Learning to patch a particular system

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

thenoureldin
Learning to Wiggle

Learning to patch a particular system

Post by thenoureldin » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:44 am

I'm looking to learn modular and got myself a Doepfer case and researched some modules that I want to buy

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1351608

I want something to jam to with my guitar and create ambient soundscapes and melodic sequences with.

But I don't know how to go about learning to patch a particular system. These modules aren't on VCV rack and besides my experience is limited on it since my laptop can't handle it at all.

Every time I look at YouTube tutorials they are using different modules and so I get lost.

so I want to learn on a real system and really take the time to know it.

Could someone walk me through some patches on the above system or point me in the right direction. Or should I just give up on the dream and sell the case.

How did you guys start. Also would appreciate any pointers you have on my system for the purpose I want it for.

luketeaford
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Learning to patch a particular system

Post by luketeaford » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:47 am

Start by learning what the various types of modules do. For instance, QPAS is a stereo filter so if you plug something into it, what will it do? What are the outputs? How does the sound change when it's modulated? Which signals would be interesting modulation signals?

When you start buying modules, go slowly and buy just a few at a time so you understand what each adds to your instrument and how the possibilities grow.

AMillionMonkeys
Common Wiggler

Post by AMillionMonkeys » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:58 am

It’s mostly a matter of learning about the various module functions and purpose of each jack/knob in your system. Pretty quickly, you’ll start to notice that there’s a limited set of common functions across all modules that will make it easier to understand any module’s functionality.

I think I spent about 4 months reading, watching videos, and playing with ModularGrid before ordering my first set of modules. Even then, patching for the first time was a little scary.

You have selected some very popular modules that should all have decent tutorials on YouTube, I’d recommend watching those. They might be hard to understand but keep watching them, reading manuals, and trying to comprehend things and eventually, it will click.

My experience has been that modular synths require a fair amount of information consumption to master. If seeking that out and learning your modules sounds like fun, hang onto the case and take things slowly. If that sounds like a chore and you want other people to tell you how to use your stuff, you may find yourself struggling.

Keep at it and you’ll be glad you did! This stuff is a ton of fun once you get going!

Kawouddd
Common Wiggler

Post by Kawouddd » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:13 am

I thrive on being lost and completely out of my depth, and for that reason ignoring the advice above has worked superbly for me 😂 I saw a system that could make noises I wanted to make with pretty much no reviews and no availability anywhere (Erica liquid sky dada noise system Ftr), pushed the button and haven’t really looked back. The first twenty minutes was spent without even getting any sound out of it 😂 But trial, error, patch cables, *some* video watching and progressive learning has really been what has worked for me. Identifying problems and blockages and filling those gaps. Learning has been very progressive / stepped with moments of joyous revelation.

I have no doubt done this appallingly and have made a tonne of suboptimal choices, but I’ve never experienced the joy I’ve experienced with eurorack with any other system or come so close to making really quite acceptable noises. I work best in isolation and through applied obsessive tinkering, mind, and I think this makes eurorack particularly well suited to my learning style. For normal people (I am considerably along the spectrum) the far more sensible approaches described above are likely to be a better idea. Eurorack benefits from application imu.

batch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batch » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:37 am

Couple of other resources I’d recommend are Chris Meyers Learning Modular courses and/ or the Modular on the Moon book. Both are reasonably priced and are more curated - so go through concepts in a logical order.

Rauls World of Synths is also great for Doepfer modules.
Monday Night Modular - a weekly virtual meetup @ 8pm PT

FS: x0x Heart $200, Headphones 1U $50 and lots more

jebusrice
Common Wiggler

Post by jebusrice » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:26 am

thenoureldin wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:44 am
I'm looking to learn modular and got myself a Doepfer case and researched some modules that I want to buy

I don't see anything in there that will get your guitar up to Eurorack levels so the signals are loud enough. Mutable Instuments ears is one option, but there are quite a few others I think.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/mutable-instruments-ears

Raindeer
Common Wiggler

Post by Raindeer » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:04 pm

jebusrice wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:26 am
thenoureldin wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:44 am

I don't see anything in there that will get your guitar up to Eurorack levels so the signals are loud enough. Mutable Instuments ears is one option, but there are quite a few others I think.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/mutable-instruments-ears
Veils will do it fine if needed (line level from a preamp not direct from the instrument) but I think he means jamming Eurorack alongside guitar, not feeding it through.

ATW
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ATW » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:22 pm

That is a workable set modules to get up and running, given some of your goals. Marbles is a good choice for getting musical things happening in a potentially jam-friendly way. Start with Marbles sequencing Plaits, using a simple scale from Marbles for the pitch CV to follow. Then roughly tune Plaits to your guitar. Try sending Marble’s gates to the Plaits trigger input to strike its internal Low pass gate and get staccato plucks. Patch the output to the filter and then the vca.

Then perhaps patch ochd outputs to some of Plaits inputs to get things modulating. Or combine some random cv from a Pam’s output with an ochd output in Veils, then take that submix with more complex waveforms and use that to modulate something else—the filter resonance, for example. And because you’re running those signals through Veils, you can attenuate them to dial Ochd and Pam’s up/down and kind of jam with those parameters and get things to scream or calm down.

Even more fun could be to take that complex cv waveform submix from Veils into one the Disting’s quantizer modes and using the output for the pitch cv for Plaits instead of Marbles. Or add Marbles cv into Veils and combine with Ochd and Pams, play around with which of those 3 CV signals ‘drives’ and which ones have less influence, for example.

Or use Marbles for drum patterns and send them to Plaits in one of the drum models. Send an LfO through veils and into the Model
Input on plaits to sweep through different models, using Veils to attenuate the CV range until something interesting is happening.

Have fun!

Lux A Turner
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Lux A Turner » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:10 pm

ATW wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:22 pm
Or use Marbles for drum patterns and send them to Plaits in one of the drum models. Send an LfO through veils and into the Model Input on plaits to sweep through different models, using Veils to attenuate the CV range until something interesting is happening.
A neat variation on that technique is shown here. Instant jamming material :party:

It may stop, but it never ends.

My Rack - v1.0

Return to “Eurorack Modules”