New intellijel wavefolder/crossfader: bifold

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

autopoiesis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: New intellijel wavefolder/crossfader: bifold

Post by autopoiesis » Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:00 pm

yep Timber is still the one (in under 14hp, so ruling out R*S VCM and troppo TWF) to beat for me timbrally. sounds like Bifold and Fold6 might be both in the territory. I was not much of a fan of the uFold, to be honest, and I hear more of that in the P output of the Bifold.

all that's similar between Timber and Bifold, though, are the feedback normalizations and Serge flavored folding. the dry/wet thing on Timber is useful but a different kind of auxiliary modulation concept tacked onto a wavefolder than this crossfading angle on the Bifold

Wubz
Common Wiggler

Post by Wubz » Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:18 pm

I got my mits on one. It sounds EXCELLENT. I have a Bastl Timber that I'm prob gunna sell.

jsco
Common Wiggler

Post by jsco » Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:36 pm

starthief wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:20 pm
A square through a filter and then into a wavefolder can sound pretty rad though.
yeah! anything that messes with phase (like a filter) interacts in fun ways with time-domain effects like wavefolding. i especially like allpass filters, because they produce a signal that sounds identical to the input but looks totally different on a scope and folds/saturates/distorts totally differently. pairs so perfectly with a wavefolder that i'm surprised nobody's made a combo allpass/folder module.

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:28 pm

about a week ago they said on facebook the were packing them up (and shipping to dealers?) so should be hitting the stores any day now!

autopoiesis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:23 pm

jsco wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:36 pm
starthief wrote:
A square through a filter and then into a wavefolder can sound pretty rad though.
yeah! anything that messes with phase (like a filter) interacts in fun ways with time-domain effects like wavefolding. i especially like allpass filters, because they produce a signal that sounds identical to the input but looks totally different on a scope and folds/saturates/distorts totally differently. pairs so perfectly with a wavefolder that i'm surprised nobody's made a combo allpass/folder module.
good idea!

Black_Materia
Common Wiggler

Post by Black_Materia » Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:48 pm

Sounds pretty good to my ears. A smooth serge sound and the buchla is a bit more quirky. The layout/design is pretty versatile as well.

megarat
Wiggling with Experience

Post by megarat » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:04 am

The Bifold is starting to trickle out into the rest of the world. I picked one up today from Patchwerks, and Wigglehunt shows it at Clockface Modular and Nightlife Electronics. My impressions so far are excellent. It’s very well thought out and deep with capabilities. Worth the wait.

williamjturkel
Wiggling with Experience

Post by williamjturkel » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:34 am

How is it for wave folding CV?

Foghorn
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Foghorn » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:06 am

OK, I'm convinced.
I just ordered (pre) a bifold from Perfect circuit.
But, I have to remove the BIA to fit it. :doh:
Oh, maybe not

It's going Here new Bifold home

this is the craziest little sequencing rack I have ever built.
It is an Intellijel 104 by 7U rack (black)
but I wanted silver, Waaa...
Stay Calm - We are in this forever :hmm:
.......Not really a musician.......

feelingthin
Common Wiggler

Post by feelingthin » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:10 am

Just stopping by to say that I ordered(not a preorder) the Bifold from a place in Vancouver called Nightlife Electronics. I paid a little extra for shipping, but the exchange rate was good and I should have it by the end of the week. Also, they have the 1u lpgs. I’m sure they have plenty of both. Glad to see BC finally has a modular shop.

megarat
Wiggling with Experience

Post by megarat » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:03 pm

williamjturkel wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:34 am
It works great. I wasn’t fond of using my uFold II for CV, simply because wavefolding introduces a very specific character to a wave, and it was a bit too regular/predictable for my tastes. With the Bifold’s two channels and Mix output, however, one can get some very intriguing results.

Here’s the Bifold in action, folding two sines from my Batumi and mixing them. (Please pardon the image quality, or lack thereof.)
552B46F9-1D2F-48C9-A44D-8195E13CF5CC.jpeg
Last edited by megarat on Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StrangeAttraction
Wiggling with Experience

Post by StrangeAttraction » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:12 pm

Good idea! :yay:
I believe the filter+wavefolder has been done already, e.g. AJH has the Sonic XV diode ladder filter with a wavefolder on the output. Not an allpass filter though...
Also...just thought of trying a phaser (e.g. Kamieniec) + wavefolder!

jsco wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:36 pm
starthief wrote:

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:23 pm

StrangeAttraction wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:12 pm
I believe the filter+wavefolder has been done already, e.g. AJH has the Sonic XV diode ladder filter with a wavefolder on the output.
Isn't there a new WMD filter with a folder too? And Manis Iteritas goes filter-folder-filter.

StrangeAttraction
Wiggling with Experience

Post by StrangeAttraction » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:31 pm

True, true. Is there a NE module without a built-in digital wavefolder though? :hihi: :sstorm:
starthief wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:23 pm
StrangeAttraction wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:12 pm
I believe the filter+wavefolder has been done already, e.g. AJH has the Sonic XV diode ladder filter with a wavefolder on the output.
Isn't there a new WMD filter with a folder too? And Manis Iteritas goes filter-folder-filter.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:33 pm

They do love their folders. I'm a little surprised Desmodus doesn't have one :lol:

StrangeAttraction
Wiggling with Experience

Post by StrangeAttraction » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:41 pm

Yeah, a reverb with a wavefolder would be very interesting! It's a DSP platform as well, right? So in theory someone can add a wavefolder...
It's not all lost.. haha.
Those wavefolders on NE modules really add a lot to the range of sounds we can all get out of their modules.

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:59 pm

Can anyone with experience comment on how close the buchla side actually sounds like buchla?
I had the feedback two59 oscillators/shaper and it’s wave folder was a clone of the buchla 259 folder and it was the warmest most organic folding ive ever heard. Not sure if I’m getting the same vibe from the bifold demos so far but it’s hard to say.

williamjturkel
Wiggling with Experience

Post by williamjturkel » Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:34 pm

megarat wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:03 pm
williamjturkel wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:34 am
It works great. I wasn’t fond of using my uFold II for CV, simply because wavefolding introduces a very specific character to a wave, and it was a bit too regular/predictable for my tastes. With the Bifold’s two channels and Mix output, however, one can get some very intriguing results.

Here’s the Bifold in action, folding two sines from my Batumi and mixing them. (Please pardon the image quality, or lack thereof.)

552B46F9-1D2F-48C9-A44D-8195E13CF5CC.jpeg
Thanks! Ordered.

tvparcable
Learning to Wiggle

Post by tvparcable » Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:53 am

Been playing with mine for about a day now and the timbres it makes are really lovely. It's great to do "subtle wavefolding" with the mixer capabilities. Being able to mix between your clan dry signal and your wavefolded signal is one of my favourite things about my 0-coast, and while the timbers are quite different with the bifold they can really really yield interesting warm results.

feelingthin
Common Wiggler

Post by feelingthin » Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:35 pm

I was also concerned about warmth and whether or not I would get along with the Bifold. I was using the uFold II and needed to attenuate the sine or triangle going in to get a 'warm' or pleasant sound. I'm happy to report that the Bifold doesn't need any signal attenuation. I'm blown away by the sound actually. I find it inspiring, where as I just tolerated the uFold.

drowld
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by drowld » Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:29 am

brandonlogic wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:59 pm
Can anyone with experience comment on how close the buchla side actually sounds like buchla?
I had the feedback two59 oscillators/shaper and it’s wave folder was a clone of the buchla 259 folder and it was the warmest most organic folding ive ever heard. Not sure if I’m getting the same vibe from the bifold demos so far but it’s hard to say.
Yes highly interested in how it compares.
I was also interested in the serge folder. But if this hits both close enough..
WTB: Intellijel Quadrax, Klangbau Twin Peak Resonator, dplr

ferran
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ferran » Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:14 am

StrangeAttraction wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:41 pm
Those wavefolders on NE modules really add a lot to the range of sounds we can all get out of their modules.
:tu:
I'd like to add this thread voting for the instruo athrú, little marvel. Intellijel bifold is keeping my eye. Loving wavefolders.

Foghorn
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Foghorn » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:31 am

StrangeAttraction wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:31 pm
True, true. Is there a NE module without a built-in digital wavefolder though? :hihi: :sstorm:
I have always wondered what an "infolder" as NE calls it, really is.
Does anyone know where to find an explanation of what an "infolder" actually is?
The same as a wavefolder?
still waiting for Bifold to arrive.
Stay Calm - We are in this forever :hmm:
.......Not really a musician.......

tvparcable
Learning to Wiggle

Post by tvparcable » Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:41 pm

drowld wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:29 am
brandonlogic wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:59 pm
Yes highly interested in how it compares.
I was also interested in the serge folder. But if this hits both close enough..
For what it's worth... I've been studying the 259e on Youtube a little deeper after getting my bifold, specifically to see how they would compare. At the moment, I mostly feed my Bifold a clean triangle or a sine from my Ts-L. I don't know if the P channel is specifically inspired by this particular Buchla oscillator, but I can say the results are quite close. Keep in mind we're talking about comparing real life use to Youtube, so a massive pinch of salt is in order. That being said, I have to say I am quite blown away by the sound, whether it's close to the 259e or not, the timbres are lovely.

If you're familiar with hands-on Buchla, feel free to let me know what you'd like to hear btw, I'll be happy to record a few tests for you.

galanter2
Common Wiggler

Post by galanter2 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:20 pm

Mine arrives Monday..looking forward to it!

Return to “Eurorack Modules”