Announcing ALM017 - Pamela's NEW Workout

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, lisa, Joe.

aroom
Ultra Wiggler

Re: Announcing ALM017 - Pamela's NEW Workout

Post by aroom » Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:02 pm

Thanks 🙏

CaneMan
Wiggling with Experience

Post by CaneMan » Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:11 pm

ALM wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:35 am
Im please to announce another new firmware update for PNW :hyper:

Release 205 adds a couple of pretty big new features;
  • A new much requested 'smooth' random waveform. Via the width param the waveform morphs from a linear triangular like wave to curved 'mario hills'
  • A new 'Logic' output channel param. This allows you to combine a channels output with another via an AND/OR/XOR type logic operation. This is very powerful (and fun)
The manual has been updated to cover both the above and includes some other tweaks.

Please visit http://busycircuits.com/firmware/alm017/ to download the new firmware.

Highly recommend that people who havn't upgraded before check the youtube videos (PC & Mac) covering the update process.
Omg. This module's already crazy deep. Time for a seriously deep dive this weekend. :yay:

yellowecho
Wiggling with Experience

Post by yellowecho » Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:36 pm

CaneMan wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:11 pm
Omg. This module's already crazy deep. Time for a seriously deep dive this weekend. :yay:
I know, right?? I still can't get over how killer the QUANT feature is and here we are still getting amazing updates. :goo:

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:40 pm

Excellent video tutorial for updating the firmware, but mine didn't work using dfu-util-static.exe - had to use dfu-util.exe and the dll. It worked though, and having big fun with the new features. :tu:
Is it finished?
Latest Tune:
Sounds: SoundCloud , Freesound
Racks: Big Case, Skiff, Waveform Laboratory, Funboat

megarat
Wiggling with Experience

Post by megarat » Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:54 pm

Out-freaking-standing. I can't wait to do this upgrade. The smoothed random outputs is going to make my month.

xcc
Wiggling with Experience

Post by xcc » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:20 pm

Smooth random! :omg: :omg: :omg:

Thank you!!!

The logic operations are almost too cool. This almost makes up for the pain of finishing my taxes today.

CaneMan
Wiggling with Experience

Post by CaneMan » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:53 pm

yellowecho wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:36 pm
CaneMan wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:11 pm
I know, right?? I still can't get over how killer the QUANT feature is and here we are still getting amazing updates. :goo:
I have so many sequencing options already that I didn't even bother installing the upgrade with the QUANT feature. The new logic features, on the other hand, will help me put off buying a logic module.

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:21 pm

Did this new update break the hold for random cv on skipped and euclidian steps?

Edit: nevermind. I forgot that this only works on quantized mode.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
FS/T: Goike Folding Case / Grayscale Panels
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Mark_Lewis
Common Wiggler

Post by Mark_Lewis » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:19 pm

cptnal wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:40 pm
Excellent video tutorial for updating the firmware, but mine didn't work using dfu-util-static.exe - had to use dfu-util.exe and the dll. It worked though, and having big fun with the new features. :tu:
Sorry, but, having a problem updating, could you elaborate? Did you use a PC?

jasev
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jasev » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:39 am

ALM wrote:

• A new much requested 'smooth' random waveform. Via the width param the waveform morphs from a linear triangular like wave to curved 'mario hills'
  • A new 'Logic' output channel param. This allows you to combine a channels output with another via an AND/OR/XOR type logic operation. This is very powerful (and fun)
The manual has been updated to cover both the above and includes some other tweaks.

Please visit http://busycircuits.com/firmware/alm017/ to download the new firmware.

Highly recommend that people who havn't upgraded before check the youtube videos (PC & Mac) covering the update process.
Thanks a lot

JonoVizion
Learning to Wiggle

Post by JonoVizion » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:53 am

(#####)
Last edited by JonoVizion on Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

JonoVizion
Learning to Wiggle

Post by JonoVizion » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:31 am

Not sure if it was the failed updates or plugging it back into the case wrong polarity but I bricked it. Lovely I should have quit while I was ahead

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:14 am

Mark_Lewis wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:19 pm
cptnal wrote:
Yes, I'm on PC.

I downloaded dfu-util-static.exe as per the video, and when I ran the command line I got "dfu-util is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file."

So I downloaded dfu-util.exe and tried again. This time it complained the dll was missing. So I downloaded that and tried again and this time it worked.

Every other step I followed was per the video - I actually had it running while I did it, pausing to catch up. That jingle is some earworm! :sb:
Is it finished?
Latest Tune:
Sounds: SoundCloud , Freesound
Racks: Big Case, Skiff, Waveform Laboratory, Funboat

uebl
Wiggling with Experience

Post by uebl » Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:20 am

Wow, the logic operators open up a whole new world inside the module, especially when used with LFOs und envelopes. Thank you so much for this update, ALM!

I noticed that the modifier symbol for "gate on stop" changed from _|‾ to &|‾ while the modifier symbol for "gate on start" remained unchanged |‾|_. Is this on purpose or a super-minor bug?

Mark_Lewis
Common Wiggler

Post by Mark_Lewis » Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:00 am

cptnal wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:14 am
Mark_Lewis wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:19 pm
cptnal wrote:
Yes, I'm on PC.

I downloaded dfu-util-static.exe as per the video, and when I ran the command line I got "dfu-util is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file."

So I downloaded dfu-util.exe and tried again. This time it complained the dll was missing. So I downloaded that and tried again and this time it worked.

Every other step I followed was per the video - I actually had it running while I did it, pausing to catch up. That jingle is some earworm! :sb:
Ah, shit! I’m in the same boat. Will keep trying. Thanks for the response

rikrak
Common Wiggler

Post by rikrak » Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:46 am

Thanks for the Update!

Regarding the Logic options... I'm getting some very useful new waveforms out. Looking on a scope, though, I'm seeing some erratic results (though cyclical) when one of the two outputs is something other than standard gate or triangle.

When I first got my scope, i experimented multing outputs into CV1 and using that to modulate parameters. This is incredibly powerful. It would be amazing to be able to select Outputs as modulation sources without going via the CV inputs. I wouldn't usually presume there was a possibility, but given the recent updates, it's worth a shot(?)

What is the new Output type selection, after Gate On/Off - with the ampersand?

Thanks again. I've just ordered a second Pam. Because what other modulator comes close in 8hp (or any size)?

ModusOp
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ModusOp » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:38 am

This update rules! Is the new smooth random akin to the “fluctuating” random a la the Buchla 266?

xcc
Wiggling with Experience

Post by xcc » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:01 am

ModusOp wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:38 am
This update rules! Is the new smooth random akin to the “fluctuating” random a la the Buchla 266?
Yep! The only thing lacking is that it's unipolar. Still awesome and most welcome though.

ModusOp
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ModusOp » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:19 pm

xcc wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:01 am
ModusOp wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:38 am
Yep! The only thing lacking is that it's unipolar. Still awesome and most welcome though.
:party: Many Krell patches shall ensue!

mrerdat
Common Wiggler

Post by mrerdat » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:22 pm

ALM wrote:

It's time to sell your logic modules! I'm having a hard time figuring out a practical use for mine after this game changing update unless I'm doing non clocked stuff with external LFOs.
rikrak wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:46 am
I've just ordered a second Pam. Because what other modulator comes close in 8hp (or any size)?
Also part of the two Pams club. You won't regret it :tu:

ALM
Ultra Wiggler

Post by ALM » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:37 pm

uebl wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:20 am
I noticed that the modifier symbol for "gate on stop" changed from _|‾ to &|‾ while the modifier symbol for "gate on start" remained unchanged |‾|_. Is this on purpose or a super-minor bug?
Arg, thats actually a bit of a boo boo :( It is still _|‾ just the font has got a little messed up... Im sure a 206 will appear very soon.

ALM
Ultra Wiggler

Post by ALM » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:51 pm

Just released 206 ! It just fixes the _|‾ rendering in 205!

http://busycircuits.com/firmware/alm017/

(Knew I should of done a wider beta release :waah: )

DukeOfPrunes
Common Wiggler

Post by DukeOfPrunes » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:21 pm

Thank you! Will you be refreshing the manual on your website to reflect the latest version?

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:59 pm

JonoVizion wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:31 am
Not sure if it was the failed updates or plugging it back into the case wrong polarity but I bricked it. Lovely I should have quit while I was ahead
is the screen completely off when you turn your modular on? the only place i can think for starting to troubleshoot is to make sure you downloaded the correct software for you PCBs version. did you check to make sure you got the correct version for pre/post 'Rev 62' board?

Fidi
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Fidi » Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:34 pm

ALM wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:47 am
Fidi wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:15 am
Fidi wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:38 am
If I set the Modifier to trigger once at „Start“ (one pulse): after a power cycle this setting gets lost and is set to x1... is this a known bug? Does your pnw´s do that too?
Thanks!
Hello pnw-users, I still have this problem and would like to know if I am the only one...
I try to explain it a bit clearer:

If i set the Modifier of any channel to this:

When I power off the synth, this Setting gets lost (Modifier set back to „x1“).

Is this normal? I‘m running the latest firmware. Thanks!
What actual firmware version are you running (check via powering pam with encoder held) and what is your Pam rev ?
:doh: I was running 202 (not the latest firmware :oops: ) Now with 206 everything works perfect, thanks a lot for your help and the supercool new features in 206 :hail:

Return to “Eurorack Modules”