Spiritual successor to Ensoniq SQ80/ESQ? (Small)

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

Madrayken
Ultra Wiggler

Spiritual successor to Ensoniq SQ80/ESQ? (Small)

Post by Madrayken » Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:54 pm

Don't suppose there's a modern, non-vst small version of the Ensoniq SQ80 or similar, is there?

- Digital is fine!
- 2/3 digital oscs
- 100 +loops/basic waveforms (not just bitty little wavetables)
- nice filters
- sync
- ring-mod
- any other sonic tricks welcome :-)
- does not require sampling your own waves to get decent results
- polyphonic (or else why go digital?)

iPad synth acceptable.

Things on my radar:

Blofeld? Or is that just tiny wavetables?
Tried Crystal XT on the iPad, but it's too crashy.

Will carry on researching in the meantime!

Thanks!
Anger is a sublimated desire for power.

https://denecarter.bandcamp.com
www.soundcloud.com/Madrayken

jupiter8
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jupiter8 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:58 pm

http://mutable-instruments.net/
Shruti 1 ? Though it's monophonic. But hell just get a couple of them.

algorhythm
Wiggling with Experience

Post by algorhythm » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:05 pm

Umm, for current kit check the Dave Smith Evolver or the Waldorf Blofeld - just because of the Wavetables really - these two have a lot more going for them than the Ensoniqs did, but you can get similar sounds.
Last edited by algorhythm on Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

algorhythm
Wiggling with Experience

Post by algorhythm » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:07 pm

Oh, yeah, now that I think about it I believe there's a couple of VSTi's out there that were meant to emulate the ESQ-1/SQ-80... forget their names now, but I'm sure a quick Google will lead you there.

Madrayken
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Madrayken » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:56 pm

I've tried the VST - it is awesome. :-)

lilakmonoke
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lilakmonoke » Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:31 pm

the esq1 is one of the best deals at the moment. its cheap, easy to program, a solid keyboard and a fat analog sound with those filters ... and the case is all metal gear solid. how do you want to top that with a plastic VA?

algorhythm
Wiggling with Experience

Post by algorhythm » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:58 pm

Yeah, I had an SQ-80 for years - it is a tank. The interface was OK for making patches, but for live tweaking it sucked. Too heavy to gig with really, and not *that* special sounding. I actually prefer a Walorf Microwave, honestly. I think these days you'd be better off with a Blofeld - yes it's digital, but it's portable and a lot more tweakable then the Ensoniqs. Plus, it does a pretty good VA, which the Ensoniqs could never quite nail.

tIB
Stainer!

Post by tIB » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:08 pm

Monomachine.... I always wanted an sq89 because it seemed like an elder cousin of my beloved mnm.

algorhythm
Wiggling with Experience

Post by algorhythm » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:46 pm

Hmm, I never thought of the Monomachine. I'll have take a closer look... I always figured it was 'trying' to be a Roland x0x box...? :despair:

Sir Ruff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sir Ruff » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:54 pm

algorhythm wrote:Hmm, I never thought of the Monomachine. I'll have take a closer look... I always figured it was 'trying' to be a Roland x0x box...? :despair:
MnM has absolutely nothing in common with roland gear aside from 16 programming steps on the front! That's a good suggestion actually...

The SQ80 even today is still very unique; while I accept some people don't think they're all that special, they have a wonderul, warm low-fi sound (organic digital as I think of it) that no other synth can really match. It is much more subtle than the comparatively hi-fi MWII/XT/XTk which sounds great but is just too polished and aggressive to me (despite the fact I LOVE the wavetable sound).

The Shruthi is another good suggestion (which fulfills all my wavetable desires ). While I agree it would be better if it was polyphonic, many wavetable sounds are so big sounding (especially at the low end) that you really only need a monophonic synth to do them.

Arturo00
Maximum bass on all frequencies!

Post by Arturo00 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:35 pm

I've been looking for an SQ-80 for months!!! I had an easier time finding a cheap 808 then I've had finding one of these :( I've got ads up everywhere! Most people that have them for sale have been flakey in one way or another.

Thing is, I'm not sure I'd get anything but the SQ-80 or ESQ-1. Even if there are modern equivalents. I won't rest till I get one.
A/V: hardscience.ca
Twitter: @hardscience
Instagram: @le_douche & @hard_science

lilakmonoke
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lilakmonoke » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:11 am

i bought an sq-80 but after a week it died mysteriously. i think the power supply died. i also have an esq-1 so its not that bad.

if you cant find an sq-80 the esq-1 is just as good. the sq-80 is better looking, like a grey battleship and it has more waves and the disc drive. they both sound awesome and identical to me.

BTW the nord wave does it all and more but its big and expensive. also im not sold on the sound of it. its all about the sound with wavetable stuff and not the features for me.

my favourite wavetable synth is the kawai k1, no features but what a sound. run it through a VCF and its sonic beauty.

tIB
Stainer!

Post by tIB » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:43 am

Sir Ruff wrote:
algorhythm wrote:Hmm, I never thought of the Monomachine. I'll have take a closer look... I always figured it was 'trying' to be a Roland x0x box...? :despair:
MnM has absolutely nothing in common with roland gear aside from 16 programming steps on the front!
This! With the mnm if you do go for it make sure its a mk2 which has the uploadable wave upgrade.

jonah
searching for "switch nipples"

Post by jonah » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:30 am

Radias as a bizzaro world version? So bright. I can't say it sounds at all like an sq80 or esq1, although they do mix well.

Arturo00
Maximum bass on all frequencies!

Post by Arturo00 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:09 pm

lilakmonoke wrote:my favourite wavetable synth is the kawai k1, no features but what a sound. run it through a VCF and its sonic beauty.
I got a K3M a few weeks ago. I like it...
A/V: hardscience.ca
Twitter: @hardscience
Instagram: @le_douche & @hard_science

Sir Ruff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sir Ruff » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:55 pm

lilakmonoke wrote:my favourite wavetable synth is the kawai k1, no features but what a sound. run it through a VCF and its sonic beauty.
Surely the K1 + filter = K4? :party: :hihi:

I did like the sound of the (2) K1s I owned as well as the K4, but just could never gel well enough with the interface to warrant keeping them. That and I found the SQ80 pretty much got most of the way there (in a more ear-pleasing manner). I turned to software for the last K1 I had, but it actually wasn't much of an improvement with the exception of being able to see the waveform names.

I could almost give the K4r a whirl again though... (but only if I find one for nearly as cheap as my first - $22 :lol: )

algorhythm
Wiggling with Experience

Post by algorhythm » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:00 am

Oh yeah, I almost forgot about the Kawai K3r, but that might be the closest thing to the Ensoniqs - at least sound-wise. The interface wasn't nearly as 'nice' as Ensoniq's, but at the start of the thread he was looking for something like the ESQ/SQ and small. So I think a Kawai rack would fit the bill if you can find one... and for new, I sitll think an Evolver can get you there.

Biff
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Biff » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:52 pm

The M-Audio Venom is another 3-osc per voice poly synth, which is a rare breed. But no analog obviously. The nord modular can do that too and then some, only basic analog sounds, no bells though.

Sperrle
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Sperrle » Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:24 am

I have a possibility to buy not working SQ-80. Maybe someone knows if it contains the same replacement parts for such synths as Fizmo and ASR10? For example keys, sliders, display and floppy drive (ASR10), etc...? Is it worth buying for such affair?

lilakmonoke
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lilakmonoke » Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:11 am

check out the new polyshruti by mutable instruments, thats probably your contemporary esq1 ...

poladark
Wiggling with Experience

Post by poladark » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:12 am

algorhythm wrote:Oh yeah, I almost forgot about the Kawai K3r, but that might be the closest thing to the Ensoniqs - at least sound-wise.
I politely beg to differ. While the K3(m) has that pure/sparkling digital quality the waveforms are single-cycle only. I think the SQ-80 has more complex waveforms as well.

Sir Ruff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sir Ruff » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:29 am

lilakmonoke wrote:check out the new polyshruti by mutable instruments, thats probably your contemporary esq1 ...

I am thinking of this more as a Waldorf clone rather than Ensoniq...

Splitting hairs in a way, but the SQ-80/ESQ-1 don't have wavetable modulation. The later Ensoniqs do, but don't have any of these wacky shruthi waveforms.

Madrayken
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Madrayken » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:27 pm

This is a late April Fools jest, right?

dang_motu
Common Wiggler

Re: Spiritual successor to Ensoniq SQ80/ESQ? (Small)

Post by dang_motu » Tue May 05, 2020 11:53 am

Yo, I hate to do this, but does anyone have even a short clip of an SQ-80 preset called "Bouncy"? I really need to see if it matches up to this sound I am looking for. Many thanks!

sinfunc
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Spiritual successor to Ensoniq SQ80/ESQ? (Small)

Post by sinfunc » Tue May 05, 2020 6:45 pm

sorry, don't know or have that patch, but i like the idea of a spiritual successor to the esq-1/sq-80, so i just want to answer the original post with an answer that was impossible in 2012: novation peak?

Return to “General Gear”