What new booty did you buy?

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

commodorejohn
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: What new booty did you buy?

Post by commodorejohn » Sun May 17, 2020 10:17 pm

I do recall the key setup being a major job from an L-100 that I unfortunately wasn't able to salvage :/ It's only a couple of keys, and they seem better already after just noodling around for a bit, so hopefully a little repeat action is all it'll take. I suppose if I ever get crazy and try a foldback mod for it, that'd be the time to do a deep clean on the busbars, but that'd definitely be further down the road. Might look at doing a Leslie hookup mod for it sooner than that, though, but I'm still going back and forth on how soon to try tackling that.

Anyway, I'm stoked :D Been wanting to get a Hammond again for years (cripes, the last time I had a fully working one set up and accessible was, um, early 2009,) and it's nice that in the intervening time I've had so many opportunities to grow as a keyboardist. I'm still nowhere near where I want to be, but at least I no longer feel like a little treasure like this is wasted on me ;)
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000, Ensoniq SQ-80

"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

gslug
Common Wiggler

Post by gslug » Tue May 19, 2020 9:56 pm

IMG_20200518_125106.jpg
MKS-20 and a dead U-220. The U-220 has already given up an output jack to replace a damaged one on the MKS-20, its volume knob to replace the missing one on my working U-220, its feet (MKS-20), rack ears and various screws (MKS-50). I think this is the first time I've ever stipped something for spares, and even though it's only a rompler, I feel dirty! The MKS-20 cleaned up nicely.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
One day I'll get an avatar!

Thelefthandpath
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Thelefthandpath » Wed May 20, 2020 5:06 am

LameAim
Wiggling with Experience

Post by LameAim » Thu May 21, 2020 1:24 am

I picked up an Analog Four semi-recently and paired it with my Digitakt in the living room while I get to know it better, has been lots of fun. Everything I’ve done with those two so far sound like lo-fi hip hop versions of Ridge Racer tunes :sb:

So I’ve felt inspired enough to commit to some big changes for the summer.

First, I will be redoing my 7U Ableton/Pulsar-23 companion case by adding the following:
Intellijel Quadrax
MI Stages
SSF Stereo Dipole
Micro Ornaments and Crime

Second, I’ll be putting the A4 in the main setup to use with my Matriarch and a backup Intellijel Palette case containing Plaits and some other modules removed from the 7U case :party: :party: :guinness: I’ll likely use all of this together for 2-3 months, then reevaluate and trim if needed.

ObsoleteModular
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ObsoleteModular » Thu May 21, 2020 5:25 am

LameAim wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 1:24 am
lo-fi hip hop versions of Ridge Racer tunes :sb:
Ha! Niche but nice

EasyToAssemble
Learning to Wiggle

Post by EasyToAssemble » Thu May 21, 2020 9:23 am

Just bought:

Alesis Midiverb II
The one with the famous Bloom and Reverse delay settings. Also bought as my Boss RV500 doesn't have quite the long tails I'd like. Hoping to get a bit of that 90's Warp IDM magic with this.

Boss PSD-10 - Pitch Shift Delay
Half-rack unit from the 80's. Ordered from Japan (gulp) as UK listings are hardly appearing anywhere. Has a 1/4 in. pitch control input so easy to create some pretty mad sounds (Aphex, VvM, etc) on this thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeDy1PZaKkk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RHdYt6AKfU&t=32s

Bastl Microgranny 2.5
Crunchy lo-fi granular sampler. Still not sure if I like this thing as the lack of display and ready access of specific sounds - plus the tiny SD card - makes this thing a bit of a ballache if you have specific samples in mind.

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re:

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Thu May 21, 2020 10:24 pm

calaveras wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:41 pm
bought an OB6 after a long deliberation.
Just turned 50 and an 80's style polysynth seemed to be the best mid life crisis toy.
Yeah its a mess. I'm re-arranging everything to fit the Oberheim.
... i'm diggin on the DEVO hat in the corner of the pic. so what's up with the DEVO hat? can you say DEVO hat? i can ... watch .... ~DEEEVO HAT~ .... see? easy peasy. now, once more, this time with feeling ...... ~DEEEEEEEEEEVOOOOOOO HAT~ .... there we go, much better.

:)

... devo hat bitches .... godammit i said DEVO HAT you sumbitches! bow before me! DEVO HAT!

Never Quit, Die Falling Forward
5U PROJECT - (skip pages 4 through 6, boring junk) ... https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... highlight=

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Thu May 21, 2020 10:39 pm

commodorejohn wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 9:32 pm
A 1959 Hammond M-3 tonewheel organ, in very good cosmetic and operating condition :D Just need to break out the Deoxit and clean up the drawbars and a couple of the key contacts and it'll be good as new!
... ah! you speaka my language! my wife has a 1953 M3 and a 1955 M3. the '55 is named "Morticia" and the '53 is named "Gomez" ..... after Morticia and Gomez Addams of The Addams Family. i have a 1962 Hammond A102 that i've converted to a full blown C3. i've outfitted all 3 organs with line outputs, built in overdrives, speaker outputs to allow the onboard power amps to drive speakers, as well as a number of other modifications. i love real deal tonewheel Hammonds. the A102 cost me $175.00 ... for reals, a hundred and seventy five dollarbucks. i put a new ~start~ switch in it, and the AO28 preamp needed the main power capacitors totally replaced ... literally seventeen bucks worth of caps, and those were high end caps. they'll now outlive me. the A102 was owned by a single family, all of the service documentation came with it, a journal of each time the Hammond tech come out to oil it and check it out for the family. absolute steal. the old woman i bought it from was just thrilled that i knew how to operate it and play it. that alone made her feel so good. some of the preset keys wouldn't stay engaged, and A3 key on the lower manual didn't work. all it took to fix both problems was literally usage! the organ had so little time on it that contacts and mechanical systems were just really needing to be used. after about ten to twelve hours of spirited playing everything worked fine.

8-)
Never Quit, Die Falling Forward
5U PROJECT - (skip pages 4 through 6, boring junk) ... https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... highlight=

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Re:

Post by dubonaire » Fri May 22, 2020 3:08 am

Rex Coil 7 wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 10:24 pm
calaveras wrote:
Just turned 50 and an 80's style polysynth seemed to be the best mid life crisis toy.
... i'm diggin on the DEVO hat in the corner of the pic. so what's up with the DEVO hat? can you say DEVO hat? i can ... watch .... ~DEEEVO HAT~ .... see? easy peasy. now, once more, this time with feeling ...... ~DEEEEEEEEEEVOOOOOOO HAT~ .... there we go, much better.

... devo hat bitches .... godammit i said DEVO HAT you sumbitches! bow before me! DEVO HAT!

let's be clear on terminology here, it's called an Energy Dome.

By the way:

pmboos
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Re:

Post by pmboos » Fri May 22, 2020 7:12 am

Rex Coil 7 wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 10:24 pm
calaveras wrote:

I don't know if they still sell them, but for awhile with their last album, they had blue energy domes as well. I've also seen DEVO wear an orange version, which I would buy as well if they ever offered them for sale. (Yes I have both a red and a blue one.)
---
“What actions can be taken to create a joyful, inspiring, and productive work environment?"

kinkujin
Common Wiggler

Post by kinkujin » Fri May 22, 2020 8:24 am

dml wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 7:39 pm
I've owned several ARP 2600s since the early 80s. I started collecting them at a time when folks were practically giving them away! My dream synth since my teenage years and one of my all time favorite synths. I sold my last ARP in 2006 and have, of course, regretted it. I was really excited by Korgs reissue but the asking price was more than I could afford. I decided I'd be happy with Behringer's version but, while waiting for its release, I discovered Blue Lantern Modular and their BLM 7200 which is very much inspired by the 2600 without attempting to be a clone. As a longtime 2600 owner I am thrilled with this little feller. It gives me that 2600 vibe I've been missing! It has a completely open architecture, so there's no pre-patch, but other than that it takes the 2600's compliment of modules and its capabilities and considerably expands upon them. If you're considering an Arp 2600, but are open to the idea of an alternative system, I highly recommend checking out the BLM 7200. BLM_7200.JPG
That looks fabulous. That might need to go on my *someday* list (which is really quite the list). Congrats.

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slumberjack » Fri May 22, 2020 8:42 am

EasyToAssemble wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 9:23 am

Boss PSD-10 - Pitch Shift Delay
Half-rack unit from the 80's. Ordered from Japan (gulp) as UK listings are hardly appearing anywhere. Has a 1/4 in. pitch control input so easy to create some pretty mad sounds (Aphex, VvM, etc) on this thing.
:cloud: That is one piece I'd like to own :cloud:
> WTB ADDAC502 <

www.stefanrudin.bandcamp.com / www.soundcloud.com/stefan_rudin / www.youtube.com/user/slumberknut

Carefully crafted dj set meandering between deep house, minimal and electro.

commodorejohn
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by commodorejohn » Fri May 22, 2020 9:28 am

Rex Coil 7 wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 10:39 pm
... ah! you speaka my language! my wife has a 1953 M3 and a 1955 M3. the '55 is named "Morticia" and the '53 is named "Gomez" ..... after Morticia and Gomez Addams of The Addams Family. i have a 1962 Hammond A102 that i've converted to a full blown C3. i've outfitted all 3 organs with line outputs, built in overdrives, speaker outputs to allow the onboard power amps to drive speakers, as well as a number of other modifications. i love real deal tonewheel Hammonds. the A102 cost me $175.00 ... for reals, a hundred and seventy five dollarbucks. i put a new ~start~ switch in it, and the AO28 preamp needed the main power capacitors totally replaced ... literally seventeen bucks worth of caps, and those were high end caps. they'll now outlive me. the A102 was owned by a single family, all of the service documentation came with it, a journal of each time the Hammond tech come out to oil it and check it out for the family. absolute steal. the old woman i bought it from was just thrilled that i knew how to operate it and play it. that alone made her feel so good. some of the preset keys wouldn't stay engaged, and A3 key on the lower manual didn't work. all it took to fix both problems was literally usage! the organ had so little time on it that contacts and mechanical systems were just really needing to be used. after about ten to twelve hours of spirited playing everything worked fine.
They're absolute tanks. This one came with the service log - bought in early 1960, oiled in late 1960, and then had a tube replaced and was re-oiled in early 2020. Other than the slightly-oxidized drawbar contacts and a couple gummed-up keys, it runs like new.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000, Ensoniq SQ-80

"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

syzygywell
aligned wiggler

Post by syzygywell » Sun May 24, 2020 10:46 pm

Well I had no intension of doing it, but I did. I'd been going round and round about the 1010 blackbox, MPC Live, Live 2 and One and then this popped up in my feed. So I bought it.

It's been a long time since someone wrote a really good book in jail.

https://www.instagram.com/instrumentsofflight/

tim gueguen
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tim gueguen » Mon May 25, 2020 1:16 am

There's something very off brand '80s looking about that thing. For example the sliders and markings look like something from a Realistic product.

mmp
Veteran Wiggler

Post by mmp » Mon May 25, 2020 6:30 am

Ha. Yeah. A Realistic mixer.

pmboos
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pmboos » Mon May 25, 2020 7:27 am

syzygywell wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 10:46 pm
Well I had no intension of doing it, but I did. I'd been going round and round about the 1010 blackbox, MPC Live, Live 2 and One and then this popped up in my feed. So I bought it.

I have Isla's Kordbot. It's a pretty cool little device - I like it's strum capabilities. I predict you'll probably be happy with that purchase...
---
“What actions can be taken to create a joyful, inspiring, and productive work environment?"

everydaycurry
Common Wiggler

Post by everydaycurry » Mon May 25, 2020 6:23 pm

Specular Tempus reverb pedal - but the effects loop isn't working. I'm e-mailing with GFI but given the seller's response (nope sorry can't help you dunno never used it) a return is going to be a pain if I can't get it working.

pmboos
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pmboos » Mon May 25, 2020 9:00 pm

everydaycurry wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 6:23 pm
Specular Tempus reverb pedal - but the effects loop isn't working. I'm e-mailing with GFI but given the seller's response (nope sorry can't help you dunno never used it) a return is going to be a pain if I can't get it working.
I hope you keep is in the loop here as I'll be watching this intently. I've been thing of getting one of these...
---

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Tue May 26, 2020 7:41 am

syzygywell wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 10:46 pm

I wish you hadn't posted that and so does my bank account.
We don't want to conquer space at all. We want to expand Earth endlessly. We don't want other worlds; we want a mirror.

solipsvs
Wiggling with Experience

Post by solipsvs » Wed May 27, 2020 5:34 pm

i bought a metal ambika case but painted the end caps
20200527_161148.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

murch33
Common Wiggler

Post by murch33 » Wed May 27, 2020 5:42 pm

Ordered a Digitakt but the store accidentally oversold so they didn’t have enough stock. I ended up talking myself out of it and went with a TR-8S instead. :despair:

solipsvs
Wiggling with Experience

Post by solipsvs » Wed May 27, 2020 5:45 pm

murch33 wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 5:42 pm
Ordered a Digitakt but the store accidentally oversold so they didn’t have enough stock. I ended up talking myself out of it and went with a TR-8S instead. :despair:
you should buy used, they are well built. save yourself money

oscilloscope
Common Wiggler

Post by oscilloscope » Thu May 28, 2020 1:30 am

everydaycurry
Common Wiggler

Post by everydaycurry » Thu May 28, 2020 2:18 am

Ordered a Matriarch - I've been trying to figure out a starting point and bouncing between a Morphagene sampling/external audio setup and a setup based around the E352... decided that the Matriarch was a base where I could expand in both directions without having to lay out for an entire rack at once and have a great mono* synth while I do that.

Return to “General Gear”