boss rps-10 background clicking noise

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

sarv
Learning to Wiggle

boss rps-10 background clicking noise

Post by sarv » Sat May 02, 2020 4:18 pm

Hi all,

I've recently purchased an RPS-10 and overall am loving it, but I've noticed there's a kind of clicking sound present in the background only with the Pitch Shift modes (A, B, and INV). I'm using electric guitar as input. Not the end of the world, but definitely noticeable and so I just wanted to check whether anyone else has noticed this, to make sure I don't have a faulty unit.

thanks

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Re: boss rps-10 background clicking noise

Post by MindMachine » Sun May 03, 2020 12:05 am

You may just be hitting it a little heavy? I've used synths into it without any notice, but they may have covered any issues up.

Just gave a try on my RPS-10 with a cheap Epiphone Les Paul Special II (great quality for little $). I did notice some clock noise in the Reverse/Inverse Delay buy nothing out of whack in the PS modes.

These are great units. The whole range is pretty good. For the cost they are as good as it gets. I also have the RSD-10 and would like a few others.

If you can you can post some audio it would help. A lot of these early digital units had noise or clock bs, but I find this series to be pretty reliable.
FS: Pedals and Euro modules, Delta Labs
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=233636&p=3287718&h ... e#p3287718
WTT: my Mangler for your Rumour

sarv
Learning to Wiggle

Post by sarv » Mon May 04, 2020 1:05 pm

Please see attached sample. I don't think it's a level thing, because I still get the clicking on the sustains of the notes, and also it's still there when I turn the volume way down on the guitar. I've got the input switch on back set set to -20dbm btw; the clicking is still there at -10dbm, with the noise floor being raised as well.

Sounds to me like the processor may be overloading or something like that. I actually had a similar problem with the AUX port on my car radio funnily enough. The theory of it being processor-related may also be supported by the fact that it seems to be slightly less prevalent on the 'B' mode setting than the 'A' (I think the B gets extra processing time since it has increased latency).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sarv
Learning to Wiggle

Post by sarv » Mon May 18, 2020 6:06 pm

an update for any future readers that may have a similar issue:
I did end up returning the unit, and managed to get another one relatively quickly. On this new one, the clicking on A and B Pitch Shift modes is completely gone, so something was indeed faulty with the previous one. However, there's still some pretty bad clicking on the reverse modes (both for the normal delay and the pitch shift). Well, I'm not gonna push my luck going for a third one - I'm mainly interested in the pitch shifting with this thing anyway - but I do find it interesting in that I'd say that the clicking sounds pretty similar to what I was hearing on the other unit, so maybe there is some type of predictable failure that happens with these things. I know MindMachine mentioned having some clock noise in the reverse modes, but what I'm hearing doesn't sound like what I'd expect would pass for acceptable coming out of Boss.
I'm planning on opening it up to do the mods outlined here:http://www.experimentalistsanonymous.co ... pic=1186.0
So while I'm at it I might have a look a replacing the electrolytic caps and see if that makes any difference. Will update if I find anything else out.

Return to “General Gear”