Dreadbox Medusa monosynth

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, lisa, Joe.

Licudi
Ultra Wiggler

Re: Dreadbox Medusa monosynth

Post by Licudi » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:04 am

Gribs wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:23 pm
I thought it was in the current firmware (2.02) but perhaps not.
There's a v2.04 beta out there, which I haven't tried yet. Don’t think there's any wavetable smoothing, but Polyend says it allows 'the Medusa MPE pads to play another instrument and play the internal synth engine with an external controller at the same time.' More 2.04 details in my post upthread.

Licudi
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Licudi » Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:46 am

v3.0 is out. Haven't updated mine yet as I want someone else to be the test subject …
Updates
- Added LFO random wave (the last position).
- Added MIDI Local Off (as a MIDI config option), you can now use the Medusa MPE pads to play another instrument and play the internal synth engine with an external controller at the same time. 
- Both LFOs and envelopes are now able to send out their native values out as CC (set it up from the MIDI config menu).
- Each synth parameter is now displayed with the assigned CC number.
Latest production run also has a tidied-up paintjob.

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Fri May 01, 2020 11:30 pm

new "black limited edition"...so much nicer...
honestly, the original logo is hideous, they should keep this look for the rest of the production time ... it goes better with the whole Polyend vibe
I know it's a collaborative work but Dreadbox products´aesthetics leave a lot to be desired IMHO
Polyend-Medusa-SB-1400x1050-1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave

Post by Voltcontrol » Sat May 02, 2020 1:16 am

anselmi wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 11:30 pm
honestly, the original logo is hideous, they should keep this look for the rest of the production time ... it goes better with the whole Polyend vibe
I know it's a collaborative work but Dreadbox products´aesthetics leave a lot to be desired IMHO

Polyend-Medusa-SB-1400x1050-1.jpg
Also not a fan of the Dreadbox look, it sure is distinctive and I guess preferential to some.
Polyends easthetic though I find very tasty indeed. Looks nearly made me buy a Tracker while features are limited compared to the upcoming NerdSeq Portable.
Last edited by Voltcontrol on Sat May 02, 2020 7:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Gaun Yersel!

Licudi
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Licudi » Sat May 02, 2020 2:21 am

Well, I wish Polyend had put the silver prototype into production.

Fentune
Common Wiggler

Post by Fentune » Sat May 02, 2020 5:47 am

anselmi wrote:
honestly, the original logo is hideous,
Maybe it's you that's hideous? You just think shitting all over the original design is respectful somehow, you twat?

Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave

Post by Voltcontrol » Sat May 02, 2020 6:59 am

Fentune wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 5:47 am
anselmi wrote:
Maybe it's you that's hideous? You just think shitting all over the original design is respectful somehow, you twat?
I find name-calling something for Bumfunglers, it does not suit a Muffwiggler.
Gaun Yersel!

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Sat May 02, 2020 7:01 am

Damn, things are getting heated.
“no matter how fine you grind the dead meat, you’ll not bring it to life again“

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Sat May 02, 2020 8:31 am

anti_troll_spray_by_krilin86_d300klz-fullview.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mrhooks
Common Wiggler

Post by mrhooks » Sat May 02, 2020 1:24 pm

Damn, now this is making me want to buy the Medusa sooner rather than later, even though I need a poly first. This looks way better than the standard version with Dreadbox's signature unnecessarily large synth logo.
WTB: original MI Rings panel
Also looking for someone willing to make a couple small changes to Rings firmware

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Sat May 02, 2020 5:02 pm

mrhooks wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 1:24 pm
Damn, now this is making me want to buy the Medusa sooner rather than later, even though I need a poly first. This looks way better than the standard version with Dreadbox's signature unnecessarily large synth logo.
Also, they kept the discount price anounced some months ago...after this I also started to want one, but the revisited the old videos and also new ones to remember me that I really don´t like the harsh sound that even its analog oscillators have.

Kent
Large Member

Post by Kent » Thu May 21, 2020 4:18 am

Fentune wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 5:47 am
anselmi wrote:

Although we allow and encourage people to portray themselves in the manner that they see fit, posting without much in the way of context and resorting to the childish tactic of name-calling will also serve to ensure that your stay here won't be a long one.

Proceed as you wish.

Roy72
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Roy72 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:53 pm

I have had one for about a week now. It's a lot of fun for what you can get them for now, and the v.2 and 3 firmware seems to address a lot of criticisms and the sounds are great. Hopefully they add a clock divider for the sequencer.

Does anyone know how to do ties?

target_destroyed
Wiggling with Experience

Post by target_destroyed » Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:24 am

anselmi wrote:
Eh, I like some of their aesthetic. The Hades looked really cool, and I like the Nyx, but yeah some of his color choices are... not my fav. That said, the newer Medusa looks a bit too clean for my tastes - almost like a prototype. I think I prefer the original. To each their own though. :despair:

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:28 pm

target_destroyed wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:24 am
anselmi wrote:
Eh, I like some of their aesthetic. The Hades looked really cool, and I like the Nyx, but yeah some of his color choices are... not my fav. That said, the newer Medusa looks a bit too clean for my tastes - almost like a prototype. I think I prefer the original. To each their own though. :despair:
yeah...of course it´s a matter of personal taste...just for this I think any oppinion is valid and they can´t be taken as something absolut

The Junglechrist
Ultra Wiggler

Post by The Junglechrist » Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:53 am

Hey there everyone ! For the curious who don't own the beast, here is a 10 patches demo I did with my friend at Wired Brain !

Stazma The Junglechrist / Repeat Eater: http://stazmathejunglechrist.com/

Electric Voyage Studio [Mastering / Mixing] : http://electricvoyage-studio.com

My label Concrete Collage : https://concretecollage.bandcamp.com/

Wired Brain Video Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCh4pym ... vkKp6ofzVA

unclebastard
Common Wiggler

Post by unclebastard » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:40 am

I have had a Medusa ( Dreadbox logo which, for the record, I like, say no more ) for a couple of weeks. I am exploring it, and I find the combination of sequencer and hybrid synthesiser powerful and expressive. The resonance is easy to overdo, so I generally keep it lowered. Triggering the Abyss is so much fun- I can automate the parameter changes on the Medusa leaving two hands free to tweak the Abyss, and passing it through the Abyss FX adds depth to a sound which needs a bit of spice.
Good deals with: Eremitalf, ben_hex, matttech, Elevator Sound

The Junglechrist
Ultra Wiggler

Post by The Junglechrist » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:45 am

unclebastard wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:40 am
I have had a Medusa ( Dreadbox logo which, for the record, I like, say no more ) for a couple of weeks. I am exploring it, and I find the combination of sequencer and hybrid synthesiser powerful and expressive. The resonance is easy to overdo, so I generally keep it lowered. Triggering the Abyss is so much fun- I can automate the parameter changes on the Medusa leaving two hands free to tweak the Abyss, and passing it through the Abyss FX adds depth to a sound which needs a bit of spice.
I bet the combo with the Abyss must be awesome. I tried it recently and really fell in love with the sound. Hopefully I’ll manage to sneak one second hand when I’ll have some funds again.

Stazma The Junglechrist / Repeat Eater: http://stazmathejunglechrist.com/

Electric Voyage Studio [Mastering / Mixing] : http://electricvoyage-studio.com

My label Concrete Collage : https://concretecollage.bandcamp.com/

Wired Brain Video Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCh4pym ... vkKp6ofzVA

unclebastard
Common Wiggler

Post by unclebastard » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:34 am

I love the Abyss; it makes sounds like no other synth. It's really easy to go overboard with the FX, but if I restrain myself I can make it produce some more conventional sounds. You definitely need both hands free for tweaking it- manual PWM can be had, and the delay is lush.
Good deals with: Eremitalf, ben_hex, matttech, Elevator Sound

skkatter
Veteran Wiggler

Post by skkatter » Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:22 pm

I borrowed one of these from a work colleague last week, firmware V3. The whole concept is appealing but during actual use I found the interface to be very unintuitive and I kept thinking "there's got to be a better shortcut for this" for multiple options. Deleting a note from the grid should be a simple keypress, not a convoluted multi-button and sometimes knob turning also action. (Hopefully I wasn't missing anything obvious, the manual was quite brief)

I naturally compare any grid / button per note synth to the Genoqs Octopus sequencer which has a much better interface than the Medusa despite having no screen.

blipson
Common Wiggler

Post by blipson » Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:28 am

Can the pads be triggered via external controller? In other words, can I set up pads with their own parameters, then trigger each pad individually via external controller and have each pad's set of parameters sound? Looking through the v1 and v2 manuals, I can't find any MIDI assignment to the pads, so it looks like an external controller can only be set up to play one of the six oscillators, depending on channel assignment.

everydaycurry
Common Wiggler

Post by everydaycurry » Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:40 am

Gaz Williams had a brilliant idea for it if they ever did a V2 - stereo and individual oscillator pan. Combine that with drone mode and some weed...

Tajnost
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Tajnost » Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:24 am

Last edited by Tajnost on Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tajnost
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Tajnost » Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:32 am

Last edited by Tajnost on Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tajnost
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Tajnost » Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:33 am

everydaycurry wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:40 am
Gaz Williams had a brilliant idea for it if they ever did a V2 - stereo and individual oscillator pan. Combine that with drone mode and some weed...
Nice idea. Also effects and a bit less brutal sounding filter in v2 could make it a much better instrument.
But I'd better see firmware update for existing Medusa. So many things are still missing (like pattern changing, clock divider etc... )

Also, I can't figure out is there a way to apply negative ENV to filter? At the moment I think it's only positive 0 - 127 with amount pot...

Return to “General Gear”