Mungo Enterprises c1, convolution, delay, sampler

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Mungo Enterprises c1, convolution, delay, sampler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:13 am

oneiric.tomb wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:32 am
commenting to stay updated on the thread! Consider me interested!
You can just click on the Tool option and click subscribe.
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

Buttons ARE toys
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Buttons ARE toys » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:08 am

Anybody got more sound demos of this beautiful device? I won't be able to get one of my own for a while but I'd love to hear more from it in the interim.
Astronomical Dusk - a web radio show of synthetic delights and collected oddities. Airs monthly at astronomical dusk.

feelingthin
Learning to Wiggle

Post by feelingthin » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:45 pm

I have the new C1 but I’m not getting any audio out of it. Any ideas? Never had so much trouble with a module.

FatRocky
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by FatRocky » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:00 pm

feelingthin wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:45 pm
I have the new C1 but I’m not getting any audio out of it. Any ideas? Never had so much trouble with a module.
Ask John (Mungo) in a PM. It may be something simple to solve

desolationjones
Wiggling with Experience

Post by desolationjones » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:39 pm

feelingthin wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:45 pm
Common issue. Mungo settings have extreme ranges; in your case it's likely sample rate or gain too low. I made a brief video for a new c0 user which might help you out.

feelingthin
Learning to Wiggle

Post by feelingthin » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:54 am

Got it! John replied to an email, and it was an issue with the zoom. You're not kidding about the massive range. Now that I have the hang of it, I think the zoom is very useful. The C1 is incredible!

feelingthin
Learning to Wiggle

Post by feelingthin » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:13 pm

Also, I am not seeing any latency when using the live convolution. Running drums and bass through it yields nice results. It’s like a vocoder but better. Using the instruo tanh and a mixer is essential for the delay effect. If anyone is on the fence about buying it, I say go for it. I haven’t tried loading samples yet, so I imagine my admiration will grow. It’s expensive but next level.

Jaypee
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jaypee » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:18 pm

Demos or it didn't happen :)
"Those aren't your daddy's waveforms " Cynthia Webster

DeltaTucanae
Common Wiggler

Post by DeltaTucanae » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:32 pm

Yeah, would love to hear some more demos on this.

Mungo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Mungo » Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:35 am

Added some examples on the website:
http://mungo.com.au/c1.html
Showing the continuous range of different sounds the length of the live convolution kernel has, and using the same length control to adjust the cutoff of a boxcar filter.

DeltaTucanae
Common Wiggler

Post by DeltaTucanae » Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:11 pm

Mungo wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:35 am
Added some examples on the website:
http://mungo.com.au/c1.html
Showing the continuous range of different sounds the length of the live convolution kernel has, and using the same length control to adjust the cutoff of a boxcar filter.
Thanks john!

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase » Sat May 23, 2020 8:58 am

got mine on the way and could not be more excited.
does it come loaded with IRs?
i plan on customizing but ive got very little idea how best to use those 16 wav files

ill have some reverbs definitely, but thinking i need a few good instrument IRs... cello, violin, trumpet, trombone...
any other suggestions from anyone with specific experience maybe?
Last edited by damase on Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

desolationjones
Wiggling with Experience

Post by desolationjones » Sat May 23, 2020 11:08 am

damase wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 8:58 am
It comes with an empty SD card. There's a an old topic here with some IR ready to use for the c0; they will work fine with the c1 too. The difference between c0 and c1 is the allowed sample length has increased to 49k samples from 12k, and you can load 16 WAVs instead of 10.

I haven't actually loaded any up since I got mine! Exploring the new live convolution and sampling options has kept me busy. I'd like to eventually craft some custom IRs using filter banks + H9 reverb, etc.

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase » Sat May 23, 2020 11:13 am

desolationjones wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 11:08 am
damase wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 8:58 am
It comes with an empty SD card. There's a an old topic here with some IR ready to use for the c0; they will work fine with the c1 too. The difference between c0 and c1 is the allowed sample length has increased to 49k samples from 12k, and you can load 16 WAVs instead of 10.

I haven't actually loaded any up since I got mine! Exploring the new live convolution and sampling options has kept me busy. I'd like to eventually craft some custom IRs using filter banks + H9 reverb, etc.
perfect, stuff from timoka i know is good ideas...
but yea the increased sample size means ill certainly be making/finding some new ones but the ideas are what i need. ill maybe make a few new ones from my m7, be happy to share... although the real beauty the m7 is the pristine stereo image so it might be underwhelming

the filter banks IR is interesting, not quite sure i would use it as much as an instrument body but i should at least tryit

Granny
Common Wiggler

Post by Granny » Sat May 23, 2020 11:31 am

sorry if this has been asked before, but does the new c1 need the zoom module and if yes, where would i buy it? also, are there any mungo sellers in europe? schneider got rid of all their mungo stuff some some time ago…

desolationjones
Wiggling with Experience

Post by desolationjones » Sat May 23, 2020 12:14 pm

Yes you need a zoom switch. All Mungo modules can be bought directly from John by email. The zoom switch is like $15 or something.

Estes
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Estes » Sun May 24, 2020 2:59 am

Guys keep me updated on this if you can post more demos please.

desolationjones
Wiggling with Experience

Post by desolationjones » Sun May 24, 2020 8:53 am

Estes wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 2:59 am
Guys keep me updated on this if you can post more demos please.
Ok I'll record some today... What do you want to hear

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:00 am

finally got mine, i had no clue how much i needed this kind of convolution in my life. took me a full solid day of messing around to really get a grip how it works, since ive only ever used convolution as static reverb plugins... and another few hours to find and cut the IRs i wanted... but it was very worth it. Going to go back and re-record some in 192k, because the sample frequency seems to be very important to finding the sweet spots.

Can anyone give me some clues as to how to use the clock input when in convolution mode? I was hoping it would take my oscillator’s input and track pitch alongside but anything i stick in there seems to have unexpected effect.

also could use some ideas for how to use the live convolution

desolationjones
Wiggling with Experience

Post by desolationjones » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:51 am

I recorded a live convolution demo but wasn't satisfied with the video; I'll try again this weekend. Some of my most fun live convo demo patches:
* rhythmic delay with euclidean beats (short triggers as impulses)
* fake IRs from Rings
* feedback patch with Resonant EQ

RE: Clock - The frequency modulation of the sampler and convolution should track the clock input at a ratio set by the frequency knob and input. It's always tricky to dial in pitch tracking on Mungo modules, and it's even a bit trickier here because your kernel duration will change based on the sampling rate.

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:16 am

desolationjones wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:51 am

RE: Clock - The frequency modulation of the sampler and convolution should track the clock input at a ratio set by the frequency knob and input. It's always tricky to dial in pitch tracking on Mungo modules, and it's even a bit trickier here because your kernel duration will change based on the sampling rate.
Thanks very much, i feel a bit lost on the description but i can tell the info is there i just need to comb through it a bit and apply it. Ill check it out more right now
im getting an infinity of great sounds without proper tracking too btw but still if you dont mind...

what would you say the easiest way to dial in proper pitch tracking?
what is some examples of other various use cases in your opinion for the clock input during convolution?

also i really look forward to your demo! the possibilities here are just massive and i find it quite inspiring

desolationjones
Wiggling with Experience

Post by desolationjones » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:39 am

The easiest (and perhaps most useful) mode for clock tracking is actually the bit bucket delay. You'd just feed in a clock and adjust the frequency knob until your echoes were of your desired division. Bear in mind that the ratios are continuous rather than discrete, so it is a bit tricky to get the timing perfect.

In the convolution mode, I might feed a very short trigger to use the c1 as a sample player (longer triggers will act like a low pass). Then monitor c1 and your clocking VCO and adjust frequency knob until sample pitch matches your VCO pitch.

I'll have to get in front of my modular later to answer more thoroughly.

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:31 am

ok thank you, your suggestion is basically what i was thinking for dialing in the frequency. Ill just have to dial it in perfectly and then save it as a program change.
the clock input is still mysterious to me!(in convolution mode) but i do get cool stuff messing around with it so ill continue to do so

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase » Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:34 am

ok so after another full dedicated day of playing with it and trying out samples, i conclude that there is not one ‘best’ sample rate to use for your IR. This may be as you expect, but took me to try it.... If you use a higher sample rate, your sample has more fidelity/range within the sample frequency control, but you also have less of a ‘tail’ to work with if your material has a lot of space between it. at 48k we get a full second of IR time which is quite a blessing for keeping the tails in tact, and its still a very good sound. When you lower the frequency on this you extend that tail into a super long, lush ‘reverb’ type sound... it gets lo-fi in such a nice way.

in a weird way, i think this module satisfies me for lots of sounds i got from other certain unrelated modules that i ended up selling. A weird way of filtering, combining sounds, resonating, and spatializing all in one. And i finally have a reverb module that feels very reactive in the modular.

c1 :zen:

Mungo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Mungo » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:19 am

Possibly the only confusion with the pitch tracking input is that it "holds" the frequency of the signal that was driving it once it has been disconnected. Otherwise its simply another way to shift the frequency of the sampling/convolution, every doubling of the frequency at the clock input doubles the operating frequency of the module (or any other relative change so they follow in pitch).

For some more things that only this module can do, here is a collection impulses from 7 different low pass filter types:
http://mungo.com.au/Doc/impulseLPF.zip
Instead of just different slopes of filter these are different forms of lowpass filter. They are ordered with increasing steepness at the cutoff:
Filters.png
and have different stop band patterns ordered so they can be cycled though on the module.

Due to the way the convolution/buffer/bucket-brigade is filled they have really sparkling aliasing when the frequency is modulated, creating entirely new type of effects.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”