Small sequencers / voltage sources

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

Domin
Learning to Wiggle

Small sequencers / voltage sources

Post by Domin » Fri May 22, 2020 12:18 pm

I feel that I don't have enough sequencing. I have two Sputnik 5SVS but all to often I find them clogged by a single channel 3 step sequence. I also would like to have some alternatives to what I get from Marbles.

I'm thinking about getting a few, small sequencers / voltage sources. I'm eyeballing Ladik 18x and Cellz. Polyend preset seems somewhat cool but it's too big, too expensive and too complex. Same goes for Pressure Points. Tirana seems a bit pricey and has features hidden behind some seemingly nasty combos.

I've searched modulargrid for small seqencers and didn't find much else. I'm also interested in modules that allow manual selection of cv without being an actual sequencer. I don't even know how to search for such module. I'd be happy with 3 pots, 3 buttons to select them and an out. I'm pretty sure I'm missing something.

Things I want: small, cheap, simple, sequence length selection or at least reset input, manual step selection, start, stop, advance buttons, wysiwyg, remembering values when turned off, 4-8 steps is fine, available in eu

Things I don't want: big, multichannel, menu diving, key combos, quantization, diy.

Of course I do not expect any module to satisfy all of my criteria I just want some stuff in the ballpark so I can look closer.

autopoiesis
Ultra Wiggler

Re: Small sequencers / voltage sources

Post by autopoiesis » Fri May 22, 2020 12:30 pm

Domin wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 12:18 pm
Things I want: small, cheap, simple, sequence length selection or at least reset input, manual step selection, start, stop, advance buttons, wysiwyg, remembering values when turned off, 4-8 steps is fine, available in eu
Dnipro Metamorph checks almost all the boxes except 'small' (20hp)

'function: 'controller' + secondary function: 'sequencer' seems to be the ticket to search modulargrid for this kind of thing. I don't know that there any small ones that aren't menu-driven or expensive.

maybe you want a make noise 0-ctrl? :despair:

Arneb
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Arneb » Fri May 22, 2020 1:19 pm

Domin wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 12:18 pm
I've searched modulargrid for small seqencers and didn't find much else. I'm also interested in modules that allow manual selection of cv without being an actual sequencer. I don't even know how to search for such module. I'd be happy with 3 pots, 3 buttons to select them and an out. I'm pretty sure I'm missing something.
Most attenuverters and non-passive attenuators act as manual CV sources when unpatched. Patch one of those into a sequential switch and you have a CV sequencer.

Keltie
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Keltie » Fri May 22, 2020 1:25 pm

I have a metric shit load of Ladik. 3 seqs, 2 knob cv expanders, a fader cv expander and an 8 gate out expander. Highly recommend.

The 180 master unit can jump to any step from front panel buttons. Pair that with a cv module, fader or knob, and you have 8 selectable voltages. There’s some option selection via the button, which is kinda sorta menu dive lite, but emphasis on the lite.

Sounds to me that a 180 plus the 182 knob expander might be good for you.

electricanada
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by electricanada » Fri May 22, 2020 2:25 pm

Clock divider into mixer == sequencer
Really any combination of changing CV—lfos, enveloped, gates, etc.—into mixer == sequencer
Changing CV into quantizer == sequencer
Eléctrica (electric) Nāda (the yoga of sound).

dslocum
darwin's nemesis

Post by dslocum » Fri May 22, 2020 2:28 pm

Division-6 Dual Mini Sequencer? Or it's MU cousin SSL 1650 Mini Sequencer?
Doug Slocum
Synthetic Sound Labs
www.steamsynth.com
------------
"I guess all the Forest Mims Radio Shack books I read finally paid off!"
"I ordered twice as many _______ as I thought I'd need, only to find out that I'm still less than half way to having enough."
"...this whole thing was started by a dream and a mouse." - Walt Disney
"Flatulence sounds aren't just for brass and reed instruments anymore, thanks in large part to Dr Moog." - Ockeghem

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Fri May 22, 2020 2:31 pm

electricanada wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 2:25 pm
Really any combination of changing CV—lfos, enveloped, gates, etc.—into mixer == sequencer
^ This.

mg05
Common Wiggler

Post by mg05 » Sat May 23, 2020 4:03 pm

Intellijel uStep - with presets and other features could work for you.
https://intellijel.com/downloads/manual ... l_v1.0.pdf

Domin
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Domin » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:21 am

Thanks for the answers. As I didn't buy anything in the meantime I thought I'd necro the thread.
dslocum wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 2:28 pm
Division-6 Dual Mini Sequencer? Or it's MU cousin SSL 1650 Mini Sequencer?
These look great, but seems to force quantization or format change. Both are no-go for me.
autopoiesis wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 12:30 pm
Dnipro Metamorph checks almost all the boxes except 'small' (20hp)

'function: 'controller' + secondary function: 'sequencer' seems to be the ticket to search modulargrid for this kind of thing. I don't know that there any small ones that aren't menu-driven or expensive.

maybe you want a make noise 0-ctrl? :despair:
Yeah, I know about Metamorph and I might get one some day, but for the time being I got that kind of needs covered by Sputnik 5SVS. I don't want a desk wart and wall wart that 0-ctrl is.

The search terms you recommended led me to Livestock Ellis. The functionality seems just what I want but the interface appears a bit nasty.
electricanada wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 2:25 pm
I've done some clock divider into an atennuator to get a simple two step seqencer and somehow never thought of using it in a mixer.

LFOs or envelopes into mixer don't seem to be what I'm looking for. I'd imagine that would provide me with either winding stepwise melodic lines or rather chaotic succesion of notes. What I want to do it to be able to modulate harmonic complexity to create tension and release. Marbles steps function does that nicely - with a clocked delay I get sort of a canon harmony - but I've decided to be strictly xenharmonic for foreseeable future and I have no way of encoding my own scale into Marbles other than recompiling the firmware, and I don't know if it's even possible on my OS. I've put the X outputs of Marbles through microtonal quantizer and it works to an extent but what it does is produce somewhat random mode of the scale I'm using. I'd like more control. And Marbles forgets the sequence when powered off which I find very annoying.

My idea is to have a few independent sequencers, one providing perhaps octaves and fifths, second thirds and the third one seconds run it through some mutes or VCA and into an unity mixer into quantizer. When drenched in delay I get harmony and by muting some of the sequencers I can modulate it.

Another idea is use a bunch of sequencers to create sort of irrational xenharmonic prolation canon.
Keltie wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 1:25 pm
The 180 master unit can jump to any step from front panel buttons. Pair that with a cv module, fader or knob, and you have 8 selectable voltages. There’s some option selection via the button, which is kinda sorta menu dive lite, but emphasis on the lite.

Sounds to me that a 180 plus the 182 knob expander might be good for you.
I don't have a better idea than two Ladiks, Cellz and perhaps an Ellis.

Can I select steps freely with buttons? I've looked at the docs at Ladik page and was under impression that to be able to select I have to hold some button at boot and then I can't change it into normal sequencer mode without a reset.

Keltie
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Keltie » Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:27 pm

Yes, you can select the steps freely. It will still run clocked, but all 8 gate steps are on, and can’t be toggled.

Access this mode with button 3 pressed at power on. Make it persist through power cycles with buttons 3 and 4 held together.

electricfence
Wiggling with Experience

Post by electricfence » Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:53 pm

It isn't a sequencer, but I've been using a vpme.de T43 precision adder as a voltage source in a small case. I keep it on one side of the case and the switches are fairly playable. It's small and cheap.

There's also the Erica Pico SEQ.

ATW
Common Wiggler

Post by ATW » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:30 pm

Arneb wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 1:19 pm
Most attenuverters and non-passive attenuators act as manual CV sources when unpatched. Patch one of those into a sequential switch and you have a CV sequencer.
Can you pls describe this a bit more? Like having a few manually dialed attenuverter cv signals patched going out of a sequential switch?

xcc
Wiggling with Experience

Post by xcc » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:12 pm

The qu-bit octone gets pretty close to your requirements in 10hp.

Arneb
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Arneb » Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:26 am

ATW wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:30 pm
Arneb wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 1:19 pm
Can you pls describe this a bit more? Like having a few manually dialed attenuverter cv signals patched going out of a sequential switch?
Sure. You'll need a multi-channel attenuverter with inputs normalled to a non-zero constant voltage - i.e. the kind you can use as an offset generator. Preferably one with four or eight channels and no invert switch. Quadratt will do fine.
Then you'll need a sequential switch which can multiplex and which has the same number of channels as your attenuverter. A-151 looks great.
Patch nothing into the Quadratt, the four Quadratt outs into the four A-151 multiplex ins, and your master clock into the A-151 trigger in.
The A-151 out is now a four-step sequence with values determined by the Quadratt knob positions, i.e. the Quadratt-A151 combo acts as a four-step CV sequencer.

flashheart
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flashheart » Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:48 am

Tirana is 4 steps in 6HP, with reset, direction and gate outs. Steps can be different lengths too.
I've also used an RCD with attenuator. Gets interesting when you feed sequence back into the RCD rotate jack...
Any clock divider into an attenautor works well.
I'm not buying a maths though, not my idea of fun...

xntrk
Learning to Wiggle

Post by xntrk » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:21 am

Mimetic Digitalis handles most of the requirements. You can step through the sequence with buttons. There is also a "origin" button that resets the sequence to the first step, there is CV control for this as well. Really depends on how ergonomic you think adding all the pitch CVs with a single encoder is.

I have one. It's great for random sequences. And i like using the other channels for stepped modulation.

helix
Wiggling with Experience

Post by helix » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:15 am

I vouch for the ladik route. Endlessly expandable and reconfigurable with what ever your current needs are. I've got two lots of 180's + 2x knob expanders, one with the separate gate outs.

I usually run them at different clock speeds, can then either use one set to transpose the other, or just have multiple things going on. Plus they're cheap and relatively compact, and have tonnes of options in a small menu ((albeit annoying one as you need to hold a button when powering on)

ATW
Common Wiggler

Post by ATW » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:33 am

Arneb wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:26 am
The A-151 out is now a four-step sequence with values determined by the Quadratt knob positions, i.e. the Quadratt-A151 combo acts as a four-step CV sequencer.
Thank you for describing this :tu:

mkasthe
Common Wiggler

Post by mkasthe » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:55 am

xntrk wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:21 am
Mimetic Digitalis handles most of the requirements. You can step through the sequence with buttons. There is also a "origin" button that resets the sequence to the first step, there is CV control for this as well. Really depends on how ergonomic you think adding all the pitch CVs with a single encoder is.

I have one. It's great for random sequences. And i like using the other channels for stepped modulation.
Mimetic Digitalis is a total workhorse and paired with a step sequencer / clock divider / logic gates you can create interesting sub-patterns patterns by leveraging the individual step inputs (x,y,origin, random).
I just abuse the "shred" (randomize) functions to create basslines on the fly and it's great for that.
Ricky Tinez had a couple videos where he uses that module to create random melodies on the fly.

Only downside I see in this module is that all the 4 sequences move in lockstep so you either dig deep in programming the different sequences, if you're interested in driving multiple pitch-related sequences, or you use one for pitch and others for stepped modulation. It also has a function to randomize between an octave, that could be useful for modulation so that you don't have voltages going all over the place (though outputs are in 0-5V range).

Totally recommend this module!
Made in Italy and exported to NYC
Instagram: The Analog Kid

Bubbles
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Bubbles » Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:17 pm

On June 25, 2020, Perfect Circuit is hosting a live demo on Sequencing with Clocks and Difital Logic via YouTube. It might be of interest:

Return to “Eurorack Modules”