: This can't be correct

Post by Arneb » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:00 am

Scott wrote:Hello from Newbie Land. I recently purchased a DIY Clouds unit — already assembled and tested. The -12 was at the top rather than the bottom of the connection "grid." That means the red strip is up rather than down. To get it to plug into the flying bus board correctly — the little notch fitting into the power connector — I have to twist the cable to connect it to the Clouds unit.
So, holding my breath, I did just that and viola, it works. No smoke, lights flash, knobs cause sound to be affected. But IS it right?
Having never used Clouds before I presume it's doing all the correct things, the twisted cord just doesn't make sense to me.
Thoughts anyone?
Thanks in advance,
Scott
Weird things happen - I was rather surprised to find that connecting VPME's Six Switches expander to Euclidean Circles takes two cables, one with the red stripe up, one with the red stripe down... luckily this particular expander is passive.

While "red stripe down" seems to be what most module makers do, you should always check the PCB and/or the manual. If those are being unclear, contact the maker. If they say red side is up, then red side up it is. A twisted cable is no hazard in itself, it's just annoying.

User avatar
michaeljohnson
Common Wiggler
Posts: 60
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:47 am
Location: Netherlands

Post by michaeljohnson » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:33 pm

Splendid this, great work :hail:
drums check ... one two

fingerfarbensound
Common Wiggler
Posts: 52
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:52 am

Post by fingerfarbensound » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:47 am

This is going to be my first Eurorack system. It's based on the Rackbrute & Minibrute 2S bundle.
The centerpiece is going to be the Nerdseq.

Question: Am I skimping on LFOs & other dedicated modulation sources?
I already have 2 (3) from the Minibrute and I can use the Sequencer of the Minibrute 2S as well as the Nerdseq to generate software ones.

Is it fine?
Thanks! :banana:

Image

fingerfarbensound
Common Wiggler
Posts: 52
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:52 am

Re: ModularGrid sketch and questions

Post by fingerfarbensound » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:59 am

epic_zhukovsky wrote: [*]What would be an appropriate substitute for Mutable Instrument Clouds (or should I try to find one second hand)?
I have ordered the microcell (modulargrid)
You can get it directly from the Manufacturer.

It may be a little packed for your taste but you can get the larger supercell module which is more ergonomic and also has knobs for the randomisation.

User avatar
Stoneyards
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 43
Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:37 pm
Location: Seattle

Post by Stoneyards » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:46 pm

Thanks for the great videos....Totally worth browsing the stickies for this one.

User avatar
mulder
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:31 am
Location: Philly

Re: Modular Synth Basics! Cases, power, modules, CV?! Come in :)

Post by mulder » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:53 pm

Can I ask for advise for my first rack here? I've watched all of the learningmodular.com Intro + Expansion videos on LinkedInLearning (Lynda.com) and started reading the Patch & Tweek book, but I would appreciate some advise.

BustedGuts
1-Post Wiggler
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:49 pm

Re: Modular Synth Basics! Cases, power, modules, CV?! Come in :)

Post by BustedGuts » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:16 am

Just watched the Modular Synths Basics video series, it answered a lot of questions I had - and a few questions I didn't know I had! Thanks for creating such a valuable resource.

User avatar
bbow73
Weteran Viggler
Posts: 289
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:39 pm
Location: Fairfax VA

Re: Modular Synth Basics! Cases, power, modules, CV?! Come in :)

Post by bbow73 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:21 pm

I’ve been having trouble with my old a-100psu. Just upgraded to a 2000ma adapter, a100psu3 with 3 bus boards. It’s plugged into a power strip.

Do I need to wire it’s own on/off switch?
WTB in euro: Oscilloscope - http://g4oep.atspace.com/toycro/toycro.htm

User avatar
Underwood
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 49
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:47 am

Re: Modular Synth Basics! Cases, power, modules, CV?! Come in :)

Post by Underwood » Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:43 am

Noob question regarding busboards: Is the spacing between the mounting holes on busboards somewhat standardized or just totally differrent between manufacturers? I'd like to replace the busboard and PSU of my Rackbrute U6 with something beefier, but i don't really want to drill holes in my case – and i hate flying busboards.

User avatar
flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1382
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:22 pm

Re: Modular Synth Basics! Cases, power, modules, CV?! Come in :)

Post by flx » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:41 am

Underwood wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:43 am
Noob question regarding busboards: Is the spacing between the mounting holes on busboards somewhat standardized or just totally differrent between manufacturers? I'd like to replace the busboard and PSU of my Rackbrute U6 with something beefier, but i don't really want to drill holes in my case – and i hate flying busboards.
I don’t think that there is a standard regarding the mounting holes, but why change the bus boards at all? Normally you just need to change the PSU.
You can also find and contact me here:
tuesdaynightmachines@gmail.com
YouTube
nightmachines.tv

User avatar
Underwood
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 49
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:47 am

Re: Modular Synth Basics! Cases, power, modules, CV?! Come in :)

Post by Underwood » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:16 am

flx wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:41 am
Underwood wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:43 am
Noob question regarding busboards: Is the spacing between the mounting holes on busboards somewhat standardized or just totally differrent between manufacturers? I'd like to replace the busboard and PSU of my Rackbrute U6 with something beefier, but i don't really want to drill holes in my case – and i hate flying busboards.
I don’t think that there is a standard regarding the mounting holes, but why change the bus boards at all? Normally you just need to change the PSU.
Well, i wasn't sure if it could handle something like say konstant labs StrongPWR. It is a passive bus board tho ...

User avatar
flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1382
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:22 pm

Re: Modular Synth Basics! Cases, power, modules, CV?! Come in :)

Post by flx » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:13 pm

Underwood wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:16 am
Well, i wasn't sure if it could handle something like say konstant labs StrongPWR. It is a passive bus board tho ...
Never heard of "active" bus boards, but I'm not that deep into these power esoterics, so maybe there are those. Swapping the PSU should be fine though. Never had any issue with my bus boards and flying cable solutions over the years.
You can also find and contact me here:
tuesdaynightmachines@gmail.com
YouTube
nightmachines.tv

User avatar
luupp
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:04 am
Location: Sweden

Re: ModularGrid sketch and questions

Post by luupp » Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:46 pm

epic_zhukovsky wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 7:08 am
I wanted to expand on my previous post with a concrete ModularGrid sketch, and some specific questions. Any feedback would be appreciated!

Image

Some questions:
  1. Would I need some other module to appropriately control Akemie's Castle (or a module like Mutable Instruments Plaits)?
  2. To what extend does Plaits' FM capability overlap with Akemie's Castle?
  3. Would it make sense to add 4ms Spectral Multiband Resonator to this setup?
  4. How soon will I need Espert Sleepers ES-5 in order to expand the ports on Expert Sleepers ES-3?
  5. What would be an appropriate substitute for Mutable Instrument Clouds (or should I try to find one second hand)?
  6. Is Veils a good choice for a mixer for this setup?
  7. What possibilities would modules like Verbos Electronics Harmonic Oscillator and Mutable Instrument Stages open up in this setup?
  8. Would the sound sources work well by themselves, or would it make sense to add modules like Mutable Instruments Stages?
Brilliant videos, by the way! I learned a lot! :)
1. I don't think you need anything specifically for Akemei's Castle
3. It depends on if you actually want that resonant filter. It doesn't have any technical limitations to add it if that's what you are wondering about
4. Asap, since in this setup you basically dont have any CV sourve/LFO/EG etc.
5. Veils is fine, or Intellijel QuadVCA. Generally 2 VCA per Voice is a good rule of thumb, so as long as you dont add anymore sound sources you should be good
6. Stages a tons, you would get a complex LFO/Seq that you can modulate things like waves, shapes, timbres, open/close filters etc.
Verbos depends on the sound but gotta be careful about not overloading your system with Oscillators
7. Generally you would want some LFO, EG, or depending on what style you are after, some source of randomness like wogglebug or marbles. I assume you would be using this with some sort of midi controller, so that's great you can send triggers and 1v/octs. But I would add some LFO/EG/filters and mixers as well.

User avatar
luupp
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:04 am
Location: Sweden

Re: ModularGrid sketch and questions

Post by luupp » Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:47 pm

luupp wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:46 pm
epic_zhukovsky wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 7:08 am
I wanted to expand on my previous post with a concrete ModularGrid sketch, and some specific questions. Any feedback would be appreciated!

Image

Some questions:
  1. Would I need some other module to appropriately control Akemie's Castle (or a module like Mutable Instruments Plaits)?
  2. To what extend does Plaits' FM capability overlap with Akemie's Castle?
  3. Would it make sense to add 4ms Spectral Multiband Resonator to this setup?
  4. How soon will I need Espert Sleepers ES-5 in order to expand the ports on Expert Sleepers ES-3?
  5. What would be an appropriate substitute for Mutable Instrument Clouds (or should I try to find one second hand)?
  6. Is Veils a good choice for a mixer for this setup?
  7. What possibilities would modules like Verbos Electronics Harmonic Oscillator and Mutable Instrument Stages open up in this setup?
  8. Would the sound sources work well by themselves, or would it make sense to add modules like Mutable Instruments Stages?
Brilliant videos, by the way! I learned a lot! :)
1. I don't think you need anything specifically for Akemei's Castle
3. It depends on if you actually want that resonant filter. It doesn't have any technical limitations to add it if that's what you are wondering about
4. Asap, since in this setup you basically dont have any CV sourve/LFO/EG etc.
5. Veils is fine, or Intellijel QuadVCA. Generally 2 VCA per Voice is a good rule of thumb, so as long as you dont add anymore sound sources you should be good
6. Stages a tons, you would get a complex LFO/Seq that you can modulate things like waves, shapes, timbres, open/close filters etc.
Verbos depends on the sound but gotta be careful about not overloading your system with Oscillators
7. Generally you would want some LFO, EG, or depending on what style you are after, some source of randomness like wogglebug or marbles. I assume you would be using this with some sort of midi controller, so that's great you can send triggers and 1v/octs. But I would add some LFO/EG/filters and mixers as well.
Just saw that I answered a 1 year old post. Whatever
Hope you are doing great bud!

Oktagon
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:24 am

Re: Modular Synth Basics! Cases, power, modules, CV?! Come in :)

Post by Oktagon » Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:27 am

Really enjoyed these videos, thanks a lot!

Post Reply

Return to “Eurorack Modules”