any advice or critique is welcome :)

A place to post links to your music, upload tracks and promote yourself.

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

theauctioneer
Learning to Wiggle

any advice or critique is welcome :)

Post by theauctioneer » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:58 pm

i'm working on a track atm that i quite like but i'm very new to producing and mixing songs. here's the link to it, it's called 'for example':

https://soundcloud.com/the-auctioneer/f ... IhBGQsdtWL

i'm not really looking for any criticism on my voice bc i already know i have a long way to go and i'm not planning on being a singer anyway, but any other advice anyone can offer me on production/composition/lyrics would be very welcome! i wrote the melody + most of the lyrics over a year ago now but i'm still holding out hope that they're somewhat salvageable. i know there's a little glitch in the last chorus that came up after i finished rendering it but i'm working on smoothing that out, i have a feeling it might just be because of how old my laptop is, haha.

sparood
Veteran Wiggler

Re: any advice or critique is welcome :)

Post by sparood » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:37 pm

This is pretty good!

vqlk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by vqlk » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:41 pm

i think the piano / melody fits the singer well. the lyrics i could work out i found a bit annoying, but i'm a crank
i'm out, go circle someone else's corpse.

theauctioneer
Learning to Wiggle

Post by theauctioneer » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:47 pm

sparood wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:37 pm
This is pretty good!
thanks, i appreciate it!

theauctioneer
Learning to Wiggle

Post by theauctioneer » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:49 pm

vqlk wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:41 pm
i think the piano / melody fits the singer well. the lyrics i could work out i found a bit annoying, but i'm a crank
is there anything specific about them you didn't like? i don't wanna write music that people find annoying

vqlk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by vqlk » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:54 pm

theauctioneer wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:49 pm
vqlk wrote:
is there anything specific about them you didn't like? i don't wanna write music that people find annoying
haha

i found that certain phrases got stuck in my head, and -- while i think that is a skill / talent -- i find that annoying

theauctioneer
Learning to Wiggle

Post by theauctioneer » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:58 pm

vqlk wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:54 pm
theauctioneer wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:49 pm
vqlk wrote:
haha

i found that certain phrases got stuck in my head, and -- while i think that is a skill / talent -- i find that annoying
oh i see! i guess i'll take that as a compliment then, it's sort of something i've been working on! :D i appreciate that not everyone will enjoy that, though

tioJim
Ultra Wiggler

Post by tioJim » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:11 pm

It's got legs. I like your voice.

I think the song's written (it's a good song) but maybe the arrangement and production isn't finished?

Part of your melody reminds me of a song by Lera Lynn. If you listen to Lera Lynn then careful! If you don't it's just coincidence, all is good. Both are nice melodies.

Well done. Do more.

I did this a while ago. Got loads out of it. I recommend it.

https://learnmonthly.com/andrew-huang-music

theauctioneer
Learning to Wiggle

Post by theauctioneer » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:23 pm

tioJim wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:11 pm
It's got legs. I like your voice.

I think the song's written (it's a good song) but maybe the arrangement and production isn't finished?

Part of your melody reminds me of a song by Lera Lynn. If you listen to Lera Lynn then careful! If you don't it's just coincidence, all is good. Both are nice melodies.

Well done. Do more.

I did this a while ago. Got loads out of it. I recommend it.

https://learnmonthly.com/andrew-huang-music
i don't listen to lera lynn haha, all good there. and yeah, arrangement/production defo isn't done, i'm still getting the hang of my daw. all i really do atm is compress the hell out of everything, add some reverb and hope for the best, lol. i'm happy to hear you think it's good! i will continue working on it, and i'll check out that link. thank you!

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:39 pm

I think it sounds good. On the production side the vocal might be a little too dominant in the mix with the beat being somewhat too subdued. Also the beat could include some variation and movement to support the lyrical intent. It's a little rigid. So that the music interplays with your vocals a bit more. The vocal could probably sound even better with some subtle EQing.

theauctioneer
Learning to Wiggle

Post by theauctioneer » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:45 pm

dubonaire wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:39 pm
I think it sounds good. On the production side the vocal might be a little too dominant in the mix with the beat being somewhat too subdued. Also the beat could include some variation and movement to support the lyrical intent. It's a little rigid. So that the music interplays with your vocals a bit more.
ok cool. i'm not familiar with making beats yet so the whole percussion layer was an experiment. more movement. got it. and i'll tone down the volume of the vocal tracks, too. thanks for the feedback!

IEC
Wiggling with Experience

Post by IEC » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:57 pm

sounds kinda like.... florence and the machine? or something along those lines? i guess thats a compliment though! :)

theauctioneer
Learning to Wiggle

Post by theauctioneer » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:59 pm

IEC wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:57 pm
sounds kinda like.... florence and the machine? or something along those lines? i guess thats a compliment though! :)
hey, thanks! i don't actually listen to florence and the machine much but some ppl have mentioned this before lol

vqlk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by vqlk » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:01 pm

it kinda sounded like someone went to goldsmiths and doesn't know what to do next... reminded me of a friend's song writing -- who studied music -- actually, though i couldn't say why... similar goals i'd guess

theauctioneer
Learning to Wiggle

Post by theauctioneer » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:53 pm

vqlk wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:01 pm
it kinda sounded like someone went to goldsmiths and doesn't know what to do next... reminded me of a friend's song writing -- who studied music -- actually, though i couldn't say why... similar goals i'd guess
ive never actually gone through any formal music education besides some standard piano + trumpet lessons, lol. im just writing music to waste time before uni starts up. i enjoy it, and i hope i can find a career in songwriting someday, but it's not a priority.

TVNoel
Learning to Wiggle

Post by TVNoel » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:49 pm

I really like this, especially the "boxes on boxes" bit. Very interesting harmonies too.

Some constructive thoughts which I hope are useful:

1. Think about the dynamic range across the whole track - the piano seems like a constant volume throughout but I think could create more interest by introducing some softer passages

2. The song constantly develops and doesn't have an immediately obvious chorus to return to. This is not necessarily a bad thing ('In Dreams' by Roy Orbison is a work of genius), but it might be good to pick a few more motifs to return to throughout the song.

But overall amazing work, thanks for sharing!

theauctioneer
Learning to Wiggle

Post by theauctioneer » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:39 pm

TVNoel wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:49 pm
I really like this, especially the "boxes on boxes" bit. Very interesting harmonies too.

Some constructive thoughts which I hope are useful:

1. Think about the dynamic range across the whole track - the piano seems like a constant volume throughout but I think could create more interest by introducing some softer passages

2. The song constantly develops and doesn't have an immediately obvious chorus to return to. This is not necessarily a bad thing ('In Dreams' by Roy Orbison is a work of genius), but it might be good to pick a few more motifs to return to throughout the song.

But overall amazing work, thanks for sharing!
hey, sorry for the late reply i haven't logged on in a while lol. i'm glad you like that line, it came to me while i was half asleep (as most of my best melodies/lyrics tend to)

i think dynamics is definitely something i want to experiment more with in regards to midi instruments. when i play the piano it's much easier to instinctively raise or lower the volume based on what i want the vibe to be, but it's harder to . eyeball it (???? metaphorically) in a midi environment bc ive listened to the song so many times i've already become accustomed to the way it was when i recorded it. i'll keep volume in mind when i next get a chance to look at the track

in regards to the constant development of the song it's something i quite like doing bc i'm really into the buildup to the final chorus and since i tend to make music i personally enjoy listening to it's sort of become a habit. i'll try to experiment a little more with choruses/repetition in future tracks but i'll probably keep this one the way it is!

thanks for the feedback!

Return to “Your Tunes Here”