DROID Universal CV processor

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

Der Mann mit der Maschine
Common Wiggler

Re: DROID Universal CV processor

Post by Der Mann mit der Maschine » Thu May 14, 2020 1:00 pm

KittenVillage wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 12:27 pm
I'm curious if there are any plans for pcb/panel diy builds? Hope I'm not rude in asking, it's just that's more my jam.

The manual is indeed quite amazing.
I thought about that as well. The PCBs would be populated with all the tiny SMD parts anyway, so the build is probably not too complicated, especially for the G8 and P2B8. Ordering unpopulated PBCs wouldn't make too much sense, since you would maybe save a couple of euros there but the actual parts (BOM) would get more expensive. When ordering populated PCBs you usually get very good prices for the parts.

I will not promise something here, but also not rule out that idea 8-)

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase » Thu May 14, 2020 1:46 pm

Clumsy wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 12:07 pm
Each to their own, I guess. Personally I'd find typing out a text file quicker and more precise than fiddling around with virtual knobs and patch cables.
correct as a personal thing i absolutely hate troubleshooting computer issues so im the harder sell for this type of thing anyway :)

my experience is only from ES FH-1/FH-2
when fh-1 first came out, you had to type code (i think?). i just remember spending literally hours one night trying to make the code i wanted work, it was such a hassle i never changed config
after a while ES added the web GUI, made the module so much easier and able to use the cooler functions
with FH-2 added the USB port and host, an incredible leap in ease of use for me. 20 seconds now to hop online, upload my config, change it, load it back. no usb transfer stick or midi interface getting in the way. love the FH-2

theres just so much flexibility and options with these kind of modules its very easy to mess up a config no matter how its done, so to me having a fast way to make adjustments allows the concept to thrive.

sorry, i was trying to avoid comparison as i know the modules operate differently, i just cant help but draw from that experience

Lokua
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Lokua » Thu May 14, 2020 5:49 pm

This looks right up my alley except for the SD card mechanism. Is there any way the programmer port could be used to read / write to the card so we can skip the whole eject/load sequence?

Common Wiggler

Post by Der Mann mit der Maschine » Mon May 18, 2020 3:01 am

Hey guys, I know that some USB connection, a programmer, whatever, could save some time in the workflow. And maybe in some future day this will happen. But I've decided for the SD card approach for several important reasons. The most important of these is that that way no additional software is needed. No driver software. No programming software. No special editor. This ensures not only that the DROID can be used with any current operating system, but also with any future operating system.

I happily expect the DROIDs that are produced now to be still in use in 10 years from now, or even 20. Some of the synth gear hanging around in your studio is much older. Guess you would need a special software for MS-DOS and a PC from the 80'ies in order to use it ;)

Another advantage of the SD card approach is that in a live situation you can easily have a copy of such a card with you, for as a replacement. Also it is super fast to move your DROID patch from one DROID to the other. Simply swap the card and press the button.

StoneAgeOfTheFuture
Common Wiggler

Post by StoneAgeOfTheFuture » Thu May 21, 2020 11:51 pm

I'm currently trying to plan ahead with how I might want to structure my DROID patches. I probably got a lot of this wrong, and I have lots of questions, so I'm looking forward to learning how to properly write this. I'm just getting started and I'll be refining, and adding.
Here's my first attempt at 5 button assignments on one P2B8.

Also, I'm trying to find a way to color-code this text with Coda or another text editor. Any suggestions?

Code: Select all

[p2b8]

# SELECT SEQUENCER WITH BUTTON 1
[switch] # Pitch
	button = B1.1
	input = I1
	output1 = L1.1
	output2 = O1

[switch] # Gate
	button = B1.1
	input = I5
	output1 = L1.1
	output2 = O5

# SELECT SINFONION ARP WITH BUTTON 2
[switch] # Pitch
	button = B1.2
	input = I2
	output1 = L1.2
	output2 = O1

[switch] # Gate
	button = B1.2
	input = I6
	output1 = L1.2
	output2 = O5

# SELECT RIBBON CONTROLLER WITH BUTTON 3
[switch] # Pitch
	button = B1.3
	input = I3
	output1 = L1.3
	output2 = O1

[switch] # Gate
	button = B1.3
	input = I7
	output1 = L1.3
	output2 = O5

# SELECT TURING MACHINE WITH BUTTON 4
[algoquencer]
	clock = G1
	reset = G2
	button = B1.4
	morph = P1.1
	dejavu = P1.2
	pitch = O1
	output1 = L1.4
	output = O5 # not sure if this is how you send the gate with aloquencer.

# SELECT EUCLIDIAN RHYTHM GENERATOR WITH BUTTON 5
[euklid]
	clock = G1
	reset = G2
	input = I2 # pitch from arp?  How else would I assign a pitch to each note?
	beats = P1.1 * 15 + 1
	length = P1.2 * 63 + 1
	pitch = O1
	output1 = L1.5
	output2 = O5 # not sure if this is how you send the gate with euklid.

Common Wiggler

Post by Der Mann mit der Maschine » Tue May 26, 2020 2:09 am

Hi,

could you describe what exactly you are trying to achive with the patch? Then I can have a look and maybe suggest an easier alternative...
Please also look at the circuits togglebutton and buttongroup.

With buttongroup you can group up to eight buttons into one group so that at any time always exactly one is being selected.
If you press one of the buttons all others will be deselected.

Here is an example where at I1, I2 and I3 you attach the V/Oct output of three sequencers.
At I5, I6 and I7 you attach their according gate outputs.

With the buttons 1, 3 and 5 you can select the V/Oct sourse, with 2, 4 and 6 the gate source
(independently!) And the result is output at O1 (V/Oct) and O2 (Gate).

Please note that in the latest version in buttongroup output1 ... output8 have been renamed to led1 ... led8.

[p2b8]

# Switch pitch with buttons 1, 3 and 5
[buttongroup]
    button1 = B1.1
    button2 = B1.3
    button3 = B1.5
    led1    = L1.1
    led2    = L1.3
    led3    = L1.5
    value1  = I1
    value2  = I2
    value3  = I3
    output  = O1

# Switch gates with buttons 2, 4 and 6
[buttongroup]
    button1 = B1.2
    button2 = B1.4
    button3 = B1.6
    button4 = B1.8
    led1    = L1.2
    led2    = L1.4
    led3    = L1.6
    led4    = L1.8
    value1  = I5
    value2  = I6
    value3  = I7
    output  = O2
Of ourse now you could replace some of the inputs with internal sources like euclidean or algoquencer.

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Tue May 26, 2020 1:56 pm

I see the clocktool in the documentation, and I see the contour has some clock-relative timing features. Would it be possible to create a routing where, on a button press, Droid calculates the duration remaining in a bar, and spaws a contour with the necessary Attack to complete its rise at the exact end of the bar? (I think you can imagine where I’m going with this.)

Common Wiggler

Post by Der Mann mit der Maschine » Wed May 27, 2020 9:43 am

mdoudoroff wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 1:56 pm
I see the clocktool in the documentation, and I see the contour has some clock-relative timing features. Would it be possible to create a routing where, on a button press, Droid calculates the duration remaining in a bar, and spaws a contour with the necessary Attack to complete its rise at the exact end of the bar? (I think you can imagine where I’m going with this.)
Interesting idea! So basically you would have something like this, maybe a special circuit:

[future]
    clock   = I1
    trigger = I2
    output  = O1
Clock would define the length of a bar (could be supported by clocktool of course, if clock dividing is neccessary). And trigger would start a ramp which starts at 0 and ends at 1 exactly at the next clock.
This would require a steady clock, of course.

A couple of extra inputs would jump into my mind:

[future]
    clock = I1
    trigger = I2
    output = O1
    idlevalue = 0.5
    startvalue = 0
    endvalue = 1
Here output would hang around at 0.5 until a trigger comes. It would be set to 0 (startvalue) and ramp up to 1 (endvalue). At the next clock it goes back to 0.5.

Could be a nice little new circuit. Do you have an idea for a good naming?

By the way: If you do not want a linear progression you can process output with other circuits and transform it to some other curve. And if you do not like a hard edge at the end of the ramp you could feed the output through a slew circuit for slew limiting.
Last edited by Der Mann mit der Maschine on Thu May 28, 2020 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Wed May 27, 2020 10:02 am

Not sure about a name. Basically, it’s a way to trigger an interesting bridge or transition into another song part (e.g., open a VCA to swell something).

What I have in mind, overall, is a set of buttons, each assigned to a song part (A, B, C, D). When you press a button, a number of voltages change across various jacks. Some of these voltages might change instantly, or some might slew up or down. It would be slick to be able to press one of these buttons so that all the change is queued to happen at the end of the bar, or in some cases, happen immediately and conclude at the end of the bar. It would be slick if the slewing could be in terms of beats or bars. Together, it is a time-sensitive macro sequencer for “conducting” the modular through 2-4 very distinct musical sections without the whole thing being rigidly sequenced.

This seems like a potential application for Droid, since I don’t think it’s something you have to reconfigure all that much. The clock determines the bar. Various outputs go high or low based on that information. You mult those outputs, attenuate, mix, slew, patch them wherever you want to produce macro changes in your patch. There isn’t really a good way to do this anywhere else in Eurorack, right now.

Arneb
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Arneb » Wed May 27, 2020 10:09 am

Just call it Uber Schleußig :mrgreen:

Dark Barn
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Dark Barn » Wed May 27, 2020 12:31 pm

‘Easy Riser’
I’ve been searchin’ for the dolphins in the sea

The Weak in Review - podcast in ((poetic_stere0)) Spotify YouTube

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:15 am

Nice video, as usual.

Question: in your live system, have you found that you generally configure the Droid and then leave it that way, or do you find yourself swapping out configurations frequently?

Since there’s no labeling other than numbers (and not much space for tape), I’m thinking swapping out configurations a lot could get confusing (what is output 5 doing?! I forget!)

aragorn23
Common Wiggler

Post by aragorn23 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:55 am

Der Mann mit der Maschine wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 12:57 pm
Clumsy wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 12:07 pm
Maybe the best of both worlds would be if someone were to write a program that supplies a GUI that generates a DROID text file, perhaps combined with a simulator, as mdoudoroff suggested, which at least checks the result for errors.
I indeed had the very same idea! And this shouldn't be too difficult to do, too. It's just that I for myself rather invest my time in creating cool new circuits than in a graphical user interface, which can be very time consuming. But if anyone would like to do this I'd gladly support him or her. Could be a nice open source project.
I just discovered this module now and I'm quite excited - I've been looking for something very similar for a while! My day job is web design and I'd be happy to try my hand out at a GUI.

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:58 am

A good place to host config snippets, get answers, and swap and archive scripts, might be more useful than a GUI.

Common Wiggler

Post by Der Mann mit der Maschine » Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:00 am

mdoudoroff wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:15 am
Nice video, as usual.

Question: in your live system, have you found that you generally configure the Droid and then leave it that way, or do you find yourself swapping out configurations frequently?

Since there’s no labeling other than numbers (and not much space for tape), I’m thinking swapping out configurations a lot could get confusing (what is output 5 doing?! I forget!)
Hi Martin,

Q1: I change the patch a couple of times until I have it the way I like it. And then it stays like it is for a long time. Sometimes, after some music makeing, I tweak a bit or try a new idea.

Q2: I found stickers with 8mm diameter which are perfect for sticking on the buttons. And there I write some abbreviations - as you can guess from some scenes in the video. Maybe I add some of the stickers to every package ;)

mvdirty
Common Wiggler

Post by mvdirty » Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:28 am

Mathias, I was really happy to see that video appear when I launched YouTube this morning, and am very much looking forward to pricing and availability information when the time is right.

I’ve really enjoyed learning about things, the Sinfonion as a definite example, by having both a great manual for reference and a video series for when my brain is in a different learning mode. So, as much as you’re likely to see me often pointing various people toward your manuals, please do keep the videos coming!

pekbro
Common Wiggler

Post by pekbro » Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:35 pm

Where can we get one of these, when it becomes available anyway? Thx...

aragorn23
Common Wiggler

Post by aragorn23 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:11 am

mdoudoroff wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:58 am
A good place to host config snippets, get answers, and swap and archive scripts, might be more useful than a GUI.
Definitely. In fact an online script library could also be easily implemented into a GUI. I see this as being a very useful feature of this module - sharing scripts so people are not reinventing the wheel every time they want to set up their Droid. Something like this could even be worked into a GUI as a growing list of presets for each function.

disquiet
Common Wiggler

Post by disquiet » Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:22 pm

Just writing to express my interest in one of these when it comes out. I'd probably start with the main one on its own before venturing into the extenders, depending on cost.

If it hasn't been mentioned, one way to test scripts would be to have Droid available on VCV Rack. I'd certainly pay for a virtual module.

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:30 pm

disquiet wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:22 pm
Just writing to express my interest in one of these when it comes out. I'd probably start with the main one on its own before venturing into the extenders, depending on cost.
Seems like you’d typically want one Droid and one P2B8 (the knobs and buttons). You’d only add more P2B8s or G8s if you really needed them.

At some point, it probably makes more sense to start a second Droid rather than trying to cram too much into one.
disquiet wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:22 pm
If it hasn't been mentioned, one way to test scripts would be to have Droid available on VCV Rack. I'd certainly pay for a virtual module.
This is a very good idea. You could edit the config right there, live-ish. Nice tight development loop. Not a bunch of shuttling the SD card around.

LDT
The Modu-Lars

Post by LDT » Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:40 am

Wow, the Droid is a very interesting module indeed. In particular, because I basicly use my system as a fixed-patch performance instrument, and I tend to have rather specific ideas about what I want it to do.
There are two things, that come to my mind right away:
Firstly, I see an expansion module that has only knobs, e.g. a 4hp module with five knobs or maybe fours knobs and two buttons.
Secondly I wonder if you have considered midi input? Not on the front, but perhaps as a little standard pin bus on the back, like on the Distings. My whole system is harmonicly based on a single four note midi track, and midi is such a practical thing for polyphony.
In particular I have a hopefully not very far fetched dream, about having a quantizer, that will quantize cv to the nearest of notes that are currently present on its midi input. (I am still hoping that Os from Expert Sleepers will add this to either FH-2 or to Disting.)
But Droid could probably do this quite easily, if it had midi in. (And lots of other things based on midi.)

synkrotron
Ultra Wiggler

Post by synkrotron » Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:04 am

ETA?

Common Wiggler

Post by Der Mann mit der Maschine » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:37 am

Hi all, the current state is: First batch of 50 masters, 50 G8s and 200 P2B8s of PCBs arrived and work like a charm. I have enough of the remaining parts for a small first production for a beta phase, which will start in the next few weeks from now. If all goes well, at the end of summer the production of the first batch will begin.

I'll keep you informed!

mvdirty
Common Wiggler

Post by mvdirty » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:43 am

That is excellent news, Mathias. Thanks for the update!

Return to “Eurorack Modules”