Make Noise 0-Ctrl

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

kenosis
Common Wiggler

Re: Something new from Make Noise coming?

Post by kenosis » Tue May 05, 2020 3:27 pm

ggillon wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 12:59 pm
Foghorn wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 12:16 pm
How much more do you get here vs. a Rene II?
I realize the Rene is $200 US more, but seems pretty powerful.
I only have a Rene(I) and have not looked at much of what Rene II is capable of due to shrinking pocket syndrome and just plain disappointment at the huge influx of new gear within a year of spending way too much. (much for sale soon, I guess)
Any opinions on Rene II vs. this?

EDIT: "elaboration" of 2 pressure points and a brains?
I have that, I guess I don't know how to use pressure points very well either

I'm buying this just because it has gate outputs for my Harmonic Oscillator.

Also it's outside of the rack and I prefer it for a touch controller.

I don't see this as a pitch sequencer like rené at all. It's a touch controller first.
Exactly. Preordered!

Mr.Kus
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Make Noise 0-Ctrl

Post by Mr.Kus » Tue May 05, 2020 3:29 pm

intuitionnyc wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 3:08 pm
Just pre-ordered at Control NYC if anybody was interested. Not sure if other sites have put up for pre-order yet.

www.ctrl-mod.com
Escape from Noise has it available (at least according to the website, don't know if they have actually managed to got some units in stock already):

https://escapefromnoise.com/en/manufact ... ise-0-ctrl

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Tue May 05, 2020 3:30 pm

zerodivide wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 3:19 pm
intuitionnyc wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 1:59 pm
zerodivide wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 1:52 pm
to me this product is dope , however, if money was no object and I have a modular already, I feel you're covered with Rene 2 + PP . However, if I only had a 0-coast I would certainly purchase this
So, if you don't have Rene or PP yet and you already have some Make Noise modules do you:

A) Put Rene and PP in your case

B) Save some HP in your case and go with 0-Coast

In theory, while you wouldn't get as complex sequences, you can save money:

Rene $525
PP $215
Total $740

0-Ctrl $399

You could also go used on PP and Rene (and save even more money getting a Rene MK1). Million ways to get there. :-)
thats precisely why I prefaced my post with "if money is no object " :)
I think the math here is a little screwy.

0-Control is a superset of two (2) Pressure Points plus the Brain module. $215 X 2 + $120 = $550. And that’s not counting the cost of the 44HP that these three modules gobble. Rack space is a hidden cost. Your cost per HP varies depending on how much dough you invested in your rack. 0-Control is 0HP because it doesn’t go in your rack.

At $399, 0-Control is a bargain.

Rene 2 is a very different sequencer that works very differently and produces very different results.

kenosis
Common Wiggler

Post by kenosis » Tue May 05, 2020 3:32 pm

Mr.Kus wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 3:29 pm
intuitionnyc wrote:
Just pre-ordered at Control NYC if anybody was interested. Not sure if other sites have put up for pre-order yet.

www.ctrl-mod.com
Escape from Noise has it available (at least according to the website, don't know if they have actually managed to got some units in stock already):

I was just told Detroit Modular has them up, but I have not confirmed that.

zerodivide
Wiggling with Experience

Post by zerodivide » Tue May 05, 2020 3:35 pm

mdoudoroff wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 3:30 pm
zerodivide wrote:
intuitionnyc wrote:
zerodivide wrote:
to me this product is dope , however, if money was no object and I have a modular already, I feel you're covered with Rene 2 + PP . However, if I only had a 0-coast I would certainly purchase this
So, if you don't have Rene or PP yet and you already have some Make Noise modules do you:

Rene $525
PP $215
Total $740

0-Ctrl $399

You could also go used on PP and Rene (and save even more money getting a Rene MK1). Million ways to get there. :-)

0-Control is a superset of two (2) Pressure Points plus the Brain module. $215 X 2 + $120 = $550. And that’s not counting the cost of the 44HP that these three modules gobble. Rack space is a hidden cost. Your cost per HP varies depending on how much dough you invested in your rack. 0-Control is 0HP because it doesn’t go in your rack.

Rene 2 is a very different sequencer that works very differently and produces very different results.
yeah its hard to compare. It's kind of like comparing 0-coast to a DPO . 0-coast is amazing bang for the buck that does so much. But DPO is a bigger beast that's more part of a bigger system. I think that analogy kind of works
Last edited by zerodivide on Tue May 05, 2020 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Tue May 05, 2020 3:36 pm

The EFN page states ”Preorder only. Delivery is expected around May the 20th.”
New track! Drum synthesis and melodies. ✨

Late Air
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Late Air » Tue May 05, 2020 3:39 pm

intuitionnyc wrote:

www.ctrl-mod.com
Sweet! Just ordered one. Glad I can still do in-store pickup

Mr.Kus
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Mr.Kus » Tue May 05, 2020 3:42 pm

Mr.Kus wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 3:29 pm

lisa wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 3:36 pm
The EFN page states ”Preorder only. Delivery is expected around May the 20th.”
:doh: how did I miss that?

luketeaford
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by luketeaford » Tue May 05, 2020 3:47 pm

I just preordered from Detroit Modular-- it's not on the homepage, but if you search 0 ctrl it will come up. The LOCKDOWN10 code worked for me, too.

Whatisvalis
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Whatisvalis » Tue May 05, 2020 4:33 pm

Interested but not going to rush to preorder until I've seen more. Love the idea of having a desktop touch controller - the sequencer is a bonus.

patilon
Veteran Wiggler

Post by patilon » Tue May 05, 2020 5:01 pm

with pressure points it´s very fiddly to adjust melodies and once i get it right it gets detuned after a while.
probably make noise still uses the same potentiometers for all of their modules.. if not for very precise tuning
(due to lacking of a quantizer or does it have one?) it doesn´t matter and they are fine but for creating melodies
with exact tuning it´s more of a hassle.. so curious if the behaviour mind be better here.
(doepfer ones work well for that sort of thing for example)

buyingitwontmakeucool
Common Wiggler

Post by buyingitwontmakeucool » Tue May 05, 2020 5:40 pm

Having trouble resisting because my mind can’t stop thinking about how I’d patch it to the Assimil8or. Seems like such a natural, fun front end since I use the A8 more for creating layered polyphonic patches than for drum kits

orangehexagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by orangehexagon » Tue May 05, 2020 6:14 pm

Athair wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 12:02 pm
First post - glad to finally join!

I’ve got really mixed feelings on this. I’ve got an 0-coast and love the form factor. I also really like the idea of having more expressive control in modular. I don’t mind that’s it’s standalone but the option to rack it like a M32 or DFAM would have been cool and I’m not sure what the reasoning is for not doing it?

The biggest issue I have is the strange mental shift that happens as soon as you pull something out of the rack. $399 inside the rack for something like this seems perfectly reasonable. As soon as you make it standalone though you inevitably end up comparing it to some other really capable devices for similar money. Totally different paradigm from most other devices but the lack of quantisation or more than one sequencer channel makes it hard to justify vs a Keystep/SQ-1/BSP plus change.
The Keystep has an arpeggiator, polyphonic sequencer (with sequencer storage), and quantized western tonality.

The 0-Ctrl allows you work with timing events in a more fluid / less rigid manner, allows to you create a wide variation of step orders (with CV or Touch), and integrates with the 0-Coast's Dynamix circuit in a unique way that would require additional modules from other controllers.

They really are different machines and serve different purposes -- they will most likely inspire you in different ways

evilspock
Common Wiggler

Post by evilspock » Tue May 05, 2020 6:29 pm

I guess I'm the only one who is disappointed that in-house quantizing was not included in the design for the pitch row. Tony R discussed why he left it out in the interview with Nick Batt, but I dunno - it would have been nice to have the option if you wanted it.

freqshift
Learning to Wiggle

Post by freqshift » Tue May 05, 2020 6:43 pm

It took me two+ years to stop calling the 0-coast an "oh coast" (which is weird I'd even call it that since it's a pet peeve of mine that "0" is "zero" not "oh") after hearing everyone call it "no coast" and now I see 0-CTRL URL on the Make Noise website is "ohctrl" (http://makenoisemusic.com/synthesizers/ohctrl).

I give up.

kenosis
Common Wiggler

Post by kenosis » Tue May 05, 2020 6:46 pm

luketeaford wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 3:47 pm
I just preordered from Detroit Modular-- it's not on the homepage, but if you search 0 ctrl it will come up. The LOCKDOWN10 code worked for me, too.
me too.

orangehexagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by orangehexagon » Tue May 05, 2020 7:48 pm

freqshift wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 6:43 pm
It took me two+ years to stop calling the 0-coast an "oh coast" (which is weird I'd even call it that since it's a pet peeve of mine that "0" is "zero" not "oh") after hearing everyone call it "no coast" and now I see 0-CTRL URL on the Make Noise website is "ohctrl" (http://makenoisemusic.com/synthesizers/ohctrl).

I give up.
Quarantine got you feeling so uptight you had to create a muffwigglers acct just so you could post this?

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Tue May 05, 2020 8:03 pm

The combo(0-Coast + 0-Ctrl) shall be known as "The Oh No" hence forth!

That is all
THUMPR BC SC

VZvision
Wiggling with Experience

Post by VZvision » Tue May 05, 2020 8:25 pm

Just watched the video and really cool that this thing is pre-wired for the MARF patch with interval timing per stage. That makes it special to me since it’s one of my fav starting points for PP + Brains patches. I’m sure this unit will proliferate in the wild in no time :tu:

gegeartist
Learning to Wiggle

Post by gegeartist » Tue May 05, 2020 8:45 pm

Great controller for the 0-coast. Very interested.

gentle_attack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gentle_attack » Tue May 05, 2020 9:49 pm

patilon wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 5:01 pm
with pressure points it´s very fiddly to adjust melodies and once i get it right it gets detuned after a while.
probably make noise still uses the same potentiometers for all of their modules.. if not for very precise tuning
(due to lacking of a quantizer or does it have one?) it doesn´t matter and they are fine but for creating melodies
with exact tuning it´s more of a hassle.. so curious if the behaviour mind be better here.
(doepfer ones work well for that sort of thing for example)
It's a double edged sword for sure:
on one hand if you "need" quantized there's no shortage of things like ornament and crime out there that "do it right" and if you use those - there's no chance a module like this can compare (kind of like comparing TEMPI to a DAW / Elektron->CV rig - that's not who MN is catering to)

But on the other hand having ornament and crime(s) aplenty doesn't really fit with the 0-coast+control paradigm that is what's so appealing about this in the first place

I had been hoping for a partner to the 0-Coast like this for a while - I suppose I'm a little underwhelmed since it doesn't look to have much "unexpected" like I expect from MN other than the time parameter... but at the same time I've learned time and time again that damn near every MN module has some low-key excellent features that aren't so obvious the first time you give it a once over.

Cautiously optimistic, and who am I kidding I will nearly certainly own this within 6 months (though I'm not craving it and I live for second hand).
Control Skiff ||Big Case || cv.ocd || TT303v2 || Manther || OP-1 OP-Lab|| Octatrack Digitone RYTM || BX-8 BX-16 || Monologue KP3+

intuitionnyc
Veteran Wiggler

Post by intuitionnyc » Tue May 05, 2020 10:17 pm

mdoudoroff wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 3:30 pm
zerodivide wrote:
intuitionnyc wrote:
zerodivide wrote:

Rene $525
PP $215
Total $740

0-Ctrl $399

Yes! You are completely right. My bad!

Oh, and Zerodivide, I wasn’t trying to say you were wrong at all. I was just throwing out different ideas. :)

xcc
Wiggling with Experience

Post by xcc » Tue May 05, 2020 10:22 pm

orangehexagon wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 7:48 pm
freqshift wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 6:43 pm

I give up.
Quarantine got you feeling so uptight you had to create a muffwigglers acct just so you could post this?
What was uptight about it?

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Tue May 05, 2020 10:39 pm

hawkfuzz wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 8:03 pm
The combo(0-Coast + 0-Ctrl) shall be known as "The Oh No" hence forth!
:yay:

I've been calling it "Oh Coast" but I really like the idea of referring to this as "No Control."

Also I went ahead and preordered. 8-)

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Tue May 05, 2020 11:00 pm

It's already the Oh-Coast though.

No Control is slick.
THUMPR BC SC

Return to “General Gear”