Ahhh... P Bass or J Bass.

A place for the string slingers, pedal freaks and amp snobs in our midst.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

commodorejohn
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Ahhh... P Bass or J Bass.

Post by commodorejohn » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:41 pm

Yeah, the heavy-duty bridge really does make a difference.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000, Ensoniq SQ-80

"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

levelhead3
Wiggling with Experience

Post by levelhead3 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:57 pm

It's funny, I went the opposite direction.

I was a dyed in the wool Badass II fan for years, but found that on my older Fenders low and behold the old nickel plated stock bridge just sounds so much better - in a band setting. The heavier mass bridges sound cool by themselves, but they just suck out all the midrange. Especially on alder bodied basses there is just no contest - the stock bridge just lets the bass speak so much better.

So I ditched the heavier bridges on all my older basses. For MIM Fenders I do prefer the Hipshot B style - the stock bridges just don't seem to help the way they do on the older basses.

syzygywell
aligned wiggler

Post by syzygywell » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:47 pm

ilorametis1 wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:44 am
As of right now I’m rocking a Stingray Sub but want something different I guess. I play punk, rock, a bit of metal & post hardcore but mostly punk stuff. I know many of you will say both are excellent but I guess I’m looking for a WHY for each. I’m leaning towards P but one of my favorite bassist Brendan Kelly of The Lawrence Arms plays a J bass so I dunno! Lemme know what you think!
I'm going to go against everything else in here and suggest the G&L L2000/2500. It's an aggressive and full sounding bass that suits all 3 styles you're talking about playing. It's probably one of the most versatile basses as well.

It's been a long time since someone wrote a really good book in jail.

https://www.instagram.com/instrumentsofflight/

Zerstorte Zelle
Common Wiggler

Post by Zerstorte Zelle » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:09 pm

Precision over Jazz. Neither will be quite like the MM SUB. I'm quite a fan of the AMVintage models but it is hard to go wrong with any of them set up the way you like.

carbonhazard
Learning to Wiggle

Post by carbonhazard » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:54 am

Honestly if you want a P sound, get a P bass. Versatility be damned, it just has the best bass tone for rock and punk.

syzygywell
aligned wiggler

Post by syzygywell » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:02 pm

Yeah what carbonhazard said. If you want a P bass sound get a P bass if you want a jazz sound get a jazz bass if you want the SR sound get a SR. I have all 3 for that reason.
It's been a long time since someone wrote a really good book in jail.

https://www.instagram.com/instrumentsofflight/

levelhead3
Wiggling with Experience

Post by levelhead3 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:01 pm

carbonhazard wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:54 am
Honestly if you want a P sound, get a P bass. Versatility be damned, it just has the best bass tone for rock and punk.
Being a long time Precision devotee I 100% agree with the first part, but not really the second.

There is no "best tone" for a particular genre when considering P vs J. You can find amazing tonal examples of both in almost all genres, but especially rock and punk - the list is long in either camp.

There might be a personal or band preference tone-wise of course, or more importantly there might be a playability/response preference.

With the stock pickup configurations the two respond to right hand attack very differently, although of course there are exceptions (e.g. Blacktop Jazz).

And the wider-P vs narrower-J neck widths both have their advocates, although again there are exceptions (e.g. A-neck Precisions).

Return to “Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX”