DROID Universal CV processor

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., lisa

jwise
Wiggling with Experience

Re: DROID Universal CV processor

Post by jwise » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:20 pm

Removed
Last edited by jwise on Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

duridium
Learning to Wiggle

Post by duridium » Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:18 pm

Dear Mathias,
I know it's been asked a few times, but I seem to be missing the answer.
This module and its controllers look truly awesome and creatively inspiring.
Can you please provide estimated prices (give or take some Euros) for the different modules?
When will you provide pre-orders? Assuming, of course, price is announced.

Sincerely
Moshe

b9
Common Wiggler

Post by b9 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:51 pm

:guinness:
jwise wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:20 pm
Mathias, for what it's worth there's a conversation going on here in the States about Master/Slave and replacing it with Leader/Follower. Just an FYI.
My wife, who is a realtor, was just informed that the descriptor "master bedroom" can no longer be used in real estate listings. github has removed "master branch" from its platform, now that millions of lines of code and real estate lisings will have to be edited to satisfy the pc police can we leave this furry little niche of sound creation be? Also, thank you mathias for creating this module and programming lexicon. I think it's amazing and will be ordering one immediately after release.

mvdirty
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mvdirty » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:19 pm

EDIT: With jwise having removed his thread comment, I do not wish to unduly derail this thread with my reply regarding it. As such, I have removed the portions in response to it, aside from the below:

Mathias and others: stay focused and continue creating things you can share with the world.
Last edited by mvdirty on Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jwise
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jwise » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:39 pm

Removed

mvdirty
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mvdirty » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:47 pm

jwise wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:39 pm
Well, it wasn't my intention to rile up anyone. I'll kindly bow out of this.
For what it is worth, I have not made, and will continue to avoid making, any assumptions about your intentions in bringing that subject into this thread. You might be an advocate, you might just have been providing a neutral heads-up, who knows. It is not my place to assume or judge either way.

I was tempted to mention the above specifically in my reply and should have done so in order to avoid any confusion in that regard. I can only hope that this addendum will prove fit for purpose.

southberry
Wiggling with Experience

Post by southberry » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:46 pm

Really excited by this module and its pot / button expander. It will be perfect for my restricted live set-up / travelling instrument. I have many voices in 4x80HP and someday you need a pair of lfo, someday two more quantizer etc .... this module can be the perfect "swiss knife" and more ...
the way you program it = a source of creation and inspiration.
The key will be the price but also the depth in my case. Crossing finger for a 25mm deep module like most of digital one ...

it's one .ini file per SD card ?
maybe it was asked in this tread or I can find it in the beta manual but will it be possible to put many .ini file on a SD card and load/pick them via a pot button combo ? I imagine a kind of meta mode is impossible ? (but it could turn it into a war module)

Neo
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Neo » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:02 pm

A 5 pot 4 hp expander would be perfect for me

Arneb
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Arneb » Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:00 am

removed

a_b_d
Common Wiggler

Post by a_b_d » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:54 am

I'm with jwise on this. If the language can be changed at this point, I would like to see that happen.

Clumsy
A Can of Worms

Post by Clumsy » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:47 am

I'd prefer that when I get a notification of a new post to this thread it had something to do with the modules.

Anyway, I had an idea for a circuit I'd like to see implemented. Call it a "Sequence Delay" or "Delayed Sample and Hold". The inputs are a clock, a trigger or gate and a CV value. When it receives a trigger it waits a specified number of clock pulses before sending out a copy of the trigger (or gate) and the CV value.

Arneb
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Arneb » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:40 pm

a_b_d wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:54 am
I'm with jwise on this. If the language can be changed at this point, I would like to see that happen.
Oh FFS, I had just convinced myself to let it go, but you'll insist, right? Let it not be said that SJWism was somehow "un-American", because suggesting replacing the master/slave terminology by "leader/follower" of all things, to a German developer of all people, is clearly the most American thing ever.

a_b_d
Common Wiggler

Post by a_b_d » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:57 pm

@arneb I'm sorry you took offense to my statement; tried to phrase it as neutrally as possible. This does relate directly to the module; instant buy for me if this change was implemented (though I'll probably buy anyway cuz it's amazing). I would really like to not see this thread derailed, but would like to advocate for what I feel is right. Your stance is clear; let's end it there.

Der Mann mit der Maschine
Common Wiggler

Post by Der Mann mit der Maschine » Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:58 am

Clumsy wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:47 am
I'd prefer that when I get a notification of a new post to this thread it had something to do with the modules.

Anyway, I had an idea for a circuit I'd like to see implemented. Call it a "Sequence Delay" or "Delayed Sample and Hold". The inputs are a clock, a trigger or gate and a CV value. When it receives a trigger it waits a specified number of clock pulses before sending out a copy of the trigger (or gate) and the CV value.
Hey, this is indeed a great idea! In fact I've recently implemented a trigger delay which works quite that way - also with an (optional) clocked mode. Except for the recorded CV. But that should be fairly easy to add. I'll put that on my list 8-)

Common Wiggler

BETA program

Post by Der Mann mit der Maschine » Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:36 am

Hi all,

I am looking for 4 beta testers for the DROID. The target is to find as many bugs or problems as possible before the module is shipped to the masses.

Note: Because of the current lockdown situation the program is limited to the European Union. I'm sorry for this, no discrimination is meant. But
I need a quick shipping and returning in case of troubles, and my latest experiance is a package to the USA stuck for more than one month now...

Here are the conditions:

1. You purchase a special bundle of one master, one G8 expander and two P2B8 controllers for a special price of 688,- EURO including VAT and shipping.

2. You will get this very soon, since the modules are already produced and ready for shipping.

3. You won't get a shiny box for your module. Just any old box I grab from my basement.

4. In the next couple of weeks you invest some reasonable amount of your valuable time in using the DROID in some actual patches, doing music, trying out things, having fun. This is the crucial part of all!

5. If you run into problems or bugs, I'll help you. Personally.

6. At any time it might be neccessary that you ship me back the modules since I need to do an upgrade of the bootloader, the P2B8 firmware or the hardware. I'll pay for that shipping in that case. We have a very good chance, however, that this will not be neccessary 8-)

7. All beta testers and myself will get into discussion via a private channel for a couple of weeks. I will listen to your questions, problems and ideas and we'll discuss all.

8. You instantly subscribe to my Youtube channel and tell at least 10 others to do so, as well :eek:

9. At any time you like, you can leave the beta program, ship me back my modules and get a 100% refund. But if you like the DROID you can keep it of course.

If you want to take part, please send me a private message. In case there are more then four willing to join, I'll decide upon completely bizar, unfair and intransparent principles :bang:

Cheers and thanks for helping me,

Mathias

XiXora
Common Wiggler

Post by XiXora » Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:58 am

Anytime that the EU comes up, I hurt inside.

Good luck with your beta test :)

Arneb
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Arneb » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:08 pm

One thing I'm wondering about, does the DROID do any anti-aliasing? I have some ideas involving trigger processing, in particular using the cvlooper circuit in my neverending lone quest for a good trigger looper to pair with Euclidean Circles and Variatic Sequent, but I'm a bit scared of an anti-aliasing LPF destroying my trigger stream.

(Sure, I've read upthread that trigger processing is more Teletype's domain, but from what I've seen I'm finding the DROID more accessible than the Teletype.)
mdoudoroff wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:58 am
A good place to host config snippets, get answers, and swap and archive scripts, might be more useful than a GUI.
Full agreement. In fact, @Mathias, I'd suggest contacting the Muffs admins to get you a DROID subforum down in that corporate subfora section. As a place for the DROID user community to meet and exchange experiences it could be pretty damn useful.

FrediBach
Learning to Wiggle

Post by FrediBach » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:44 am

Development on the patch editor has started. Mathias has been really helpful, so really no obstacles in the way of making this something really cool. It's very early, but here's a first draft of the editor:

Expect pretty much anything to change in small or big ways, even stuff like colors and the logo. ;-)

The basic idea is to create something that helps you out creating patches as much as possible. So no super fancy 3D Eurorack simulation with patch cables hanging around everywhere. Plan is to make this as functional, simple and user friendly as possible. As the order of circuits is very important, the patch graph is only a secondary function to get a better overview.

Everything will use two way bindings with immediate updates. If you change something in the code, the visual circuits will change immediately ... and the other way around, as well. And the editor will try to point out mistakes or your patch reaching certain limits like the amount of patch cables as much as possible.

You will be able to use the editor without any user account and if you don't want to share your patches, than they will not be saved anywhere online.

The project will be open source as soon as the beta phase starts ... whenever that will be.

I have a big list of ideas and features, but feel free to add your own ... and all your secret wishes of course. :party:

Common Wiggler

Post by Der Mann mit der Maschine » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:02 am

Fredi,

thanks for this first impression. The idea that you can both ways either type in the text file or use the graphical editor at the some time is awsome! It
also helps to learn the text syntax a lot. I'm really looking forward to the further development of this tool!

mvdirty
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mvdirty » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:15 am

FrediBach wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:44 am
Development on the patch editor has started.
Very nice. Thanks for getting things going!

Be sure to share a github link as soon as you’re comfortable. I’m sure a few of us will be eager to peek at the code, log issues, etc.

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:21 am

I think the overall approach to the editor sounds great—quite ambitious even. Bells and whistles are nice, but 99% of the value is just keeping things organized, documented-in-context, and making it hard for the user to create syntax errors. The one thing I would look out for is a way to make it clear what the net output range will be at any output given the preceding logic. It may be too early to know how important that information would actually be, but that’s where I anticipate the dragons of confusion might lurk, particularly for users who don’t have oscilloscopes handy to test with.

I am assuming there will be some sort of sharing component/library of patches (implied by the sidebar). Don’t underestimate the needs of this element like we did with WaveEdit Online. I think SynthTech was convinced there’d never be more than a few dozen banks to deal with. We’ve now over 600, there’s no way to communicate with the people submitting banks, there’s insufficient metadata with which to really organize the banks—it’s a nightmare! At least you won’t be saddled with a not-maintained software application!

FrediBach
Learning to Wiggle

Post by FrediBach » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:31 am

mvdirty wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:15 am
Be sure to share a github link as soon as you’re comfortable. I’m sure a few of us will be eager to peek at the code, log issues, etc.
Yes, will post the repo as soon as it makes sense. The tech stack will be React, Redux, Styled Components and Next.js, so whoever is comfortable with that is welcome to contribute. And for everyone else, report bugs, always helps a lot.
mdoudoroff wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:21 am
We’ve now over 600, there’s no way to communicate with the people submitting banks, there’s insufficient metadata with which to really organize the banks—it’s a nightmare! At least you won’t be saddled with a not-maintained software application!
Oh, I can imagine. The featured patches will be hand selected and searchable (haven't decided on categorising). And for everything else, each patch that is saved, will have a unique URL, so you can share it, for example on this forum.

mvdirty
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mvdirty » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:41 am

FrediBach wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:31 am
mvdirty wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:15 am
Yes, will post the repo as soon as it makes sense. The tech stack will be React, Redux, Styled Components and Next.js, so whoever is comfortable with that is welcome to contribute. And for everyone else, report bugs, always helps a lot.
I escaped from client-side development nearly a decade ago, and largely avoided it in the time before that, but I’m sure I’ll nonetheless find myself curious when the day comes.

PS - Riffing on Martin’s reply, and from reading between the lines of yours, I feel you’re wise to steer clear of hosting, cataloguing, etc. patches, at least in the early stages. Best to see how (and how much!) and where people end up sharing them and slowly evolve a clearer picture of what might be needed in a more central service and how to deliver it in a sustainable fashion.

FrediBach
Learning to Wiggle

Post by FrediBach » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:27 am

mvdirty wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:41 am
PS - Riffing on Martin’s reply, and from reading between the lines of yours, I feel you’re wise to steer clear of hosting, cataloguing, etc. patches, at least in the early stages. Best to see how (and how much!) and where people end up sharing them and slowly evolve a clearer picture of what might be needed in a more central service and how to deliver it in a sustainable fashion.
The first featured patches will be part of the app repo and created by me and Mathias as a learning resource. I was mainly thinking about recreations of other popular eurorack modules. For the user patch storage I really haven't decided on which service to use. As all meta info is stored in the patch file itself as comments, I could just upload them to something like Cloudinary, which would probably be free at the amount of storage I'm expecting.

mvdirty
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mvdirty » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:37 am

FrediBach wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:27 am
The first featured patches will be part of the app repo and created by me and Mathias as a learning resource. I was mainly thinking about recreations of other popular eurorack modules. For the user patch storage I really haven't decided on which service to use. As all meta info is stored in the patch file itself as comments, I could just upload them to something like Cloudinary, which would probably be free at the amount of storage I'm expecting.
The curated set sounds great, hopefully you didn’t think me to mean to not even have that. ;)

To be honest, I’m less concerned about storage (these patches are tiny, after all) and more about aspects like metadata dimensions and values, account management, moderation/administration, etc. All resolvable aspects, of course, but easier to get right in the presence of information from more users and easier to apply an appropriate amount of effort. At the moment, you’re focused on the editing side and that alone will be super-helpful and more than enough work.

tis your project, of course, so just some thoughts off the top of my head and certainly not a directive of any kind. :)

Happy to chat more on the topic of course, and very much looking forward to seeing how things go!

Return to “Eurorack Modules”