NE Desmodus Versio

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Gringo Starr
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: NE Desmodus Versio

Post by Gringo Starr » Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:52 am

Well I just got this. I overcame the temptation to just plug and play and went through the manual which turned out to be a good idea. This is a very cool reverb/delay. There’s often that honeymoon phase with modules but I think this one is a keeper. Very fun and so far it’s one good result after another.

Dob
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Dob » Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:39 am

Still waiting for mine... Pre-ordered at a local shop that's expecting a batch.
Didn't want to take that overseas transport risk myself...

The demos that are popping up are confirming my choice more and more. I like what I'm hearing/seeing a lot.

Dob
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Dob » Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:40 am

For instance

Sleepfc
Common Wiggler

Post by Sleepfc » Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:11 am

DV is alright. I’m finding along with every other NE module, it works out best for me when I use it as tamely as possible. It turns into a mess if I go too crazy with the parameters or apply too much CV
I’ve owned a manis, loquelic, bia and a viol ruina and I’ve felt this way about all of them. I sold them all

I’m going to hold onto the DV until I have enough money to buy an erbe verb. DV is cool, but I guess I’m not a fan of how extreme NE can get. They all sound the same when the parameters are overloaded. I guess you either love it or hate it
Attachments
4BED2532-D57F-4AB9-B7B9-9F4155C79004.jpeg

pablowdadon
Common Wiggler

Post by pablowdadon » Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:00 am

Sleepfc wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:11 am
DV is alright. I’m finding along with every other NE module, it works out best for me when I use it as tamely as possible. It turns into a mess if I go too crazy with the parameters or apply too much CV
I’ve owned a manis, loquelic, bia and a viol ruina and I’ve felt this way about all of them. I sold them all

I’m going to hold onto the DV until I have enough money to buy an erbe verb. DV is cool, but I guess I’m not a fan of how extreme NE can get. They all sound the same when the parameters are overloaded. I guess you either love it or hate it
Maybe you need to tame your cv to 0-5v in order to get most of em.
Funny how i’m doing the exact opposite of you, just sold my erbe verb and waiting for this DV :hihi:

joskery
Veteran Wiggler

Post by joskery » Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:16 pm

I think both EV and DV are very similar in how they FEEL to operate. Not saying anything about any 1:1 comparisons, that’s a different topic.

In any case, I’m enjoying the smaller footprint and I have a nice ’EFFECT’ companion to the OTO BIM, capable of more out there sounds.

autopoiesis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:27 pm

I'm most curious about how well DV handles fast changes to Size (e.g. envelope or audio-rate oscillation), which EV seems to be best at doing compared to pretty much any reverb in any format (Eurorack, pedals, plugins). by "handles well" I mean: responds quickly and doesn't add artifacts (probably clock noise?) to the sound, besides some pitch dopplering that might be desirable (as it happens on the EV, and in the LRP & JMP modes of DV).

it does seem to me that some inspiration was taken from the EV in the internal modulation source for Size that can be either periodic or nonperiodic and that has the a dedicated index control. they also share a tilt EQ, but this is a common and sensible thing for reverbs. (btw, the FSU button reminds me a bit of how Freeze works on Clouds' alt firmware reverb (which should be renamed by now to Emiverb), and it would have been better if the Freeze function on that firmware also maxed out the decay time.)

if DV can handle Size modulation like the champ that EV is in this task, I would see DV as being in the ballpark of a miniaturized EV without attenuators, separate controls for diffusion and delay spacing, clock sync for delay spacing, and that envelope follower CV output. and instead with some new unique stuff (the switched modes, ducking, and FSU).

Tonefloat01
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Tonefloat01 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:59 pm

Dob wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:40 am
For instance
Damn, this is some good jamming IMHO.
Thanks for sharing that demo!
The space you occupy determines the time that you live in.

hirnlego
Wiggling with Experience

Post by hirnlego » Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:12 pm

Sleepfc wrote:
They all sound the same when the parameters are overloaded.
Just don't do it then, the beauty of NE's modules is in the details, IMHO.

Sleepfc
Common Wiggler

Post by Sleepfc » Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:25 pm

hirnlego wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:12 pm
Sleepfc wrote:
They all sound the same when the parameters are overloaded.
Just don't do it then, the beauty of NE's modules is in the details, IMHO.
Maybe overloaded was the wrong word.
There are a lot of detail to the NE stuff, I just get more satisfaction out of my more analog based modules. To each their their own I guess
Last edited by Sleepfc on Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pekbro
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pekbro » Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:44 pm

The DV can produce a very broad palate of sounds, don't let it fool you.

Dob
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Dob » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:27 am

:sb: It arrived!!

Just got round to do a small first test, and oh boy, it sounds fantastic!
Puts the FX Aid (which I had so far for in-case reverbs) to shame right away. (not very surprisingly)

At first sonic glance, it even seems to be in the BigSky ballpark. Which is way more than I expected, as this is not marketed as reverb but as tail generator.

I really wanted a flexible small footprint, high quality, true stereo reverb, and this is all that.

The tails it generates keep on being interesting, they have a moving, deep, multi-layered quality to them.
It's like you actually don't want them to fade away, ever :hyper:

This seems to be a very capable sounddesign tool. Can't wait to start modulating it :goo:

autopoiesis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:19 am

that's interesting. while I haven't tried a DV in person yet, I don't hear anything in demos so far that puts the best (to my ears) reverb algorithms in FX Aid 'to shame' on sound. just that you can shape the reverb more and its parameters are more responsive to CV and fast tweaks (since the FX Aid's Spin FV-1 chip slews adjustable parameters).

I am eager for more demos of its creative sound design potential, along the lines of how folks have exploited Erbe Verb in years past. I don't think we need any more techno demos using the max-Regen sidechain trick. it is maybe exciting if you've never sidechained a reverb to a kick before, but this module clearly doesn't deserve to become stereotyped for this small bonus feature.

Electro Something
Common Wiggler

Post by Electro Something » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:58 am

Wow this thing sounds dirty, dark, and angry. Can it do dreamy, bright reverbs as well? Maybe I just haven’t seen enough demos yet.

koyl
Wiggling with Experience

Post by koyl » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:19 pm

I received mine 3 days ago after a month of wait: love it !
Electro Something wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:58 am
Wow this thing sounds dirty, dark, and angry. Can it do dreamy, bright reverbs as well? Maybe I just haven’t seen enough demos yet.
Yes it totaly can: the tone knob goes to silence on both side so super dark AND super bright are possible, and everything in between.

Gringo Starr
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Gringo Starr » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:26 pm

It takes an unusual amount of pressure for me to get the patch cables into all of the CV-ins. I had to wrestle around with one last night before it finally went in. Anyone else notice this?

Sleepfc
Common Wiggler

Post by Sleepfc » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:35 pm

Gringo Starr wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:26 pm
It takes an unusual amount of pressure for me to get the patch cables into all of the CV-ins. I had to wrestle around with one last night before it finally went in. Anyone else notice this?
Yes
Seems like the jacks have to be broken in or something. Taking out a cable has been kinda tricky too. I totally noticed that though, glad I’m not the only one hah

ima_jrk
Common Wiggler

Post by ima_jrk » Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:55 pm

I'm finally starting to get the hang of this module. They might as well have named it "Lava Machina" which Google tells me translates to "Wash Machine". I believe the processing capability of the Electro-Smith Daisy may be higher than the Spin FV-1 (and I'm almost certain the audio converters are much nicer) - the sounds I get don't sound janky at all. Here's a very quick demo I patched. The DV was preloaded with the melodic sequence that comes in later. The end of the track is the FSU button being held. VCO is Odessa modulated. BD is Entity BD into Chronoblob 2 with return run through Ripples. Metallic perc is Plonk. Bass tone is Twin Waves run straight in to the mixer. All sequenced by Vector.

Gringo Starr
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Gringo Starr » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:13 am

ima_jrk wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:55 pm
I'm finally starting to get the hang of this module. They might as well have named it "Lava Machina" which Google tells me translates to "Wash Machine". I believe the processing capability of the Electro-Smith Daisy may be higher than the Spin FV-1 (and I'm almost certain the audio converters are much nicer) - the sounds I get don't sound janky at all. Here's a very quick demo I patched. The DV was preloaded with the melodic sequence that comes in later. The end of the track is the FSU button being held. VCO is Odessa modulated. BD is Entity BD into Chronoblob 2 with return run through Ripples. Metallic perc is Plonk. Bass tone is Twin Waves run straight in to the mixer. All sequenced by Vector.

Sounds good to me! Cool song with a positive chill vibe. :tu:

Granular
Common Wiggler

Post by Granular » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:04 pm

Musicstore have the Black Panel Version in Stock now

Electro Something
Common Wiggler

Post by Electro Something » Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:50 am

Does the Desmodus Versio finally get to studio-quality levels like the Big Sky? Or is eurorack still way behind pedals? Or we talking apples and oranges here?

joskery
Veteran Wiggler

Post by joskery » Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:50 pm

Hmm, maybe I would say that it's not exactly the same. To me, it's a bit more effecty, in that it is not as concerned with modeling real spaces etc.

Which doesn't mean it doesn't sound great or wouldn't be a lot of fun! Also, I haven't had a ton of time with it, so haven't really gone for the subtle things yet, so take this with a grain of salt.

davidjames
Wiggling with Experience

Post by davidjames » Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:58 pm

Electro Something wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:50 am
Does the Desmodus Versio finally get to studio-quality levels like the Big Sky? Or is eurorack still way behind pedals? Or we talking apples and oranges here?
My opinion is its apples and oranges. To me, DV is absolutely studio quality, but it's a sound design tool, not an end of chain reverb. I guess we need to define what "studio quality levels" means in this context.
FS: Bargain Bin updated 8/4, EME, more
viewtopic.php?p=3062675

Gringo Starr
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Gringo Starr » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:23 pm

davidjames wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:58 pm
Electro Something wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:50 am
I guess we need to define what "studio quality levels" means in this context.
I'm not a Strymon fan whatsoever. All sounds vanilla to me. So I guess "studio quality" is subjective. I've never heard a reverb referred to as studio quality anyways. Is this a $350 Bricasti? No.

I would first question whether the people in the studio are studio quality.

autopoiesis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:04 pm

Sleepfc wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:35 pm
Gringo Starr wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:26 pm
Yes
Seems like the jacks have to be broken in or something. Taking out a cable has been kinda tricky too. I totally noticed that though, glad I’m not the only one hah
wonder if there was a design or manufacturing fault that led them to end up with stereo jacks instead of mono jacks. that would be a shame for something in this price range, but it does sound pretty great

Return to “Eurorack Modules”