How To Use Ableton Midi Clips To Sequence Modular

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

n2n
Learning to Wiggle

How To Use Ableton Midi Clips To Sequence Modular

Post by n2n » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:11 am

Hi. I've got Ableton 10 connected to a keystep pro (first version) via usb and I'm using the gate/pitch outputs on the keystep to play the modular. This is fine for sequencing / playing the modular using the keystep step sequencer / arp although I prefer to write the patterns in Ableton clips.

I can't figure out how to set up ableton/keystep so the clips provide the sequence, effectively sending the pattern from ableton to the keystep and out to the modular.

would really appreciate a run through on how to configure this.
n

Kattefjaes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: How To Use Ableton Midi Clips To Sequence Modular

Post by Kattefjaes » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:55 am

Do you mean Keystep pro? You say "first version"- as far as I know, there is only one version of the KSP. Do you mean the Keystep?

In any case, I don't own a KSP, but here's how you'd use the BSP as a MIDI to CV convertor, which is what I think you're trying to do:

You may need to use common sense, refer to Keystep pro manuals etc. to achieve the same sort of result, but it'd be a similar sort of config on the KSP.

n2n
Learning to Wiggle

Post by n2n » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:03 pm

Hey. Thanks. Ah Yes, ‘ Keystep’ not pro version ..

This doesn’t appear to help with the ableton aspect which I suspect is the part that is causing issues.

Kattefjaes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:07 pm

Yes, Keystep and Keystep pro are rather different. You need to check the basics, i.e. which channel you're sending on, which channel the keystep is receiving on etc..

n2n
Learning to Wiggle

Post by n2n » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:04 am

thanks Kattefjaes.. yah was exactly that. had Abletons external instrument midi channel's muddled with what the keystep was expecting.

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”