New intellijel wavefolder/crossfader: bifold

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

galanter2
Common Wiggler

Re: New intellijel wavefolder/crossfader: bifold

Post by galanter2 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:37 pm

intellijel wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:28 pm
galanter2 wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:58 pm
the ones that are attenuverters should have a center detent for a 0 setting.
We have found that pots with center detent are rarely accurate with respect to center position. It is like +/-20% accuracy! For this reason we switched to using non-detented pots on most of our products some years ago. This way you can make fine adjustment to zero things out when necessary. At least with the sym/aux pots you have the option to turn the switch to "x" (off).
Hey, thanks for the explanation. And the off position is indeed a good thing!

ari ellis
Common Wiggler

Post by ari ellis » Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:58 pm

I'm having way too much fun getting to know this module, and am thinking about making some demos. Does anyone have any requests for things they'd like to hear?

ferran
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ferran » Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:53 am

@jschussler nice video thanks !

goonlord
Learning to Wiggle

Post by goonlord » Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:03 pm

Okay, so I’m kind of a noob, but I really want to add a wavefolder to my set up. I was dead set on scooping the Bastl Timber, but the Bifold is really catching my eye. Can anyone with more experience breakdown the differences between the Timber and Bifold? Much thanks in advance!

zerodivide
Wiggling with Experience

Post by zerodivide » Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:19 pm

ari ellis wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:58 pm
I'm having way too much fun getting to know this module, and am thinking about making some demos. Does anyone have any requests for things they'd like to hear?
Bifold on STO would be great, would love to hear how it compares to a DPO
goonlord wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:03 pm
Okay, so I’m kind of a noob, but I really want to add a wavefolder to my set up. I was dead set on scooping the Bastl Timber, but the Bifold is really catching my eye. Can anyone with more experience breakdown the differences between the Timber and Bifold? Much thanks in advance!

It's really just a preference thing of what sound you get, just like choosing an Oscillator. However in the Bifold's case you get 2 different flavors , a buchla-inspired one and a serge-one (plus a blend of the 2 even). Without even using it I can already guarantee it will be more interesting than Bastl's . I say go for it
mattdennewitz wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:14 pm
got mine yesterday from nightlife in vancouver, who've had it in stock for weeks now. it sounds exactly like i hoped it would: very warm, not aggressively buzzy like the ufold, or cold and harsh like the cs-l's wavefolder. cross-fading between fold types and/or input sources is also such a good feature. dixie and bifold of course make a great pair, and it compliments an older verbos co brilliantly. sounds especially good with a (borrow) natural gate. looking forward to trying the ring mod tip tonight.
totally agree with respect to CS-L's wavefolder. Really not feeling mine. Can you plz make a demo of how your Verbos sounds through it? I'm actually a huge fan of how my Verbos CO's wavefolder sounds

ari ellis
Common Wiggler

Post by ari ellis » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:22 pm

zerodivide wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:19 pm
ari ellis wrote:
Unfortunately, STO is exactly what came out of my rack to make space for bifold! But, if there are any specific DPO sounds you can link to, it would be a fun exercise for me to try getting versions of them from my intellijel complex osc (dixie+rubicon+bifold).

feelingthin
Common Wiggler

Post by feelingthin » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:52 am

ari ellis wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:22 pm
zerodivide wrote:
ari ellis wrote:
Unfortunately, STO is exactly what came out of my rack to make space for bifold! But, if there are any specific DPO sounds you can link to, it would be a fun exercise for me to try getting versions of them from my intellijel complex osc (dixie+rubicon+bifold).
I also had a dixie rubicon bifold combo and ditched the dixie for a mangrove. Consider the mangrove osc as your modulation source. The tracking is near perfect.

Foghorn
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Foghorn » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:18 am

feelingthin wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:52 am
ari ellis wrote:
zerodivide wrote:

I also had a dixie rubicon bifold combo and ditched the dixie for a mangrove. Consider the mangrove osc as your modulation source. The tracking is near perfect.
I received mine yesterday and I am pairing it with a Rubicon and a Dixie II.
But recent comments here make me want to try one of my STOs instead of the Dixie II
They would be basically interchangeable as they are both 8 HP.
I almost cant believe how dense and close to the panels edges the circuit board is on the Bifold.
Has anyone had any problems with the Bifold yet?
.............................................................................................................................
mangrove huh I have never quite understood Whimsical Raps
And this description of Mangrove sounds fairly whimsical to me
Whimsical Raps wrote: "As the earth shakes under foot, a whistle blows on the wind."
Stay Calm - We are in this forever :hmm:
.......Not really a musician.......

galanter2
Common Wiggler

Post by galanter2 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:28 pm

I have 2 Bifolds. No problems and they have almost identical response.

feelingthin
Common Wiggler

Post by feelingthin » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:51 pm

Foghorn wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:18 am
feelingthin wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:52 am
ari ellis wrote:
zerodivide wrote:

I received mine yesterday and I am pairing it with a Rubicon and a Dixie II.
But recent comments here make me want to try one of my STOs instead of the Dixie II
They would be basically interchangeable as they are both 8 HP.
I almost cant believe how dense and close to the panels edges the circuit board is on the Bifold.
Has anyone had any problems with the Bifold yet?
.............................................................................................................................
mangrove huh I have never quite understood Whimsical Raps
And this description of Mangrove sounds fairly whimsical to me
Whimsical Raps wrote: "As the earth shakes under foot, a whistle blows on the wind."
The Dixie ii+ is good because the octave switch is helpful for tzfm work. Try the Dixie an octave lower and see how much better it sounds than at the same octave as the Rubicon.

The reason I mentioned Mangrove is that it has a couple functions that make it useful as a modulation source. One, the triangle out affects the Rubicon fm in a way that I prefer to the dixie sine/tri. Mostly because it can be modulated through barrel and air inputs. Second, when using the saw waveform, the formant control steps down in octave, fifth, maj 7, 2nd octave down(going off memory). That makes it useful for ring mod or fm. I get real cool tones using a fifth down. Try tuning your dixie to different intervals and see what happens with the tzfm on the rubicon. It can really open up new sounds. Not ground breaking, but I keep a zeroscope handy and a sheet of musical notes and their frequencies so I can tune to them quickly. Or do it by ear!

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:32 pm

i like this sound ( majella implexus desktop synth).

would the bifold qualifie for this type of sounds ?

look please from min 0:28

Foghorn
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Foghorn » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:32 pm

feelingthin wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:51 pm

The Dixie ii+ is good because the octave switch is helpful for tzfm work. Try the Dixie an octave lower and see how much better it sounds than at the same octave as the Rubicon.

The reason I mentioned Mangrove is that it has a couple functions that make it useful as a modulation source. One, the triangle out affects the Rubicon fm in a way that I prefer to the dixie sine/tri. Mostly because it can be modulated through barrel and air inputs. Second, when using the saw waveform, the formant control steps down in octave, fifth, maj 7, 2nd octave down(going off memory). That makes it useful for ring mod or fm. I get real cool tones using a fifth down. Try tuning your dixie to different intervals and see what happens with the tzfm on the rubicon. It can really open up new sounds. Not ground breaking, but I keep a zeroscope handy and a sheet of musical notes and their frequencies so I can tune to them quickly. Or do it by ear!
I never quite looked at mangrove closely before.
You are def right that it is a very deep VCO.
With just Dixies sine into TZFM, I am amazed how much change I can get with small changes in Dixie's frequency. (when not harmonically tuned)
I mean when running through Bifold.
Same CV into Rubicon's v/oct and a VPME-T43 Precision adder, plus a 4 part sequence into the adder then adder output into Dixie's v/oct.
IE... mixing sequence into main CV for just Dixie.
Awesome sequence of timbres.
Wow, small change in modulator frequency and its "clangorious".
Sometimes so smooth and sometimes it hurts.
Anyway, thanks.
PS I was just making a joke about Mannequins. They seem to go towards a little strange.
But it takes that strange type of genius to create something as deep as Mangrove.
I like it.

intellijel
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by intellijel » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:48 am

Here are some wild sounds from Bifold paired with IME modules:

feelingthin
Common Wiggler

Post by feelingthin » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:18 pm

Foghorn wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:32 pm
feelingthin wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:51 pm

I never quite looked at mangrove closely before.
You are def right that it is a very deep VCO.
With just Dixies sine into TZFM, I am amazed how much change I can get with small changes in Dixie's frequency. (when not harmonically tuned)
I mean when running through Bifold.
Same CV into Rubicon's v/oct and a VPME-T43 Precision adder, plus a 4 part sequence into the adder then adder output into Dixie's v/oct.
IE... mixing sequence into main CV for just Dixie.
Awesome sequence of timbres.
Wow, small change in modulator frequency and its "clangorious".
Sometimes so smooth and sometimes it hurts.
Anyway, thanks.
PS I was just making a joke about Mannequins. They seem to go towards a little strange.
But it takes that strange type of genius to create something as deep as Mangrove.
I like it.
Cool! I like the idea of sending two different sequences. One to the Rubicon and different one to the modulating oscillator. Didn’t think of that. Makes me think I should buy Scales. Anyways, back to bifold!

Foghorn
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Foghorn » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:45 am

Is my Bifold on Steroids?
Sounds more like it is on acid.
I guess this is what I was getting at before.
It is capable of some very nice and calm sounds.
Just before it goes into crazyfold, it sounds just a little warm, then a little wild, and then (see above)
Yeah, the neatest thing that Bifold has shown me, again, is modulating Rubicon with Dixie.
What a great pair.
Last edited by Foghorn on Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drowld
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by drowld » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:09 pm

Funky40 wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:32 pm
i like this sound ( majella implexus desktop synth).

would the bifold qualifie for this type of sounds ?

look please from min 0:28

Damn nice :)
I guess it can obviously it's a lot of wavefolding in this video. With the right oscillator/filters and a bifold you can obviously achieve thoses sounds
WTB: Intellijel Quadrax, Klangbau Twin Peak Resonator, dplr

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:02 pm

some crossfading between two different oscillators/ pitches

Dragonaut
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Dragonaut » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:08 pm

zerodivide wrote:

It's really just a preference thing of what sound you get, just like choosing an Oscillator. However in the Bifold's case you get 2 different flavors , a buchla-inspired one and a serge-one (plus a blend of the 2 even). Without even using it I can already guarantee it will be more interesting than Bastl's .
But... the Bastl has three flavors plus the overdrive with cross fading...
https://soundcloud.com/acaciabridge (IDM, Ambient, Bass, Downtempo)
www.instagram.com/dr_science_phd (synths, hikes, and views.)

Return to “Eurorack Modules”