Sample Drum HACKING

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Paroxysm
Learning to Wiggle

Sample Drum HACKING

Post by Paroxysm » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:49 pm

Hey, to start off, I know nearly nothing about synth DIY, I've tried soldering and despite my technique all the joints failed and I temporarily gave up.

I'm really tired of my Erica Synths Sample Drum not being stereo, and not having proper time stretching parameters. So I want to hack it

ANY AND ALL ADVICE OR LINKS ETC ARE APPRECIATED. Thanks.

jebusrice
Common Wiggler

Re: Sample Drum HACKING

Post by jebusrice » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:55 pm

Paroxysm wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:49 pm
Hey, to start off, I know nearly nothing about synth DIY, I've tried soldering and despite my technique all the joints failed and I temporarily gave up.

I'm really tired of my Erica Synths Sample Drum not being stereo, and not having proper time stretching parameters. So I want to hack it

ANY AND ALL ADVICE OR LINKS ETC ARE APPRECIATED. Thanks.
Sell the sample drum and find something else that does what you want is my advice, given the level of skill and technical understanding you've described. I'm not saying you can't learn what you need, but this will take time and effort.

There are plenty of online resources to learn electronics, if you want to go this route. Chances are you wont be turning this module from a mono to stereo architecture without a complete (hardware and software) redesign. I'd imagine the time stretching capabilities are in firmware, which requires knowledge of programming whatever microcontroller family is inside the unit, plus a copy of the source code. I don't think Erica Synths are open source so chances are you'd be writing from scratch (I could be wrong, I haven't checked!).

If you really want to start "hacking" modules a good place to start would be with devices that are open source and have available schematics. Mutable instruments would be a good place to start maybe.

Just my 5c.

Sachizm
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Sachizm » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:43 pm

I just use an effects module to make it stereo. Running it dry if thats what I want. I variously use X-Pan, Monsoon or Qu-Bit Prism for this role. As the other person said. You need a coder, not soldering to give it time stretch. You could even ask Erica Synths for the code to make a new version. They might be cool with it. In the may Mutable did with Clouds.

xcc
Wiggling with Experience

Post by xcc » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:26 pm

I’m guessing it’s more about coding than soldering. Does it REALLY need to be stereo? If so consider a Bitbox maybe. Otherwise the Sampledrum is amazing and as mentioned you could use some effects to stereoize your junk.

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:16 pm

It already loads 2 samples and has 2 outputs, so you could just split your stereo sample and load the left in A and the right in B, now you are playing stereo samples!

Changing how the time stretching works is only going to possible for someone who has access to the code. And I don’t think it’s open source, so..
maybe you’d like to buy some nice used modules? Free cables with purchase!!

viewtopic.php?f=74&t=235367&p=3313562&h ... s#p3313562

ATW
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ATW » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:18 pm

Zymos wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:16 pm
It already loads 2 samples and has 2 outputs, so you could just split your stereo sample and load the left in A and the right in B, now you are playing stereo samples!

Changing how the time stretching works is only going to possible for someone who has access to the code. And I don’t think it’s open source, so..
:yay:

Paroxysm
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Paroxysm » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:58 pm

So... Yes, it does have to be stereo. Is music stereo? Yes, so sampling should be stereo. I want to use sampling methods on songs and other audio sources that have a complex stereo field. So like chop up songs for remixes etc. I know that it is 2 channel and 2 out, so that makes me think that it could be a firmware fix that could make it one channel, stereo. I don't want 2 editing pages for (L) and (R), I want (L + R) in one editing page in the GUI. This is not currently possible with the current firmware.

The Sample Drum with it's flexibility and clean UX design is PERFECT for breakcore and hardcore sampling, except for these issues.
I don't care about DIY, I want the world's best and smallest sampler.

Paroxysm
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Paroxysm » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:57 pm

NoLegs wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:22 pm
Get an octatrack IMO
Really would be ideal, except the OT doesn't have trig preview, so the only way to hear a trig at step 64 of a sequence, for instance, is to play back the entire sequence and wait till the trig plays. Snail speed workflow, except for non-deterministic techno. I already have a Digitone and I plan to sequence my Sample Drum with that.

NoLegs
Ultra Wiggler

Post by NoLegs » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:22 pm

Yes, but that is like discounting it for one small thing, while in a thread about hacking an existing module that has much more of the functionality you're seeking missing than just trig preview.

Also, don't get me wrong - I love my Sample Drum, I use it all the time. This just seems like someone asking how to turn their guitar into a piano or some other instrument.

Paroxysm
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Paroxysm » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:19 am

In your analogy, the Sample Drum was the piano the whole time, but it only had as many keys as strings of the guitar, so like 6.

So I feel like with the Sample Drum I'm playing a 6 - key piano, in your analogy.

Paroxysm
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Paroxysm » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:28 am

NoLegs wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:22 pm
Yes, but that is like discounting it for one small thing, while in a thread about hacking an existing module that has much more of the functionality you're seeking missing than just trig preview.

Also, don't get me wrong - I love my Sample Drum, I use it all the time. This just seems like someone asking how to turn their guitar into a piano or some other instrument.
Maybe I may have come across as judgemental in my assessment of this module, the Sample Drum, and I in no way mean to devalue it for the specific combination of things about it that I like and dislike. The reasons for this hack of the Sample Drum are wrought from my personal experience with it.

jkanizzle
Common Wiggler

Post by jkanizzle » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:32 pm

These were my two biggest complaints. Then I went with a Bitbox Micro, sold the Sample Drum, and never looked back.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”