Qu-Bit Nebulae V2 USB not working

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

VanWonky
Common Wiggler

Qu-Bit Nebulae V2 USB not working

Post by VanWonky » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:21 am

Howdy - I just purchased a second hand NebV2. The front USB is totally non-responsive. I have tried 4 different USB sticks but you can see that the lights are not responding/ showing loading (i.e turning aqua). However the USB on the Pi has loaded new firmware and samples with no problems.
Has anyone had this issue? The module is working correctly otherwise.
Cheers
Dave

VanWonky
Common Wiggler

Re: Qu-Bit Nebulae V2 USB not working

Post by VanWonky » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:22 am

UPDATE - FIXED. Removed the Pi to check continuity with a multi-meter from the front panel USB to the USB adapter on the back - all good. The problem was most likely that where Pi sits on the main board there is only a layer of insulating tape protecting the Pi USB casing from solder points on the main board. A sharp solder joint had worked its way through the tape contacting the USB case I assume causing a short that was rendering the front USB inoperative. Filed down pointy bits, added a couple of layers of tape. Or maybe just removing the Pi and putting it back fix it? Anyway just in case someone has a similar problem with their NebV2
Cheers
Dave

Neb tape.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

thetechnobear
Wiggling with Experience

Post by thetechnobear » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:13 am

Iirc ( which i might not ;)) there is a short cable that runs from rPI to nebulae’s controller board - that cable is quite vulnerable to getting dislodged - I seems to remember having to push it back in couple of times.

That said, I may be confusing this with the Bela Salt or Terminal Tedium, as I’ve had similar issues with those :)

VanWonky
Common Wiggler

Post by VanWonky » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:13 am

You are correct. First and easiest thing to check and what you hope is the problem. :)

Return to “Eurorack Modules”