Behringer: practices, ethics, morals and legitimacy.

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

missingtwin
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Behringer: practices, ethics, morals and legitimacy.

Post by missingtwin » Sat May 23, 2020 3:29 am

everydaycurry wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 11:19 pm
I'm a "small business owner" and basically want to hang myself if I have to spend any time with fellow business owners, they love all this business school jargon.
Whew. It’s rough. I’m in the same boat. “So, what’s top of mind for you this quarter?” Right now it’s placing this fork 3” into your eye socket.

tehyar
I dream in SciFi

Post by tehyar » Sat May 23, 2020 8:10 am

Corpspeak is practically a social disease. What’s the ask here? We should get to solutioning.

3hands
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 3hands » Sat May 23, 2020 12:20 pm

Shledge wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 7:59 pm
I just wish they didn't resort to greasy tactics (and arguably anti-semitic) because journalists were critical of them - they were on a good run with their synths and that alone speaks for itself, they were starting to change people's minds slowly but surely.

At that point I couldn't defend them any longer.

What anti Semitic things are you seeing? Not calling you out, I simply haven’t seen anything.
Gum is fun, but not on a cat.

My minds an art gallery.

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Sat May 23, 2020 12:31 pm

3hands wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 12:20 pm
What anti Semitic things are you seeing? Not calling you out, I simply haven’t seen anything.
Peter Kirn Corksniffer video Behringer posted was seen by some as having this. Others did not see it the same way.
Many did agree that either way, it was still bad form on Behringer's part.

Plenty of talk about it on other forums. Best not add to that here.
Last edited by KSS on Sat May 23, 2020 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Sat May 23, 2020 12:35 pm

ricko wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:12 pm
...If every smaller vendor made sure each module had at least one little extra distinguishing feature, not just vanilla box-tick re-hashes, they might be less threatened by Behringer's attack of the clones.
badda bing. thread done. and there it is .... beautifully articulated. well said. :tu:
You mean this place has hot chicks, morning drinking, and free vomit? ... I'm all in!
5U PROJECT - (skip pages 4 through 6, boring junk) ... viewtopic.php?t=78836&highlight=
Never Quit, Die Falling Forward

thispoison
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thispoison » Sat May 23, 2020 1:17 pm

KSS wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 12:31 pm
3hands wrote:
Peter Kirn Corksniffer video Behringer posted was seen by some as having this. Others did not see it the same way.

To be fair, people see what they want to see in terms of the visuals. bad form aside, visually I just saw this
iu.jpeg
and this.....
behringer-cork.jpg
I may have been very wrong of course, but I still think it was just a naive attempt at humour.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Where have I seen you before?
Same place you saw me, I expect.
I've got a good face for memories.

https://soundcloud.com/thispoison-1

Shledge
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Shledge » Sat May 23, 2020 1:25 pm

3hands wrote:
Shledge wrote:
I just wish they didn't resort to greasy tactics (and arguably anti-semitic) because journalists were critical of them - they were on a good run with their synths and that alone speaks for itself, they were starting to change people's minds slowly but surely.

I don't wish to discuss it on here for obvious reasons, but it was a point of discussion (and contention) for quite a few people. Still really bad form even if it wasn't.

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Sat May 23, 2020 1:40 pm

Shledge wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 1:25 pm
3hands wrote:
Shledge wrote:

I don't wish to discuss it on here for obvious reasons, but it was a point of discussion (and contention) for quite a few people. Still really bad form even if it wasn't.
... what the hell man!?!? then why did you bring it up? kinda like a reporter on TV saying "we won't discuss your divorce (or whatever) in this interview" ... oh really? ... YA JUST DID!!! if you're going to publicly sling that kinda shit (accusing someone of anti-semitism), you'd better be prepared to actually articulate the incident or behavior you're asserting ... otherwise it's just empty slander and your credibility suffers for it. low blow bro.
You mean this place has hot chicks, morning drinking, and free vomit? ... I'm all in!
5U PROJECT - (skip pages 4 through 6, boring junk) ... viewtopic.php?t=78836&highlight=
Never Quit, Die Falling Forward

Shledge
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Shledge » Sat May 23, 2020 1:48 pm

I didn't accuse anyone of anything, just explaining what happened.

Shledge
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Shledge » Sat May 23, 2020 1:49 pm

KSS wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 12:31 pm
3hands wrote:

:agree:

22tape
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 22tape » Sat May 23, 2020 4:10 pm

I'm pretty sure I'm missing something but-- I've heard B's clones don't sound like their originals. This being the case, if a clone doesn't sound exactly like the original, what's the point?

I'm not talking about gear that's been "inspired by" other designs, where the maker made new contributions to, or put a spin on, the original design. I'm talking straight clones.

Blairio
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Blairio » Sat May 23, 2020 6:57 pm

Rex Coil 7 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 1:40 pm
Shledge wrote:
3hands wrote:
Shledge wrote:

... what the hell man!?!? then why did you bring it up? kinda like a reporter on TV saying "we won't discuss your divorce (or whatever) in this interview" ... oh really? ... YA JUST DID!!! if you're going to publicly sling that kinda shit (accusing someone of anti-semitism), you'd better be prepared to actually articulate the incident or behavior you're asserting ... otherwise it's just empty slander and your credibility suffers for it. low blow bro.
[Pedantic]
I think threads like this should start with a set of definitions. It won't make them any less tedious, but at least everyone will use the right terms.

Defamation provides a civil remedy when one's Reputation or Business Interests have been damaged.

Under Defamation law, you have Slander and you have Libel. The first involves defamatory speech, while the second involves defamatory text or imagery.

Libel is more 'tangible', as it employs a physical representation, as in printed (even electronically printed) or graphic content.
[/Pedantic]

Shledge
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Shledge » Sat May 23, 2020 7:03 pm

It's not slander to point out exactly that some people found it anti-semitic. I didn't want to discuss it further as mods would zerg rush in with the NO POLITICS! hammer.

It's bad taste regardless. I don't believe companies should have such fragile egos over criticism - Behringer could have easily had dialogue to clear things up or sort any problems. Attacking journalists is extremely bad PR.
Last edited by Shledge on Sat May 23, 2020 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shledge
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Shledge » Sat May 23, 2020 7:06 pm

22tape wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 4:10 pm
I'm pretty sure I'm missing something but-- I've heard B's clones don't sound like their originals. This being the case, if a clone doesn't sound exactly like the original, what's the point?

I'm not talking about gear that's been "inspired by" other designs, where the maker made new contributions to, or put a spin on, the original design. I'm talking straight clones.
A lot of them do sound pretty spot on. They're definitely not "inspired by" clones! I've been pretty impressed with my Boog and remain so.

Frankly you have Midas to thank for it, they're behind a lot of the clones.

Blairio
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Blairio » Sat May 23, 2020 8:40 pm

:guinness:
Shledge wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 7:06 pm
Yup, it seems like everything they touch turns to gold.

3hands
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 3hands » Sat May 23, 2020 10:06 pm

Shledge wrote:
3hands wrote:
Shledge wrote:

Please PM me then.
Gum is fun, but not on a cat.

My minds an art gallery.

strettara
mufferthucker

Post by strettara » Sat May 23, 2020 11:55 pm

More importantly than all this nonsense about nothing, Rex Coil 7 is back :party: I read about your health issues, hope you're doing OK or at least better.
"Music is man, described to man, in the language of things."
"A tape is interesting when it's an interesting tape."
"It must be abstract. It must change. It must give pleasure."

New EP: étude @ strettara.bandcamp

Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave

Post by Voltcontrol » Tue May 26, 2020 11:21 am

Blairio wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 8:40 pm
:guinness:
Shledge wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 7:06 pm
Yup, it seems like everything they touch turns to gold.
:party: :hihi: :party:

rplktr
Common Wiggler

Post by rplktr » Tue May 26, 2020 4:00 pm

thispoison wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 1:17 pm
To be fair, people see what they want to see in terms of the visuals. bad form aside, visually I just saw this

Note that this photo in such thumbnail form might be misleading. What might look as part of the nose is just a body color mic.
Screenshot 2020-05-26 22.50.58.png
All in all, for me personally this entire thing damaged the brand reputation to the point where it wouldn't feel right to showcase their equipment. And it wasn't just one incident but rather a domino. By now the blatant copying of designs old and new is a cliché. When we don't like a new release from any manufacturer, we say "just wait for the B copy, smiley face". But the Devil Fish scandal showed the truly ugly side of it.

Life is too short to support jerks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Procrastination is the soul rebelling against entrapment.

Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave

Post by Voltcontrol » Tue May 26, 2020 4:31 pm

rplktr wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 4:00 pm
the Devil Fish scandal showed the truly ugly side of it.

Had not read this before. Everyone commenting here should be aware of this.

22tape
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 22tape » Tue May 26, 2020 4:43 pm

Does Uli have original designs in his catalogue? If so, who is going to start a company that clones his original designs and bring them to market? Obviously it'd be a venture motivated by principle rather than profit (which means it probably would never happen), but It would be hilarious to see.

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Tue May 26, 2020 4:56 pm

Voltcontrol wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 4:31 pm
rplktr wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 4:00 pm
the Devil Fish scandal showed the truly ugly side of it.

Had not read this before. Everyone commenting here should be aware of this.
It's already in this thread. We talked about when it was fresh news.

Blairio
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Blairio » Tue May 26, 2020 8:58 pm

That's the tantalising thing about this thread, it consumes itself on a regular basis - like a dog returning to its vomit.

Shledge
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Shledge » Tue May 26, 2020 9:59 pm

3hands wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 10:06 pm
Shledge wrote:
3hands wrote:
Shledge wrote:

Please PM me then.
I don't see how pointing out a summary of what happened warrants PMing. If you're asking for my views on the matter or implying I am - a) I personally want to describe the situation objectively instead and b) I didn't bloody imply anything.

I've been in hot water over it in the past for being "political" (which seems to be incredibly wooly and inconsistent on MW, I'm aware saying that will annoy some mods but frankly it's how I honestly see it, I'd be much more direct if they stopped half of the fucking shite on a music orientated forum of all places, to be frank), so continuing talking about the whole topic of whether it was/wasn't anti-semitic, especially when it has been done to death in many places, is a very fast way to find out. Lets just say it was a shit move for Behringer to do regardless if it was offensive to jews or not.

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Wed May 27, 2020 3:49 am

Blairio wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 8:58 pm
That's the tantalising thing about this thread, it consumes itself on a regular basis - like a dog returning to its vomit.
Sometimes. But as with all things internet, it's also due to new arrivals who haven't read every post, and so don't have knowledge or context.

Really, it's true for more than the internet. More a general human condition. New people arriving at an understanding their forebears also thought was 'novel'. Older you get, the more you see it.

Longer on a forum, or in a field of work or experience, the more you see it too.

Back on topic, Behringer isn't doing anything new.

Return to “General Gear”