Prophet-600: Technical question about fuses

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

zammotaylor
Learning to Wiggle

Prophet-600: Technical question about fuses

Post by zammotaylor » Sat May 23, 2020 12:49 pm

Not sure if this is the right place -- but thanks for any ideas:

I live in Paris, France (220V) and I have a Prophet-600. In the manual it says it is wired for both 220V and 110V countries, but I should change the fuse depending on the country.

It says this:

110V 1 / 2A, slo-blo
220V 1 / 4A, slo-blo

Does this mean for 220V it needs a one quarter amp fuse, or a four amp fuse? Should I be raising or lowering the Amps in the fuse if the voltage doubles? Excuse my ignorance on this.

Thanks for any answers and best of health.

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Prophet-600: Technical question about fuses

Post by KSS » Sat May 23, 2020 1:19 pm

1/4 Amp for 220V

1/2 Amp for 110V
-----------------------------------
To self-check, the products of the two terms should equal. 1/4 of 220 is 55. 1/2 of 110 is also 55. They equal, so it's correct.
They're equal because your synth draws the same POWER, whether it's plugged into 220 or 110 volts.

4 times 220 is 880. 2 times 110 is 220. not the same, so it's a wrong answer.
------------------------------------
It's all based on Ohms law.

A really easy way to learn and remember this is to imagine a Vulture flying above a Rabbit and a Man, who happens to be an American, or Armenian.Or from any country starting with "A"

There you have the V for Volts, the R for Resistance, and the A for Amps. There are three different equations for Ohms law, and the mental picture here solves all three. Just consider the view from the perspective of what you need to know.

If Volts, picture the Vulture flying above the Man and rabbit. Vulture sees the American and Rabbit next to each other. V=AR. Volts = A times R.
If Resistance, take it from the Rabbits points of view. Rabbit sees the Vulture over the American. R= Volts over Amps. R=V/A
If Amps is what you need, use the viewpoint of the Man. American sees the Vulture over the Rabbit. A= Volts over Resistance. A=V/R.
------------------------------------
People in electronics use E for volts, I for Amps, and R for resistance. The picture story still works.
But now it's an Eagle flying over a Rabbit and a man from India. Or any other country that begins with "I".
E=IR
R=E/I
I=E/R
Last edited by KSS on Sat May 23, 2020 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Prophet-600: Technical question about fuses

Post by KSS » Sat May 23, 2020 1:21 pm

And Welcome to Muffwiggler, zammotaylor!

Return to “General Gear”