Most aggressive and brutal distortion ever

Discussing gear, production, and ideas for making noise music. Enough JMJ, let's rock like Merzbow!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

awedsimian
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Most aggressive and brutal distortion ever

Post by awedsimian » Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:21 pm

knittingram wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:40 pm
metasonix tx-3 (still around for a decent price)
Already heard some of the demos. It sounds okay.

awedsimian
Learning to Wiggle

Post by awedsimian » Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:38 pm

jdaddyaz wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:51 pm
Ohmicide is my go to distortion. It is so versatile and has the ability to make the most destructive sounds I've heard. I wish it had a hardware equivalent. When not using a cpu, I tend to stack a few digitech, dod, elektron, and boss distortion pedals routed through a Lyra.
Will check it out thanks!

awedsimian
Learning to Wiggle

Post by awedsimian » Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:40 pm

Luke2020 wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:39 am
awedsimian wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:58 am
The MXR Distortion Plus have frequency range exceeded 100khz, but the higher frequencies are at lower decibels so the distortion sounds smoother.

MXR is cool, i had the blue box, and it was beautiful...

but can you explain the graph for the hard of intellect please? do similar graphs exist for other distortion?
You can find more here https://www.electrosmash.com/fuzz-face

That WMD Geiger Counter is pretty much legendary in generating very harsh distortion.

thetwlo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thetwlo » Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:57 pm

awedsimian wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:19 am
I just watch some videos of stacked Metal Zones and they sound fucking glorious. The uncontrollable feedback shrieks coupled with blurry solos just sound amazing :hihi:

What are some of those pedals, synths, etc. that generate the most aggressive distortion with frequency responses that go up to ultrasonic frequencies (in the range of 50khz-100khz)? Btw all Metasonix products generate those high pitch noises to 40khz, right? What are the frequency responses of Metasonix products?
and what speakers are you listening to this on? and even a cat can't hear up to 100khz.
You watched videos? Youtube? I doubt the audio goes past 16khz.

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:31 pm

Yes Powder wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:04 pm
awedsimian wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:23 am
MindMachine wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:39 am
What has the world come to...
Sorry that image isn't a measurement from someone playing an instrument, it's just a simulation.
I think MindMachine's reaction comes from you being overly focused on the theoretical aspects of distortion ("what's their frequency range?") while apparently having very little idea of how that translates to the real world, or even what range of freqencies humans are even capable of hearing.
Most people know or even care what the frequency response of their distortion effects is, because most people don't make music based on discrete frequencies— much less those in the ultrasound range.
And I use the DOD Grunge. That with a graphic EQ pedal and parametric EQ pedal give great action (before and after). No graph to share though. Poops nicely.
FS: Pedals and Euro modules, Delta Labs
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=233636&p=3287718&h ... e#p3287718

m0rb1d
Filtersweep Abuser

Post by m0rb1d » Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:40 pm

Attenuated feedback loops.

Neither
Common Wiggler

Post by Neither » Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:48 pm

awedsimian wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:21 pm
knittingram wrote:
The problem with Metasonix demos is that they sound awful. Not awful in a good way. More like crap. For example, Metasonix TX-1 is a total monster that has the ability to pulverize the whole world. But all the demos I’ve heard about it sound like farts. It’s also great with the already mentioned MXR Blue Box.

Here is an example track:

awedsimian
Learning to Wiggle

Post by awedsimian » Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:19 am

thetwlo wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:57 pm
awedsimian wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:19 am
I just watch some videos of stacked Metal Zones and they sound fucking glorious. The uncontrollable feedback shrieks coupled with blurry solos just sound amazing :hihi:

What are some of those pedals, synths, etc. that generate the most aggressive distortion with frequency responses that go up to ultrasonic frequencies (in the range of 50khz-100khz)? Btw all Metasonix products generate those high pitch noises to 40khz, right? What are the frequency responses of Metasonix products?
and what speakers are you listening to this on? and even a cat can't hear up to 100khz.
You watched videos? Youtube? I doubt the audio goes past 16khz.
Of course we can't hear the ultrasonic frequencies but somehow I love watching high amplitude ultrasonic frequencies when seeing the frequency spectrum plot. I heard high intensity ultrasounds can make people dizzy or something like that though.

That being said, I just wanna know the most brutal distortion with high level of ultrasonic frequencies that can make the most unbearable and unlistenable super aggressive noise music :twisted: :lol:

awedsimian
Learning to Wiggle

Post by awedsimian » Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:21 am

Neither wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:48 pm
awedsimian wrote:
knittingram wrote:
The problem with Metasonix demos is that they sound awful. Not awful in a good way. More like crap. For example, Metasonix TX-1 is a total monster that has the ability to pulverize the whole world. But all the demos I’ve heard about it sound like farts. It’s also great with the already mentioned MXR Blue Box.

The distortion tone of Metasonix pedals tend to sounds farty. In the track, is that MXR Blue Box or Metasonix?

Neither
Common Wiggler

Post by Neither » Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:22 am

awedsimian wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:21 am
Neither wrote:
awedsimian wrote:
knittingram wrote:

The distortion tone of Metasonix pedals tend to sounds farty. In the track, is that MXR Blue Box or Metasonix?
It’s both MXR blue box and TX-1. You can hear the wimpy “sound source” @ around 1 minute. That high pitch one. The glorious distortion comes from that awful sound. Also, that track includes another track with drums, modulated with my brainwaves via Sherman Filterbank. They finally “syncronize” towards the end. But that doesn’t go through TX-1 nor Blue Box.

I highly disagree that TX-1 sounds farty, although it can in some circuimstances. Rather, it can transform the most lame (or farty) sounds into something completely devastating.

awedsimian
Learning to Wiggle

Post by awedsimian » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:13 am

Neither wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:22 am
awedsimian wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:21 am
Neither wrote:
awedsimian wrote:
knittingram wrote:

It’s both MXR blue box and TX-1. You can hear the wimpy “sound source” @ around 1 minute. That high pitch one. The glorious distortion comes from that awful sound. Also, that track includes another track with drums, modulated with my brainwaves via Sherman Filterbank. They finally “syncronize” towards the end. But that doesn’t go through TX-1 nor Blue Box.

I highly disagree that TX-1 sounds farty, although it can in some circuimstances. Rather, it can transform the most lame (or farty) sounds into something completely devastating.
I can't distinguish which one is TX-1 and which one is MXR Blue Box though. Do you play guitars?

Neither
Common Wiggler

Post by Neither » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:07 pm

awedsimian wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:13 am
I can't distinguish which one is TX-1 and which one is MXR Blue Box though. Do you play guitars?
I haven’t played a guitar in a long while. I’ve got a guitar but it’s not with me currently. Anyways, I haven’t tried to play TX-1 with a guitar.

I play TX-1 with eurorack. Using Boredbrains IntrFX interface. It’s dry/wet knobs are really useful with devices like TX-1 and Blue box + makes it easy to produce controllable feedback.

I don’t exactly remember all the settings I used but usually I use blue box at around 20-30 percent wet and I used TX-1 completely wet. The neon light was on, which only happens at extreme settings.

I can try to make a sample with plain TX-1 if intrested...

awedsimian
Learning to Wiggle

Post by awedsimian » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:58 pm

Neither wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:07 pm
awedsimian wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:13 am
I haven’t played a guitar in a long while. I’ve got a guitar but it’s not with me currently. Anyways, I haven’t tried to play TX-1 with a guitar.

I play TX-1 with eurorack. Using Boredbrains IntrFX interface. It’s dry/wet knobs are really useful with devices like TX-1 and Blue box + makes it easy to produce controllable feedback.

I don’t exactly remember all the settings I used but usually I use blue box at around 20-30 percent wet and I used TX-1 completely wet. The neon light was on, which only happens at extreme settings.

I can try to make a sample with plain TX-1 if intrested...
Yes please, curious how would the TX-1 sounds like on its own while playing with all of the knobs. If you have a guitar with you, please do a demo of it also with the TX-1. The audio will be much higher in quality too if you record it through the interface.

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:42 pm

earth sound research graphic fuzz has no capacitors. Check it out. I built one. I published a mod for it. Basic audio sells something similar. You can buy it from him. You can tune the whistle to any frequency probably over 40KHz. The mod removes the high frequency oscillation on a switch.

Hachihachi shiki kebadate hizumaseki SUPER OSCILLO FUZZ
By Lastgasp laboratories

I have in the past sold an 11 knob fuzz pedal called the adjustable suck fuzz. Sometimes I see the DIY pedals on reverb. They were built on the same PCB I use but they were not built by me. There is one in eurorack I sold off as well. I'm not building them but you can build one if you want to. The PCB is available. I can't legally mention fuzz factory so I won't give him any credit. My design has more knobs. It is definitely not a fuzz factory.

The DOD Death Metal is like a fine wine. It is a nice vintage. Lots of flavor. Classic style.

There is a metasonix TX1 on reverb for $1500. By far the brutal. Take a listen.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

Yes Powder
Powder that makes you say "Yes"

Post by Yes Powder » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:41 pm

EATyourGUITAR wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:42 pm
earth sound research graphic fuzz has no capacitors. Check it out. I built one.
I have an IdiotBox Blasteroid, which is supposed to be a straight clone of thr ESR Graphic Fuzz, and it definitely has capacitors.
A345F730-4ACE-4681-B34A-F4592483B9E9.jpeg
Regardless, excellent pedal. It absolutely slays on bass!

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:05 pm

Look at the schematic. No AC coupling cap on the in and out. They started with a distortion plus I think. Then they deleted parts till it got more distorted. It is a very interesting way to get results.

Yes Powder
Powder that makes you say "Yes"

Post by Yes Powder » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:44 pm

EATyourGUITAR wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:05 pm
Look at the schematic. No AC coupling cap on the in and out.
Ah, I see what you mean.

awedsimian
Learning to Wiggle

Post by awedsimian » Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:43 am

EATyourGUITAR wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:42 pm
earth sound research graphic fuzz has no capacitors. Check it out. I built one. I published a mod for it. Basic audio sells something similar. You can buy it from him. You can tune the whistle to any frequency probably over 40KHz. The mod removes the high frequency oscillation on a switch.

Hachihachi shiki kebadate hizumaseki SUPER OSCILLO FUZZ
By Lastgasp laboratories

I have in the past sold an 11 knob fuzz pedal called the adjustable suck fuzz. Sometimes I see the DIY pedals on reverb. They were built on the same PCB I use but they were not built by me. There is one in eurorack I sold off as well. I'm not building them but you can build one if you want to. The PCB is available. I can't legally mention fuzz factory so I won't give him any credit. My design has more knobs. It is definitely not a fuzz factory.

The DOD Death Metal is like a fine wine. It is a nice vintage. Lots of flavor. Classic style.

There is a metasonix TX1 on reverb for $1500. By far the brutal. Take a listen.
I just listened to one demo of the TX1 but not with a guitar, it was through a Future Retro Revolution synth and it just sounds like any high gain distortion pedals that are connected to synths. Sounds aggressive of course, but not particularly sounds that are truly unique. I'm still trying to find a demo of TX1 with a guitar.

Earth Sound Graphic Fuzz and the Lastgasp one, I've never heard before. Gonna listen to some demos on Youtube if there are any. Do you got some demos of your modded Graphic Fuzz?

So far, the most aggressive and brutal noise distortion pedals that I've listened to are the circuit bent versions of already available usual distortion pedals such as BOSS DS-1.

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:38 am

I would totally disagree about the TX-1. I have never in my life been able to replicate the sound no matter how hard I try. some people don't have the ears for this job. you can use a DS-1 if you want to. it is solid state. it is 9v. it has hard clipping if you mod it for more gain. this is a common available sound I can get with other pedals or plugins. a lot of those modded DS-1's that oscillate are simple feedback loops. you can patch that up if you want to.

between the TX-1 and/or the DOD Death metal, those two are my fav most brutal distortions ever. you don't need to run through an entire pedal board to do it. the newer metasonix F-1 gets close to the TX-1 but it has a different magic to it. I skip over most of the metasonix stuff for distortions because I am very picky. I know what I like and I don't give up till I find it.

this thread is not about my favorite distortions, this thread is about the most brutal. these are probably it.

I listed the fuzz pedals because I think for some people, brutal distortion = totally unrecognizable signal with lots of square waves and glitches. for me a fuzz pedal is a fuzz pedal but I can follow along in the thread. sometimes music terminology is very non-standard. we have to guess what we are really talking about if we are even talking about the same thing.

here is a link to the basic audio dirt halo that I believe has the anti-whistle mod that I shared with him. we kinda worked on it together in the beginning then he disappeared and started selling it. no idea if he used my schematic or not. I know he added a charge pump so you can power it from a standard boss 9v.
https://reverb.com/item/2609543-basic-audio-dirt-halo

I could recommend the fucifier but the prices are highly speculative.
https://reverb.com/item/10045636-evol-audio-fucifier

this is a weird one. not sure if brutal but it is weird.
https://www.perfectcircuit.com/elta-mus ... sizer.html

if you need distortion on drums and you want to get experimental
http://www.subtlenoisemaker.com/cacophonator_noir.html

black arts tone works is regarded as THE brutal fuzz pedal. not sure you would like it on synths. this is in the context of guitar or baritone.
https://www.blackartstoneworks.com/pedal/pharaoh/

awedsimian
Learning to Wiggle

Post by awedsimian » Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:20 pm

EATyourGUITAR wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:38 am
I would totally disagree about the TX-1. I have never in my life been able to replicate the sound no matter how hard I try. some people don't have the ears for this job. you can use a DS-1 if you want to. it is solid state. it is 9v. it has hard clipping if you mod it for more gain. this is a common available sound I can get with other pedals or plugins. a lot of those modded DS-1's that oscillate are simple feedback loops. you can patch that up if you want to.
Do you play the TX1 with a guitar or a synth? You said some people think of brutal distortion as unrecognizable signals with lots of square waves and glitches, so I think you have a different meaning of brutal distortion. If I'm not mistaken, the TX1 have less noises than other Metasonix. Right? I never heard a TX1 played with a guitar but there is a synth demo comparing a TX1 and a TX2, and the TX1 is way less noisier.
EATyourGUITAR wrote:
between the TX-1 and/or the DOD Death metal, those two are my fav most brutal distortions ever. you don't need to run through an entire pedal board to do it. the newer metasonix F-1 gets close to the TX-1 but it has a different magic to it. I skip over most of the metasonix stuff for distortions because I am very picky. I know what I like and I don't give up till I find it.
I'm a picky person myself lol :hihi: I'm curious how does the most brutal music sounds like so stacking some of the most brutal distortion pedals with each other will be cool...
EATyourGUITAR wrote:
this thread is not about my favorite distortions, this thread is about the most brutal. these are probably it.

I listed the fuzz pedals because I think for some people, brutal distortion = totally unrecognizable signal with lots of square waves and glitches. for me a fuzz pedal is a fuzz pedal but I can follow along in the thread. sometimes music terminology is very non-standard. we have to guess what we are really talking about if we are even talking about the same thing.

here is a link to the basic audio dirt halo that I believe has the anti-whistle mod that I shared with him. we kinda worked on it together in the beginning then he disappeared and started selling it. no idea if he used my schematic or not. I know he added a charge pump so you can power it from a standard boss 9v.
https://reverb.com/item/2609543-basic-audio-dirt-halo

I could recommend the fucifier but the prices are highly speculative.
https://reverb.com/item/10045636-evol-audio-fucifier

this is a weird one. not sure if brutal but it is weird.
https://www.perfectcircuit.com/elta-mus ... sizer.html

if you need distortion on drums and you want to get experimental
http://www.subtlenoisemaker.com/cacophonator_noir.html

black arts tone works is regarded as THE brutal fuzz pedal. not sure you would like it on synths. this is in the context of guitar or baritone.
https://www.blackartstoneworks.com/pedal/pharaoh/
But fuzz pedals tend to be more brutal than the distortion pedals you've mentioned earlier (i.e. TX1, DOD Death Metal), isn't it? Because of the unrecognizable sounds that they make. Sometimes I can't even tolerate the sounds of noisy fuzz pedals lol :lol:

Thanks for more suggestions, will look into them :tu:

building
Common Wiggler

Post by building » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:00 am

dod corrosion

fivepawnopaw
Common Wiggler

Post by fivepawnopaw » Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:24 am

Empty your bank account for this Schumann PLL!!!:::::

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
jamie//fivepaw
http://fivepaw.bandcamp.com
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

carbonhazard
Learning to Wiggle

Post by carbonhazard » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:33 am

building wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:00 am
dod corrosion
i have a metal x which is supposedly the same pedal, corrosion was just rebranded for the lamb series. it's pretty brutal, but not as brutal as a death metal. actually a boss odb-3 is harsher as well, but the metal x sounds better.

Feinstrom
Common Wiggler

Post by Feinstrom » Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:21 am

I have and use three different distortion units: a RAT 2 (plain bourbon vanilla, but just perfect for 303 purposes) and two really brutal units (but in completely different ways):

- Earthquaker Life Pedal ltd. edition in silver (very organic and big, like Godzilla crushing Tokyo just by trampling around and a bit of heat-ray thrown in for measure)

- Gamechanger Plasma Pedal (unhealthily sizzly, like a giant electric spider frying Silicon Valley with 3800 volt tasers)

Cheers,
Bert

carbonhazard
Learning to Wiggle

Post by carbonhazard » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:11 am

Feinstrom wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:21 am
- Earthquaker Life Pedal ltd. edition in silver (very organic and big, like Godzilla crushing Tokyo just by trampling around and a bit of heat-ray thrown in for measure)
I've been meaning to build a kit of this but they're sold out atm

Return to “Synth Noise”