Akai MPC One

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Akai MPC One

Post by slumberjack » Mon May 04, 2020 4:06 pm

how many tracks can be made? i thought it would be cool to have lots of chromatic track even for drum sound.
> WTB ADDAC502 <

www.stefanrudin.bandcamp.com / www.soundcloud.com/stefan_rudin / www.youtube.com/user/slumberknut

Carefully crafted dj set meandering between deep house, minimal and electro.

dBVelocity
Common Wiggler

Post by dBVelocity » Tue May 05, 2020 12:46 pm

You can have 128 midi tracks and 8 audio tracks.

One way to setup a chromatic drum sound is with the keygroups, essentially it will take a single sound and transpose it across the keyboard. You use an entire track in this method and while I'm sure you could setup zones for different sounds it seems tedious. Muting, level and fx control would be difficult of the entire kit unless it was done via a bus channel which I believe is disabled in standalone.

I would probably setup a drum group with multiple drum sounds in multiple pitches utilizing the mute groups and occupy a single track as opposed to many tracks for individual sounds for a drum kit.

dBVelocity
Common Wiggler

Post by dBVelocity » Tue May 05, 2020 1:15 pm

So the update announcement dropped today, yet the download won't be available till the 14th apparently. It's boasting a lot better midi control which was what I was hoping for.

Though the update will address multiple devices via a USB hub so It's a real paradigm shift for me.

I'm realizing I've been missing out on USB midi advantages? I still do standalone production with midi din connections and looking at my gear I've just always had it this way with tons of midi cables and splitters/patchbay but as of late I only have one old school synth left that doesn't have the USB midi (Alpha Juno).
Anyhow it looks pretty cool and looking forward to trying new things, I certainly have the spare time.

solipsvs
Wiggling with Experience

Post by solipsvs » Tue May 05, 2020 2:02 pm

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slumberjack » Tue May 05, 2020 2:40 pm

dBVelocity wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 12:46 pm
You can have 128 midi tracks and 8 audio tracks.

One way to setup a chromatic drum sound is with the keygroups, essentially it will take a single sound and transpose it across the keyboard. You use an entire track in this method and while I'm sure you could setup zones for different sounds it seems tedious. Muting, level and fx control would be difficult of the entire kit unless it was done via a bus channel which I believe is disabled in standalone.

I would probably setup a drum group with multiple drum sounds in multiple pitches utilizing the mute groups and occupy a single track as opposed to many tracks for individual sounds for a drum kit.
Thanks...I placed an order today. When you spread percussion sounds all over the keyboard (and play chords with claps :roll: ) you know you're into minimal territory :mrgreen:
Last edited by slumberjack on Thu May 07, 2020 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
> WTB ADDAC502 <

www.stefanrudin.bandcamp.com / www.soundcloud.com/stefan_rudin / www.youtube.com/user/slumberknut

chorus7
Yeah that's right

Post by chorus7 » Thu May 07, 2020 10:59 am

Anyone in Canada get one yet? Can’t find any place that has them in stock

wigwig
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wigwig » Sat May 09, 2020 12:20 pm

A few people here have one, it seems.
Can you tell us a little about the factory content?
Especially multisample acoustic instruments... aside from piano and guitar?
Akai don’t provide much info here.

(Yeah I know it’s not really about that, but for some odd reason Akai includes those things :))
Mabel encounters a peahen.

dBVelocity
Common Wiggler

Post by dBVelocity » Sat May 09, 2020 2:47 pm

Well the main included content is around drum kits with some synth stabs and pads etc as part of the drum kits not playable keygroups.. although the F9 expansion is offered as a free download to MPC One owners. Full of bass sounds (mostly synth and some electric) there's some electric guitar, organs, bells, fm electric pianos, a couple horn stabs and even a steel drum. So incidentally there are loads of expansion kits for purchase to add on and you may find stuff that suits all kinds of needs.. so I'd look into what expansions are available.

That said I find that I'm enjoying the ability to create my own keygroups. I get a lot of satisfaction in customizing the tool to be more aligned with what I want it to be. Probably not anywhere near the answer you were hoping for, though if you're wanting to get more variety in acoustic instruments there's nothing stopping you from doing the work to create your own.

wigwig
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wigwig » Sat May 09, 2020 4:56 pm

@dbVelocity
Thanks very much. That helps a lot.

More or less what I expected, but was kinda hoping to be surprised.
F9 might be worth a look and there are one or two expansions I’ve seen that could be useful.
As you say, can always make home-brew.

Thanks again
Mabel encounters a peahen.

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slumberjack » Sun May 17, 2020 7:04 am

It's here now and I'm eager to learn the machine...now I found something that seems odd: The pads in a drum program are latching and so the whole sample plays through. I assigned now a vocal phrase chopped into slices to a drum program and this behaviour isn't appropriate. I found a way to adjust the amp eg of each pad as a work around but that is not really what I like to do. Is there a function to put all pads in the drum program to momentary gate?
> WTB ADDAC502 <

pre55ure
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pre55ure » Mon May 18, 2020 2:22 am

slumberjack wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 7:04 am
Is there a function to put all pads in the drum program to momentary gate?
Go to program edit, make sure you have "ALL" pads selected, then go under the LFO Modulation tab (I don't know why it's here, but it is) and you will find a tab for "one shot" or "note on". Switch it to "note on" and now all of your drums (in that program) will be controlled by the amp envelop. You can make this a momentary gate by just setting the amp envelope as minimum attack decay and release with full sustain and then using note length to control the gate.

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slumberjack » Mon May 18, 2020 2:46 am

pre55ure wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 2:22 am
slumberjack wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 7:04 am
Is there a function to put all pads in the drum program to momentary gate?
Go to program edit, make sure you have "ALL" pads selected, then go under the LFO Modulation tab (I don't know why it's here, but it is) and you will find a tab for "one shot" or "note on". Switch it to "note on" and now all of your drums (in that program) will be controlled by the amp envelop. You can make this a momentary gate by just setting the amp envelope as minimum attack decay and release with full sustain and then using note length to control the gate.
Jeeeez that is indeed the least page I'd look after to find that...thanks man for the help! :party: :tu:
> WTB ADDAC502 <

dBVelocity
Common Wiggler

Post by dBVelocity » Thu May 21, 2020 10:56 am

I ran into a weird issue and did a bit of looking around and found that the mpc has a rather odd limitation with the audio tracks.

Now you might think that you could get up to 20 min record time as that's essentially available in the sampler page... So when it stops recording after 5 min without any visual feedback other than watching the wave form window stop in real time I was getting rather frustrated. I'm talking a single audio track here not hogging up the ram.

Ok, I know it's not really a full on multitracker but there's just no mention of this at all in the manual ...so one is led to believe that there is a quite capable multitracking functionality. Googling this behavior confirms that others have the issue and it is apparently by design until they can sort out disk streaming.

The Workaround:. If doing over 5 min continuous audio, use the sampler up to your 20 min chunk and select KEEP and name it but don't assign it, now go to the audio tab and setup the new track, tap the "edit audio" and browse for sample from that page and move it around in your timeline or whatever. I think it's easiest to setup a locator and ensure your playhead is where you want it then browse for sample to insert.

Of coarse you can also do punch in and out style chunks that are under the 5 min as well. It took a little time to get used to all this but it is now pretty smooth for me and feels like it's quite capable again.

dBVelocity
Common Wiggler

Post by dBVelocity » Thu May 21, 2020 11:29 am

In demonstration of the case above, I posted a track to YouTube that sort of shows this limitation.. I was capturing the performance on the MPC so I could sync to video in post.. The capture cuts my tails off and I decided to fade to the camera mic which actually kind of lends to the project with the outside bird whistles bleeding in.. So I kept it. Moving forward I'll look into capturing entire performances in another manner.. so yeah. Food for thought. Happy jamming y'all.. :guinness:

aethyr
Wiggling with Experience

Post by aethyr » Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:37 pm

anyone experiencing stuck notes using an external controller? seems like it is happening more with my CV/Gate outs

any help would be appreciated and thank you

**solved** it was my controller.

Return to “General Gear”