Doepfer A-156 Dual Quantizer????

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

wbelote
Common Wiggler

Post by wbelote » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:41 pm

artisokka wrote:
From the manual: "Whenever a quantisation happens (i.e. a new voltage is generated at the CV Out) a positive pulse occurs at this output. It may be used to trigger an envelope generator (ADSR) or for triggering other modules (sequential switch A-151, trigger divider/sequencer A-160/161, trigger delay A-162, ...). If none of these functions are used the jack is left open."
Thank you artisokka And I'm always telling my wife to read the manual!

Thank you also fireclown and Papercutnoise for your input. Can't wait to get home and try some of this.
P. Willstar: Making electrons do their part.

chvad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by chvad » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:09 pm

keep in mind, if it doesn't quantize, a trigger isn't fired... so if you pump the same value into it twice there is no second trigger

WeepWow
Common Wiggler

Post by WeepWow » Sat May 19, 2018 6:21 pm

Can someone please tell me what the best thing to plug into the A-156 'Transpose In', (besides a keyboard) nothing seems to be making any noticeable or effective scale changes etc. I am definitely missing something. Thanks!

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Sun May 20, 2018 2:22 am

WeepWow wrote:Can someone please tell me what the best thing to plug into the A-156 'Transpose In', (besides a keyboard) nothing seems to be making any noticeable or effective scale changes etc. I am definitely missing something. Thanks!
1 volt per octave into the transpose input should transpose the both quantizers one octave up. Transpose inputs are quantized to the nearest semitone.

R.U.Nuts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by R.U.Nuts » Sun May 20, 2018 6:09 am

dubonaire wrote:
WeepWow wrote:Can someone please tell me what the best thing to plug into the A-156 'Transpose In', (besides a keyboard) nothing seems to be making any noticeable or effective scale changes etc. I am definitely missing something. Thanks!
1 volt per octave into the transpose input should transpose the both quantizers one octave up. Transpose inputs are quantized to the nearest semitone.
The A-156 only senses positive voltages. So if you send it a bipolar signal like an LFO it'll do nothing while the LFO is in it's negative halfwave. So unipolar positive voltages should be best.

WeepWow
Common Wiggler

Post by WeepWow » Sun May 20, 2018 8:13 am

Thanks Dub and R.U.
sounds like I need to rebuy Pressure Points or similar, also have an Arturia Keystep I can try (hate taking up the desk space).

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Mon May 21, 2018 12:44 am

dp
Last edited by dubonaire on Mon May 21, 2018 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Mon May 21, 2018 12:44 am

WeepWow wrote:Thanks Dub and R.U.
sounds like I need to rebuy Pressure Points or similar, also have an Arturia Keystep I can try (hate taking up the desk space).
Why don't you try using your A-143-2, setting different sustain levels, and you can use your sample and hold and your clock divider to give you various gate lengths.

You could also use your switches and your sequencer as well.

toonertik
Learning to Wiggle

Post by toonertik » Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:09 pm

R.U.Nuts wrote:
dubonaire wrote:
The A-156 only senses positive voltages. So if you send it a bipolar signal like an LFO it'll do nothing while the LFO is in it's negative halfwave. So unipolar positive voltages should be best.
Phew... thanks for that... I just got mine and tried using the A-185-2 to lower the octave with negative volt, as I had been doing with my Disting . Thought the 156 might have been faulty.

Mark II
Common Wiggler

Post by Mark II » Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:13 am

I love the straightforwardness of the a-156. Have an ADDAC207 for more scale options.
The thing is to put a motor in yourself - fz

Virustian
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Doepfer A-156 Dual Quantizer????

Post by Virustian » Fri May 22, 2020 7:01 am

In my freshly aquired A-156 I've noticed a problem with the transpose function, if I feed a cv from my qunexus to the quantizer transpose input ,sometimes (frequently) it shifts up the sequence a semitone and then returns to normal. Never had a problem with my qunexus, seems like a doepfer issue. Can anybody confirm this behaviour?

Return to “Eurorack Modules”